Strength & Power FAQ - READ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is fine, because no matter the frequency of training in the week all the lifting days are based on same structure/methodology. Combining a push/pull/squat one week with full body the next is a little too much variance for me. If you want to do 3 lifting days a week one week, and two the next, just keep alternating days with the Stronglifts:

Say

Week 1
A,B

Week 2
A,B,A

and so on. You only have two seperate workouts to track in this format, rather than 5 in your original idea, so it makes progression much simpler and easier to track.

okay that i dig, thanks!

i just want to thank all of u guys for making this the best strength and power forum I have ever read. Its really inspired me in my own training. I dont intend to be a huge poster but I do intend to keep reading these pages!

just a quick question....

how do you build power without adding mass in large amounts?

aka:i'd like to be alot stronger but i dont want to gain more than 5 pounds

Hey all, just want to thank you lads for this thread. I've studied martial arts for a while but never went into weight training overly much.

To be honest, I didn't even know what a 'good morning' or 'skull crusher' was until I read through this thread.

Even though it took me a while to get through (damn there is alot more to it than lifting shit loads and eating healthy), this thread/site has been a great help so cheers from a newbie.

Anyone has an article where they explain you that you shouldn't spend 2 hours lifting weights at the gym? I have some friends that are into lifting weights and no matter how much I try to explain them, they refuse to listen and they go and lift for 2 hours.
Of course, a lot more upper body than lower body, 70% of what they do is machines, they barely squat (because I told them and still they don't push themselves hard enough), too coward to deadlift and horrible form.
Not only that, they have the nerve to say I'm not doing the right thing because it's easy to tell I'm making an effort when I'm squatting twice my body weight. Or that my hamstrings are too big, or that my military presses are this and that. So not only they are noobs, they feel like criticizing what I do while I see them week after week doing the wrong shit.

I wanna show them an article where it is explained why you shouldn't spend too much time in the weight room.
Anyone has something?

#1 your friends are ignorant and I would lift on your own or blast your ipod

#2 lifting for 2 hours or more can be fine depending on the individual. You are used to reading cookie cutter suggestions...fact is some athletes train 2,3,4 or even more hours a day....it all depends on what works specifically for you and your experience level

#3 it's very hard to pursuade those who are stubborn in their ways...esp those who are in denial...so best idea is to worry about yourself...

Hey, new to this area of the forum, wanna say thank you the faqs is giving some idea where to restart. My problem was I would go to the gym with my brother who works out for about 2-3 hours a day over the last 8 years and when I would go with him I would be sore for like 3 weeks and the effort to lift my arms would be as hard as climbing everest.

Now I just need to quit fucking smoking and I'm set

Heh day 1 going cold turkey and small animals are looking pretty good to cut right now. :D

Hey, new to this area of the forum, wanna say thank you the faqs is giving some idea where to restart. My problem was I would go to the gym with my brother who works out for about 2-3 hours a day over the last 8 years and when I would go with him I would be sore for like 3 weeks and the effort to lift my arms would be as hard as climbing everest.

Now I just need to quit fucking smoking and I'm set

Heh day 1 going cold turkey and small animals are looking pretty good to cut right now. :D

No problem. Thanks for reading.
*HINT FUCKING HINT*

I'M SO GLAD I'VE READ THE FAQ. NOW I KNOW WHAT TO DO IN THE GYM.

Best thread on the site. Second only to the D&S faq.

I have trained grip inconsistently over the years, and was wondering if there is a routine out there that is easy to do and has been tested and proven(similar to the Bill Starr or push/pull split)?

That would make an excellent addiction...err... addition, to the FAQ.

Dver you can make a simple routine yourself. There are programs like KTA for grippers and a similar for blob training on gripboard.com if you like high volume training...it's not quite simple but it's all layed out for you

i'll try to write a grip or grippers section with maybe some simple routine...it should take me couple weeks ..

^Alright thanks my man. Let me know when its up. I made one up, but I showed it to my other buddy at the gym and he said it needed some work, so I'll be waiting for it.

Starting Strength has a wiki, filled with lots of useful info. Could be a good link to put in the faq for the people.

Starting Strength Wiki
url: startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back