Starz's BLACK SAILS (Season 4 Discussion)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: July 20, 2016

Starz Announces BLACK SAILS Fourth Season Will Be the Last Season

Black-Sails-072016-Dragonlord.jpg

The end of the road for Black Sails is in sight. Starz on Wednesday announced that the previously announced fourth season of the pirate drama Treasure Island prequel series will be its last. The series will return with a 10-episode fourth and final season in 2017.

"It's a rare privilege in television to be given the kind of creative freedom we've enjoyed on this show over the last four years," co-creator Jonathan E. Steinberg said in a statement. "While it was a difficult decision for us to make this season our last, we simply couldn't imagine anything beyond it that would make for a better ending to the story nor a more natural handoff to Treasure Island."

"Jon Steinberg and Robert Levine, along with their crew and the phenomenal cast, have delivered a spectacular take on the most legendary pirate story in literature, and this final season will bring us to the shores of Treasure Island as was always intended,” said Starz managing director Carmi Zlotnik. “Black Sails has been a tremendous success; from the loyal fan following and strong viewership numbers to awards recognition and the skill of our world-class production in Cape Town, we could not be more proud of this very special series.”

Starz Announces 'Black Sails' Fourth Season Will Be the Last Season

Update: October 2, 2015

Full Trailer for BLACK SAILS Season 3; Premieres January 23

352q83t.jpg

Starz has released the official season three trailer for its Emmy-winning original series Black Sails. The ten-episode third season of the authentic high seas drama, returning in January 23, 2016, follows the most feared pirate of the day, Captain Flint (Toby Stephens), and takes place twenty years prior to Robert Louis Stevenson’s classic “Treasure Island.” Ray Stevenson (Rome) joins the cast as the iconic pirate ‘Blackbeard.’

In the wake of the burning of Charles Town, all the New World lives in fear of Captain Flint. But when his campaign of terror crosses over into madness, it falls to John Silver to locate the man within the monster before it’s too late. Meanwhile, with Eleanor Guthrie in prison, Jack Rackham oversees a new Nassau, hoping to secure his legacy as a king among thieves. All will be tested when a new threat arrives, one the pirates could never have anticipated. It knows them. It understands them. And in the blink of an eye, it will turn them against each other.

Production is about to begin on the recently announced fourth season in Cape Town, South Africa.

Black Sails Season 3 Trailer and Poster Hit the High Seas

Last edited:
Update: October 12, 2013

Starz Unveils New Trailer for BLACK SAILS at Comic-Con

Black-Sails-Hannah-New-Eleanor-Guthrie-Dragonlord.jpg

At New York Comic Con, Starz debuted a new trailer for its pirate drama Black Sails and the first trailer for the second season of Da Vinci's Demons. Executive produced by Michael Bay and created by Jon Steinberg (Jericho, Human Target) and Robert Levine (Touch), Black Sails centers on the tales of Captain Flint and his men, and takes place two decades before the events of Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island.

Toby Stephens (Die Another Day) stars as Flint, the most brilliant and most feared pirate captain of his day, who takes on a fast-talking young addition to his crew who goes by the name John Silver. Threatened with extinction on all sides, they fight for the survival of the notorious criminal haven New Providence Island.

The series also stars Zach McGowan (Shameless) as rival Captain Charles Vane; Toby Schmitz as Rackham, Vane's right hand; Hannah New as Eleanor Guthrie, a determined young woman who runs the smuggling operation on New Providence; Jessica Parker Kennedy as Max, a tortured young prostitute who sees the dark side of New Providence; Clara Paget as the beautiful but cold-blooded Anne Bonny and Tom Hopper (Merlin) as Billy Bones, boatswain of Flint's ship. Black Sails already has been renewed for a second season.

Starz Debuts New Trailers For Black Sails and Da Vinci’s Demons

Update: December 26, 2013

New Featurette for BLACK SAILS, Premieres January 25th

Black-Sails-Zach-McGowan-Dragonlord.jpg

Starz has brought online this inside look at Black Sails, premiering on January 25th at 9pm ET/PT. The pirate adventure centers on the tales of Captain Flint (Toby Stephens) and his men and takes place twenty years prior to Robert Louis Stevenson's classic "Treasure Island." Flint, the most brilliant and most feared pirate captain of his day, takes on a fast-talking young addition to his crew who goes by the name John Silver (Luke Arnold).

