Started "The X-Files" a couple of days ago

Psychedelic

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I'm im Season 1, episode 11 so far.

Here are my observations:

- I can see why this show is a timeless classic. It has a very unique vibe. Mulder is such a lovable nutcase, and Scully is his perfect counterpoint. I used to watch it back when I was a kid (~8 years old), and I remember it being much scarier than it actually is. I didn't know English back then, so I would have no idea what the characters would say, but the show used to scare me shitless.

- The show is very biased in Mulder's favor. Before I watched it, I'd have expected neutral phenomena to happen, with Mulder giving out-there explanations while Scully gave rational ones, leaving the viewers to draw their own conclusions. The actual show dynamics' aren't like that, and the full-on batshit insane supernatural shit is always what actually happens. It's kind of disappointing.

- Given the above, It doesn't make sense why Scully is still a skeptic. She sees supernatural shit like an astronaut's face changing and becoming that of an alien's, a ghost killing people and crushing their throats from the insides, and still refuses to believe in the supernatural.

- Monster of the week episodes can be hit-or-miss, but the main plot that is progressing slowly is a very interesting one. Alien-related episodes always steal the show. The first two episodes of the show were particularly strong.

I've never watched the X files, but when I was a kid I always figured it was scary as fire.

Re-watched the first season (or 2, cant remember) last year. Some of the episodes I'd completely forgotten about, Ghost in the Machine, Space, Eve and Darkness falls were probably my favourite episodes in the series, but Squeeze and Tombs are probably x-files goat. The idea of some guy being able to grab you by the arse hole while you're taking a dump is kinda terrifying.

Need to re-watch some of the outer limits episodes as well. See how well they hold up.

Last edited:

Here are my observations:

- I can see why this show is a timeless classic. It has a very unique vibe. Mulder is such a lovable nutcase, and Scully is his perfect counterpoint. I used to watch it back when I was a kid (~8 years old), and I remember it being much scarier than it actually is. I didn't know English back then, so I would have no idea what the characters would say, but the show used to scare me shitless.

- The show is very biased in Mulder's favor. Before I watched it, I'd have expected neutral phenomena to happen, with Mulder giving out-there explanations while Scully gave rational ones, leaving the viewers to draw their own conclusions. The actual show dynamics' aren't like that, and the full-on batshit insane supernatural shit is always what actually happens. It's kind of disappointing.

- Given the above, It doesn't make sense why Scully is still a skeptic. She sees supernatural shit like an astronaut's face changing and becoming that of an alien's, a ghost killing people and crushing their throats from the insides, and still refuses to believe in the supernatural.

- Monster of the week episodes can be hit-or-miss, but the main plot that is progressing slowly is a very interesting one. Alien-related episodes always steal the show. The first two episodes of the show were particularly strong.

Much like with Supernatural, everyone else seems to love the over arching storyline and find the monster of the week episodes to be the weaker episodes. I'm the total opposite. I'm all about monster of the week.

Check out Millenium when you're done with the X Files. The total number of good episodes is lower, but the really good Millenium episodes are better than the best of X Files imo.

Check out Millenium when you're done with the X Files. The total number of good episodes is lower, but the really good Millenium episodes are better than the best of X Files imo.

in.gif

I'm not sure i'll find Millenium better than the X files, since I'm a sucker for the Alien conspiracy mythos, but I checked out Millenium and I am down to watch it. Downloading it legally as we speak.

Much like with Supernatural, everyone else seems to love the over arching storyline and find the monster of the week episodes to be the weaker episodes. I'm the total opposite. I'm all about monster of the week.

Great show. Frank Black was a pimp.

in.gif

I'm not sure i'll find Millenium better than the X files, since I'm a sucker for the Alien conspiracy mythos, but I checked out Millenium and I am down to watch it. Downloading it legally as we speak.

One of the best TV theme songs ever too.

I loved it as a kid, should rewatch it for sure.

Scully is still hot, in case anyone's interested. As a kid in the 90's, she was right up there alongside the likes of Xena, Jenny McCarty, and the bassist from the California Dreams, in my book. Here's a recent pic.

image.jpeg

in.gif

The first two seasons are good. The third was one of the worst dropoffs in the history of any series.

I love the x-files, i'm nearly 40 and only watched a single episode during my childhood. I started watching early last year and have made it through the original episodes. Just waiting for season 10 & 11 to come onto Netflix.

It's funny how Scully transformed from non-descript little ginger to fucking uber sexy hot over the course of a few seasons. I still can't decided if she had some work done.

Probably my favorite show of all time, Scully is so hot in her own little way, especially when she gets all fired up, "FEDERAL AGENT! FREEZE!"

I love the x files. I watched it as a kid and have gone back and watched it a couple times since then. My only beef is how Mulder is like "see Scully, your science doesn't offer an explanation to why this guy is able to break into these sealed rooms to kill people," or whatever. Look, the search for an explanation in itself is scientific. You rule out all the other possibilities and you're left with the explanation that this guy can stretch his body out until he's so thin that he fits through the ventilation system or whatever.

Science isn't a dogma that has a standardized set of answers that are supposed to explain everything you may encounter. Science is simply the methodology for finding out why something is by eliminating all of the reasons why it isn't.

Even as a kid that fucking bothered me. I thought no they are at least partially to blame for a generation of morons who think science is a religion of some kind.

Also, I forgot how good the episodes with Robert Patrick were. They were some of the best.

My favorite episodes of the show:

1. X-Cops(season 7)
2. Anasazi(season 2 finale)
3. Jose Chung's From Outer Space(season 3)
4. Paper Hearts(season 4)
5. Conduit(season 1)
6. Humbug (season 2)
7. Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man(season 4)
8. Die Hand Die Verletzt(season 2)
9. Clyde Bruckmans Final Reprose(season 3)
10. Unusual Suspects(season 5)
11. Je Souhaite(season 7)
12. The Unnatural(season 6)
13. El Mundo Gira(season 4)
14. Leonard Betts(season 4)
15. Hollywood A.D.(season 7)
16. Beyond the Sea(season 1)

I didn't like the new mini series season they did recently, pretty lame.

- Monster of the week episodes can be hit-or-miss, but the main plot that is progressing slowly is a very interesting one. Alien-related episodes always steal the show.

Boy are you in for a surprise!

I mean that in the sarcastic sense, not the "it will only get better from here!" sense.

The aliens drilling holes into that one dude's teeth really stuck with me

Back