SUMO - 2024 Hatsu Basho (Jan 14th - Jan 28th)

Midorifuji's katasukashi.... too strong for Kirishima!

Just watching again how terrified Gonoyama looked when he was staring at Terunofuji. That's definitely a case of losing before the bell rings. This is only his 4th top division tournament, Teru and Gonoyama only appeared in the July Basho. Teru was 1 - 3 before pulling out and Gonoyama was an M13 no chance of them meeting.
The aura of even a damaged yokozuna is still so strong

What was that nephew?

Abi really can't seem to get a win, everyone had figured out his brand of Sumo.
Kirishima looking good out there.

Hakuoho loses to Onokatsu, not much he could do there. Onokatsu just got the better position and Hakuoho couldn't recover.

Wakatakakage looking in peak form today, shouldn't have any competition now with Hakuoho losing today, unless Onokatsu can do something.

Takerufuji breezes past Asakoryu. I said he was the guy to watch in Juryo this basho and he's 5-0 in his debut so far.

Kotonowaka fighting like he had bars of soap on the bottom of his feet.

Hoshoryu... you should not be losing that easily to someone Teru crunched yesterday. I suppose that's why Teru is so far above the Ozeki. Gonna be a huge void when he goes.

Hokuseiho trying to be serious in training View attachment 1023594
giphy.gif

Kotonowaka fighting like he had bars of soap on the bottom of his feet.

Hoshoryu... you should not be losing that easily to someone Teru crunched yesterday. I suppose that's why Teru is so far above the Ozeki. Gonna be a huge void when he goes.
I saw someone saying Hoshoryu is almost as good as his uncle at getting out of bad situations on the rope but that Asashoryu got in far fewer bad situations.

I saw someone saying Hoshoryu is almost as good as his uncle at getting out of bad situations on the rope but that Asashoryu got in far fewer bad situations.

Well it's like Hakuho, he was amazing at pulling a houdini at the edge, but it was a last resort and usually he didn't need it. Hoshoryu gets caught in bad positions far too often.

Asashoryu was super offensive, Hoshoryu is still too defensive. plus his uncle was WAY stronger and a complete demon at the tachiai.
He should do a bit more with the gifts he obviously has, unless he's comfortable at coasting at ozeki, where he could be for years and years if that's what he wishes.

Asashoryu was super offensive, Hoshoryu is still too defensive. plus his uncle was WAY stronger and a complete demon at the tachiai.
He should do a bit more with the gifts he obviously has, unless he's comfortable at coasting at ozeki, where he could be for years and years if that's what he wishes.
I think Hoshoryu still hasn't found his style yet, he's great but there's definitely another level there. I think he can approach it but I don't know what he needs to get that extra push

I think Hoshoryu still hasn't found his style yet, he's great but there's definitely another level there. I think he can approach it but I don't know what he needs to get that extra push
my money's on a more powerful start of the fight. he's got great tools to be a reactive fighter, and it got him to ozeki. he won't make it further without some strong offensive tools.

Finally caught up. Damn this is a GREAT basho so far. Lots of spirit.

Kotonowaka looking like he’s on cruise control.

Also proud of my boy Daieisho starting 4:1 which he hasn’t done in a few basho.

Great recovery against Wakabro who had the tough loss the day before after beating Terrorfuji

Another easy day at the office for Takerufuji, 6-0.

Teru almost committing murder against Tobizaru. Why the heck would anyone start throwing leg kicks against a yokozuna with known bad knees? that's just rude. Never seen Teru this pissed.

Back