Surprisingly sad movies

I didn’t expect to be sad the first time I watched Bladerunner. The scene that got me though was when they Android shits down and is giving his dying monologue.

Anzacs, at the end when they are all old. I realized that at the time if me watching it they were all probably dead.

Karate Kid

Hot shot karate champ Johnny Lawrence getting eliminated by that illegal crane kick from the punk Daniel Laruss. Not only did he spend the whole film getting abused by his sociopathic coach John Kreese but being defeated by an illegal move was just too much. Watch Cobra Kai, you'll see that Lawrence was always the good guy.

For once you might be right.

Robocop was surprisingly sad in retrospect. Refund the police and shit.
I was eight when I first saw it. I didn't quite get it when he went to his old house and remembered his old life.

MV5BMzU5YThlZTUtYmQxNi00NjM5LThkNGEtMzkyZWYwNWQxYTM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU1NzU3MzE@._V1_.jpg

Shit, I still remember sitting on the sofa with 2 of my kids when we saw Littlefoot's mom die. I was turning my head so they didn't see my eyes welling up, lol.

Babe
When he sings and dances for his sick, runt pig is touching. And when Ma is killed by the wolfs....."That'll do, pig."

Funny People was surprisingly sad, IMO
Of all people, I thought Eminem had the real gut punch line of the movie.
“What are you gonna do now? Make another shitty movie? Fuck another girl that doesn’t like you? You fucked up.”

My Life - kind of under the radar movie with Michael Keaton. It is about a guy coming down with cancer and tries to resolve his estranged family relationships and leaving a series of videos behind for his to be born kid. The saddest part is as kid all he ever wanted was a circus birthday party. He prayed for it and did everything to will It to happ. It was the only thing he ever wanted as a kid. Come his birthday he came home with friends and all there was was his mother doing laundry. All of his schoolmates he invited are dumbfounded as to what just happened. His dad who was always working to just get by never really got what it meant to his kid. Later, when the son is ill with cancer his father throws a surprise circus party with clowns and jugglers and the works. The father says "Better late than never." The son enjoys it the same as he would have as when he was six.

Last edited:
Project X : the ending was brutal as a kid.

Something kind out out of the box was the movie The Replacements. That speech by Hackman at the end going on about how these guys were going to go back to their boring lives / jobs, for whatever reason, always stuck with me and made my eyes watery. Something about being so important and then being tossed in the shit can...I don't know, fun movie, but definitely got me feeling like there were some onions being diced in my vicinity.

Project X : the ending was brutal as a kid.

Something kind out out of the box was the movie The Replacements. That speech by Hackman at the end going on about how these guys were going to go back to their boring lives / jobs, for whatever reason, always stuck with me and made my eyes watery. Something about being so important and then being tossed in the shit can...I don't know, fun movie, but definitely got me feeling like there were some onions being diced in my vicinity.
I get that but I also got a sense of happiness from it. The world of sports is brutal where you get cast off the second someone can do your job better than you can. All these guys were thrown away and lived every day wishing they could experience it again. They got that second chance. The ending song is so perfect for the movie. They got to live their dream even if it was for just one day

I get that but I also got a sense of happiness from it. The world of sports is brutal where you get cast off the second someone can do your job better than you can. All these guys were thrown away and lived every day wishing they could experience it again. They got that second chance. The ending song is so perfect for the movie. They got to live their dream even if it was for just one day

You're totally correct as well, but for me that speech just impacts me in a different way. Kind of cool that a single speech in a goofy movie can convey two very different messages depending on the disposition of the viewer.

You're totally correct as well, but for me that speech just impacts me in a different way. Kind of cool that a single speech in a goofy movie can convey two very different messages depending on the disposition of the viewer.
That’s why movies are great. Just like earlier in this thread when some said that Cast Away was really depressing but I see it as an uplifting message of hope and perseverance

Back