Stipe has a chance in this fight

Jones' HW championship is a joke. He ducked Cormier at that weight and only moved up when the division was depleted. Plus.. that juicin'

Jon knows what he's doing. Stipe will have the deck stacked against him. I'd love to be proven wrong tho.

Based on what?

Jones has never fought a more skilled or dangerous opponent at any weight class.

You could argue maybe DC is as skilled, but he’s much shorter and was much lighter and he does not possess the skill or power striking that Stipe does.

This is by far Jones’ biggest and most skilled challenger of his career and he’s coming off a free, gift wrapped, walkover, squash match win. Your vision is colored by that free win over Gane. Gane doesn’t exist in the same universe as stipe.

In terms of skill, pedigree and size, Jones has never fought anybody like stipe.

Your only argument is his age. That is silly, considering Jones is less active, coming off an injury, 37 years old and hasn’t fought anybody of note in almost five years
I mean Stipe is just as inactive. His last fight was a ko loss 3 years ago. Jon also has only 1 fight in the past 4 years but his was at least more recent. Stipe is much older, has multiple ko losses and years of punishment at HW under his belt.

You're 100% right about Stipe's skill. If this was 4 years ago I'd be all in on Stipe. But every day it gets harder to see a path to victory for Stipe.

Based on what?

Jones has never fought a more skilled or dangerous opponent at any weight class.

You could argue maybe DC is as skilled, but he’s much shorter and was much lighter and he does not possess the skill or power striking that Stipe does.

This is by far Jones’ biggest and most skilled challenger of his career and he’s coming off a free, gift wrapped, walkover, squash match win. Your vision is colored by that free win over Gane. Gane doesn’t exist in the same universe as stipe.

In terms of skill, pedigree and size, Jones has never fought anybody like stipe.

Your only argument is his age. That is silly, considering Jones is less active, coming off an injury, 37 years old and hasn’t fought anybody of note in almost five years

Generally I agree, but that last sentence doesn't matter. Jon is an anomaly. Regular rules do not apply. Remember many thought Cyril Gane was going to be a problem and he is for everyone else. Jon straight up son'd him. Son'd him after a long long break from fighting. Walked right in the cage and looked like he didn't miss a beat. He will be ready, I don't care what he says about not training or this or that. He comes in ready to go.

To be really fair to stipe, DC ko’d him off the side he had just had his eye poked on, so he didn’t see the punch coming as well

Except that Jon is the UFC HW champion which makes it mean something when it comes to ranking and who fights who and the future of the HW division. I can almost guarantee you that if Jon loses, there will be a rematch - which we probably will have to wait years to see as Jon doesnt give a fuck about holding up the division for forever.

And as a fellow dane I would say that in general, MMA is a miniscule sport here in Denmark. Very few people follow it, and most people here don't even know who Stipe or Jon Jones is. Tyson is still a household name 20 years after his last real fight, which says something about how big he was. People think Conor was/is big...Tyson was HUGE.

Of a gifted shot and 1 win.

If Stipe was 34 Jones wouldn't think about taking this fight for a second.

I am backing Stipe in this. May the Gods grant him a victory. And Jones pay.

Who cares, they are both out of their prime. The fight means nothing.

It's a fight that's as important as Paul vs. Tyson.

And Paul vs. Tyson is definitely the bigger fight.

As I'm Danish, I'm following danish media. And Tyson-Paul is way bigger than Jones-Stipe here, talking about media coverage.

Oh yeah the fight that has officially been announced that has a date and had a press conference vs the one that's been a rumor with no real set date has more media coverage... Yeah lets go with that metric.

Some of y'all are dense and are really out of touch.

Well for Jones, it will probably be a harder fight than Gane... sadly. Also, beating Jones sounds motivating as hell, I think most people would come prepared. What's annoying is all the waiting, the interim belt... but the fight might be cool, you never know.

Last edited:
Who cares if Stipe has a chance or doesn't have a chance.

Jon Jones should ONLY be allowed to defend his belt against the Aspinall/Blaydes winner. Period. And if Jon doesn't want that fight, he can vacate the belt. Stipe hasn't fought for over 3 years already, and he lost his last fight. This is a joke.

I don’t see how stipes fight against Francis relates to jones in any way.

Francis is a faster more powerful striker. Stipe won’t have to worry about either of those against Jones.

This is going to be a wrestle/grapple fuck initiated by Jon and he'll likely come in bigger and stronger than Stipe. He already has this shit mapped out. The last thing he's going to do is give Stipe the slightest opportunity to piece him up. That's his worst nightmare at this stage in his career, getting a KO/TKO against him tagged to his highlights.

And although Jon might be a weird closeted narcissistic sociopath, he still has genius level fight IQ. Unless Stipe is ready for the bums rush and can stuff Jon's TD's I don't see this being much of a contest.

I agree that Stipe at his best is a bad match up for Jones but it's hard to imagine he will be at his best after all this time away from the cage and all the wars he's been in over the years. I pray to God he punches Jon's head into the 14th row.

Remember when people thought Stipe would mop the floor with Jones and that Jones would never move up to heavyweight because of it?

People have really changed their tune…

I dont like the circumstances of Stipe coming out of a 3 1/2 year retirement to take a money fight and then going right back into retirement. That's not usually a recipe for success. If he comes in wanting it more than Jon I'd give him a decent chance, but I don't think he will.

This fight is a joke and makes MMA look bad. Boxing is delivering high level heavyweight title fights like Usyk vs Fury, while we get Jones vs Stipe...

Not everybody ages the same and idk how much Stipe has even been training. If Stipe has been training hard and is 100% motivated then he has a chance but if he just took this fight because it's a free title shot for a bunch of money (which is what I think is the case) then it may be a wash. I don't think Stipe is going to go in there to lose but he seemed so unenthusiastic when asked about fighting Jones after Jones beat Gane..

If Stipe knocks Jones out I will go to church every goddamn Sunday for the rest of my life, I swear it. Please make it happen

Back