Surprisingly sad movies

The ending of Hellraiser II when
the cenobites remember who they are, get killed again, and it turns out the chatterer was just a kid

Dead Poets Society.

When they stand on the chairs at the end.

A Star is Born.

Did not expect it to end like that.

@Losfer Words

Neverending Story was a great example for this thread. That scene you posted was horrible and as a kid the whole story never made much sense to me. It's hard to understand the concept of "nothing" as an adult, but as a kid I was totally lost as to what was going on.

Solaris - I am talking about the remake with Clooney. The premise is that he is on a spaceship, deep in space, that comes in contact with a godlike alien. The alien takes over the ship by letting people live whatever life they wanted. Clooney had a wife who had an abortion without telling him. When she told him, he left her and she committed suicide. The alien remakes his wife and he has the option of living a fantasy life with his alien wife to try to redo everything or to reject it and go home. It is a movie about regret more than space.

Sunshine on the Spotless Mind - This movie is paced odd in part but I think it gets right the feelings fun and exploration when you find someone new and how things sometimes slowly decay if no one pay attention to the relationship.

The Counselor - the final scene when the Counselor wants to get his wife back and the old man tries tell him that he can never go back to how things were and he is where he is now due to chooses made a long time ago and all there is only acceptance.

Last edited:
Of all people, I thought Eminem had the real gut punch line of the movie.
“What are you gonna do now? Make another shitty movie? Fuck another girl that doesn’t like you? You fucked up.”

Yea, he's done a couple good cameos.

That one and The Interview.

It's not all the surprising given it's SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, but the first time I saw it I lost it right here:

maxresdefault.jpg

I couldn't help whispering, "She doesn't know..."

Paid in full.

I was expecting a fun and entertaining gangsta movie from the 90s and it was entertaining but it did NOT glorify the gangsta life and it showed realism based on a lack of opportunity that meets the temptation of criminal activity.

What went down was very sad and the ending showed the damage this type of life does to a human being.

The last American virgin.
Funny movie about teens trying to lose their virginity. Then an abortion and heartbreak in the last 15 ish minutes.

Men in Black 3 had a nice twist at the end which kicked me in the feels. I was struggling through such a mediocre movie until I was unexpectedly hit with this:

Men in Black 3 had a nice twist at the end which kicked me in the feels. I was struggling through such a mediocre movie until I was unexpectedly hit with this:

Great call.

honestly, I thought it was a solid movie overall. DRAMATICALLY improved over Men in Black 2 on virtually every criterion.

Better villain Jermaine Clement’s character > Lara Flynn Boyle’s

Better storyline

Better character interactions (Brolin was particularly a standout, doing a great rendition of his No Country costar TLJ)

Better visuals and effects

and of course the impacting ending with young J.

I often find time loop narratives annoying but I thought MIb 3 did a fine job of it.

Aronofsky's The Fountain
I knew going into it that I would be an "emotional" movie having seen Requiem & The Wrestler

But that movie messed me up real bad....
Don't think I could bring myself to watch it again and just hearing that Clint Mansell soundtrack triggers feelings I really don't wanna revisit lol

I expect it from Pixar, but for a movie that was surprisingly sad, I was caught a little off-guard by Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made. There was one part that made my kids bawl, but I found that same part surprisingly sad on a level that my kids likely cannot understand quite yet. I enjoyed the movie overall and find it to be a bit under-rated.

Back