SUMO - 2024 Hatsu Basho (Jan 14th - Jan 28th)

Can we talk about how this was somehow the first tournament that Abi and Discount Abi ever fought each other?

And also the commentator on the NHK broadcast actually called him Abi Lite.

Abi's stable master (former sekiwake Terao) passed away in December. It was reported that Abi refused to believe he was no longer breathing and kept talking to him until someone removed him from the death bed.

Terao vs Wolf

Has anyone heard about the Hokuseiho scandal? @Fork maybe you have some info?
I've only seen articles in Japanese but know it has something to do with his kyujo being disciplinary rather than medical and there's talks of violence regarding whatever happened

Has anyone heard about the Hokuseiho scandal? @Fork maybe you have some info?
I've only seen articles in Japanese but know it has something to do with his kyujo being disciplinary rather than medical and there's talks of violence regarding whatever happened

Drunk tree or bully tree?

Finally caught up and I couldn’t find this thread. Did Kirishima finally land from being tossed like a baby?

Kotonowaka showed grit. I wish he was as locked in against Terrorfuji in the first bout as the second.

Ura Bless.

Daieisho looks so weak compared to last year.

Hoshoryu gave Teruno a gift in not competing.

Great basho.

Onosato is going to be a force.

I was proud of Wakabro.

As much as I joke about his brand of Sumo, it's a rough end to a young career.
But I hope more people get the message, stop being bullies
Bingo. Never would have expected that from him tbh he’s SO passive in his style

Bingo. Never would have expected that from him tbh he’s SO passive in his style
I was reading some Sumo posts on Twitter, X, whatever and from what I saw Hokuseiho has a history of not liking to practice and running his mouth about how good he thinks he is. (Promising to be Yokozuna by 21, then a year ago promising to be in Sanyaku by now.) He hasn't made any attempt to do different sumo too. Sounds like he couldn't get out of his own way.

Not surprised. Always seemed like a cocky kid who relied on his height advantage and didn't feel the need to put true effort in to improve. Sorry, but you won't be missed.

This Hokuseiho thing is also really bad look for Hakuho.
It's said that the bullying was reported to him and he didn't do enough to stop it. For a guy with constant tension with the JSA, you'd think he'd be fast to move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mapichtli
Back