• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Swappable EV batteries, this is cool

But generally, yes, the slowness to recharge electric cars is sometimes stated as an impediment to some people and I do understand that. If you need fast refills or long-distance then it is still quicker to use a gasoline car as it can go a lot longer on a "fill" than almost any EV and it is quicker to pump in an energy-dense liquid like gasoline than to recharge a battery. Every car type has it's upsides an downsides. Depends on what is important to the buyer.
Doesn't this reach deal breaker levels REALLY QUICKLY?

For instance I know legislation has been passed, absurd imo, to have states or countries "100%" gas free by 2050 or whatever fairytale bullshit they are slinging...

But

For basic commercial trucks, the batteries needed to replace a single tank of current gas performance

Would take 400 years to charge
And weigh (at current capabilities) approximately the size of the international space station.

For 1 truck. Never mind the magnitude of trucks on the road.

Now I'll be clear that those source for those numbers is the internal regional of my own personal asshole, but... the premise stands. Does it not?

So the multi-billion $ question:

How many orders of magnitude does this tech have to change by to make this political theater even remotely plausible?

And how long will that take in the real world? Where things cost money and time does doesnt stand still...

So when do you drive the mustang?
pretty much only on the racetrack.
although I have been driving my M3 to the gym lately, cause a rain.
about to get my turbo Miata back from a shop, very excited.png.png

Last edited:

15+ mins?
tenor.gif

They did steal it. Which is why you now have to pay before you can pump the gas.
Yeah, but the point is that it didn’t render combustion engines, or the industry built around them including gas stations, obsolete. The same way some people stealing EV batteries wouldn’t stop that from working.

15+ mins?
tenor.gif
SORRY, forgot cliffs !​

300, at MINIMUM for ONE start in optimum conditions, then recharge each.

4 AA's connected in series, then wired in 75 parallel banks connected to the started BARELY started his car... 10 minutes in explains his thought process.
The "18650" batteries along with "software brains" in Tesla's battery packs are worlds advanced compared to this guy's playing with normal AA's with only wiring.

Tesla's can be distance and/or location limited (or shut down without notice) by those in the know... Scary Concept on a Daily Driver.

Once Canada switches to all electric vehicles (which is the plan by 2035) they're going to need one of these every 50 km during the winter.
Talk to car manufacturers fella. They have all made getting at the battery incredibly complicated which is why the cost to swap a battery out is so gd high on some of the models.

This'll never work in the US. People will be breaking into those and stealing the batteries and copper
Not if you got your replacement for a few bucks at a "station" where it was secured.

I seen a commercial recently where the car has both gas and electric engine like a standard hybrid, but it can run all electric or all gas, and also can be charged at home. I forget which car company it was.
I assume, like a hybrid, the gas engines alternator charges the EV battery as well.
They make a wrangler like this

The future is the past

Power as a service and General Vehicle

To overcome the limited operating range of electric vehicles, and the lack of recharging infrastructure, an exchangeable battery service was first proposed as early as 1896.[46] The concept was first put into practice by Hartford Electric Light Company through the GeVeCo battery service and was initially available for electric trucks. The vehicle owner purchased the vehicle from General Vehicle Company (GVC, a subsidiary of the General Electric Company) without a battery and the electricity was purchased from Hartford Electric through an exchangeable battery. The owner paid a variable per-mile charge and a monthly service fee to cover the maintenance and storage of the truck. Both vehicles and batteries were modified to facilitate a fast battery exchange. The service was provided between 1910 and 1924 and during that period covered more than 6 million miles. Beginning in 1917 a similar successful service was operated in Chicago for owners of Milburn Wagon Company cars who also could buy the vehicle without the batteries.[46]

Back