Threatened with extinction on all sides, they fight for the survival of New Providence Island, the most notorious criminal haven of its day - a debauched paradise teeming with pirates, prostitutes, thieves and fortune seekers, a place defined by both its enlightened ideals and its stunning brutality.

The series also stars Zach McGowan, Toby Schmitz, Hannah New, Jessica Parker Kennedy, Clara Paget, Tom Hopper and Billy Bones. Black Sails is executive produced by Michael Bay (Transformers) and his Platinum Dunes partners Brad Fuller and Andrew Form, producers on The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) and Nightmare on Elm Street (2009).

The series was created by showrunner and executive producer Jon Steinberg (creator Jericho, Human Target) and co-executive producer Robert Levine (Touch). Black Sails will debut with an eight-episode season in January 25, 2014, exclusively on Starz.

New Featurette for Starz's BLACK SAILS, Premieres January 25th

From the previews I've seen I wish it looked more realistic like the Wire and less chick fantasy like Twilight. I could really get into a dark gritty pirate show but these dudes look too clean and friendly.

Starz, eh? I hope it has as much sex, violence, and badassery as Spartacus. Better writing/dialogue than the last two seasons though.

I predict this will be like Spartacus. But I have all the movie channels at a discount, so I may as well watch.

I think Zach McGowan as Captain Charles Vane will be the series' fan favorite similar to Crixus/Gannicus from Spartacus or Daryl from The Walking Dead.

Starz, eh? I hope it has as much sex, violence, and badassery as Spartacus. Better writing/dialogue than the last two seasons though.

Yeah..probably a lot of gay pirate sex. Just like Spartacus (minus the pirates)

Sweet Pirate Sex and Violence , Starz style

if it is a pirate version of spartacus, they should cut the shitty awkward dialogues and do 45 minutes of sex and slow motion violent action music videos right away in every episode.

if it is a pirate version of spartacus, they should cut the shitty awkward dialogues and do 45 minutes of sex and slow motion violent action music videos right away in every episode.

You're forgetting the most important part: the pirates will fuck each other.

Needs more rotten teeth and less pretty women by the looks of it. I want a gritty and dark pirate show.

I'll still give it a shot most likely.

I'll make a worthy op when I'm not posting from my phone.

Great first ep. Lot's of piratey swash buckling, swords, guns, and gratuitous nudity. They're obviously just trying to make a fun pirate show and not sticking to an overwhelming amount of realistic drivel.

Update: January 18, 2014

Watch the Entire First Episode for Starz's BLACK SAILS Online

Black-Sails-1012-Dragonlord.jpg

A week before its series premiere, Starz has released the entire first episode of its new pirate drama Black Sails. The eight-episode first season follows Captain Flint (Toby Stephens) and his men 20 years before the story of Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island takes place. Described as a brilliant and feared pirate captain, Flint takes on a fast-talking addition to his crew, John Silver (Luke Arnold). They fight for the survival of New Providence Island, an infamous criminal haven teeming with pirates, prostitutes, thieves and fortune seekers, a place defined by ideals and brutality.

Zach McGowan, Hannah New, Jessica Parker Kennedy and Clara Paget co-star. Black Sails is executive produced by Michael Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form. The series, already renewed for a second season, takes place 20 years prior to Robert Louis Stevenson's classic Treasure Island and hails from executive producer Michael Bay and his Platinum Dunes shingle. Black Sails will air Saturdays at 9 p.m. staring Jan. 25 on Starz. Watch the entire series premiere below.

Watch the Full First Episode of Michael Bay's Starz Pirate Drama

yea been waiting for this.
not expecting shakespeare, no monkeys involved.
just hoping for decent entertainment.

I'm downloading the pilot as I type this, I hope it's as good as it's looking to be.

Back