• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Swappable EV batteries, this is cool

Once Canada switches to all electric vehicles (which is the plan by 2035) they're going to need one of these every 50 km during the winter.

What if you go to one of these stations and all the battery slots are full? Seems like you have to put yours in first.

Also, I could see people bringing bad batteries to these stations to swap them out for good batteries.

On the Tesla superchargers they say you can get a charge in 15 minutes.

Not a 100% charge but enough for a lot more range because the last 20% or so takes longer.

But most EV owners would charge at home since that is the main benefit. If you don't have the ability to home charge then having an EV makes little sense.

Once Canada switches to all electric vehicles (which is the plan by 2035) they're going to need one of these every 50 km during the winter.
All of those 2035 mandates will get rolled back. No way Canada or the US get close to hitting that mark by then. Even California will plateau around 50 percent. At that point the state will just be chasing car dealers out of state and opening themselves up to lawsuits when they try to prevent people from registering ice cars purchased out of state.

All of those 2035 mandates will get rolled back. No way Canada or the US get close to hitting that mark by then. Even California will plateau around 50 percent. At that point the state will just be chasing car dealers out of state and opening themselves up to lawsuits when they try to prevent people from registering ice cars purchased out of state.

Yea, in the UK the date has been pushed back once already.

On the Tesla superchargers they say you can get a charge in 15 minutes.

Not a 100% charge but enough for a lot more range because the last 20% or so takes longer.

But most EV owners would charge at home since that is the main benefit. If you don't have the ability to home charge then having an EV makes little sense.
I seen a commercial recently where the car has both gas and electric engine like a standard hybrid, but it can run all electric or all gas, and also can be charged at home. I forget which car company it was.
I assume, like a hybrid, the gas engines alternator charges the EV battery as well.

So they already got this setup in Taiwan for a few years now

I think this may be the future as charging EVs still take too long

Takes 20 seconds to swap out vs. 12 hours to charge

yeah that's a handy system but that's tiny batteries for a motor scooter.

A car battery is gargantuan in comparison and for Tesla, their battery pack weighs 400 to 600kgs (by memory from a Sandy Munro engineering Video).
Also if you own a car, you want to retain YOUR battery as you know how old it is and if you've kept it in the best range for longevity of your battery pack (30% to 80% is the range which stresses Lithium Ion batteries the least).

Nobody is going to do customer swappable car batteries in 1minute.

Also....the time to charge a car battery (or any Lithium ion battery) depends on how many AMPS you're using to charge it. (for a fixed voltage). Power (watts)= Volts x Current (amps).
Home socket upgrades are available to recharge your EV at a FASTER charging rate than typical 120volts in a USA home.
Yes it will still take overnight for most cars, but again, most people aren't going to run it down to 10% remaining or 5% remaining. If I had an EV and I wanted to charge it at home, just plug it in when it's down to about 50% and charge it til it gets to around 80% and that'll do fine. Won't take more than a few hours to do that.

Hi wattage Tesla Superchargers can recharge pretty fast. About 15 to 20mins for a charge from a low battery to 80% for Model3 and ModelY. Yes it's longer than gasoline filling, but charging will continue to get quicker over time, higher power chargers and revised battery tech.

yeah that's a handy system but that's tiny batteries for a motor scooter.

A car battery is gargantuan in comparison and for Tesla, their battery pack weighs 400 to 600kgs (by memory from a Sandy Munro Video).
Also if you own a car, you want to retain YOUR battery as you know how old it is and if you've kept it in the best range for longevity of your battery pack (30% to 80% is the range which stresses Lithium Ion batteries the least).

Nobody is going to do customer swappable car batteries in 1minute.

Also....the time to charge a car battery (or any Lithium ion battery) depends on how many AMPS you're using to charge it. (for a fixed voltage). Power (watts)= Volts x Current (amps).
Home socket upgrades are available to recharge your EV at a FASTER charging rate than typical 120volts in a USA home.
Yes it will still take overnight for most cars, but again, most people aren't going to run it down to 10% remaining or 5% remaining. If I had an EV and i wanted to charge it at home, just plug it in when it's down to about 50% and charge it til it gets to around 80% and that'll do fine. Won't take more than a few hours to do that.

Hi wattage Tesla Superchargers can recharge pretty fast. About 15 to 20mins for a charge from a low battery to 80% for Model3 and ModelY. Yes it's longer than gasoline filling, but charging will continue to get quicker over time, higher power chargers and revised battery tech.

Batteries are only going to get smaller and better. They're learning something new about them every week. There's a dozen Youtube channels dedicated to just that. New battery tech.

Batteries are only going to get smaller and better. They're learning something new about them every week. There's a dozen Youtube channels dedicated to just that. New battery tech.
yes i mentioned battery tech in my post.

Tesla use a vairety of chemistries in their car batteries.
Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP)
Manganese Nickel Cobalt (MNC)
and one or two others i think.
Some are more pricey (the Cobalt ones) and some are cheaper (Iron Phosphate ones) and they have different pros and cons. Some chjarge quicker or tend to have a longer battery life than others. Tesla have had basttery skunkworks for a long time, they are masters of battery tech really. Dry-coating the electrodes or substrate (cannot remember which) is a tech they iontroduced (actually they bought out another small company to get the rights to that).

But generally, yes, the slowness to recharge electric cars is sometimes stated as an impediment to some people and I do understand that. If you need fast refills or long-distance then it is still quicker to use a gasoline car as it can go a lot longer on a "fill" than almost any EV and it is quicker to pump in an energy-dense liquid like gasoline than to recharge a battery. Every car type has it's upsides an downsides. Depends on what is important to the buyer.

Last edited:
I seen a commercial recently where the car has both gas and electric engine like a standard hybrid, but it can run all electric or all gas, and also can be charged at home. I forget which car company it was.
I assume, like a hybrid, the gas engines alternator charges the EV battery as well.
That's what I drive, a PHEV. Full electric for driving around town but have to use gas when going further.

That's what I drive, a PHEV. Full electric for driving around town but have to use gas when going further.
My wife has a Hybrid, but it switches electric and gas automaticly. No option to choose between the two. It gets 45ish miles to the gallon.

I ride a bike everywhere, zero fucks known.

Back