Swim Caps are Racist

2arctanx

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
ukby8tf.jpg

Swim caps have conventionally been designed as one size fits all for straighter, less curly hairstyles. They help with resistance in the water, but are not meant to keep water fully out. Singleton tells her students that the most important factor in choosing a swim cap is size and type, not brand, but she says many students don’t know how to put on a swim cap properly in the first place. There’s little instruction on the internet on what to do if they have afros or dreadlocks. “I’ve had black girls that have had the entire backs of their hair broken off from breakage, or [from] not having the right moisturizers because of the chemicals and the rubbing of the caps,” she says.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/08/swim-caps-black-women/567398/

Shame on you white folks.

I was wondering this the other day, why it appears in the US at least that such a high rate of African Americans don't know how to swim (stories from Navy or USMC bootcamp are always hilarious in this regard).....

Honestly? I think it's due to segregation and specifically polio. When that was ravaging the US, pools became a huge concern. And since things were largely still segregated, I imagine that the segregated pools in inner city areas never got the funding to recover from closures or lost attendance.....

I've heard people posit ideas about bone density, etc.. but that doesn't explain like half the Carribbean, or coastal countries in Africa where people can swim pretty easily

who the fuck actually wears swim caps?

I was wondering this the other day, why it appears in the US at least that such a high rate of African Americans don't know how to swim (stories from Navy or USMC bootcamp are always hilarious in this regard).....

Honestly? I think it's due to segregation and specifically polio. When that was ravaging the US, pools became a huge concern. And since things were largely still segregated, I imagine that the segregated pools in inner city areas never got the funding to recover from closures or lost attendance.....

I've heard people posit ideas about bone density, etc.. but that doesn't explain like half the Carribbean, or coastal countries in Africa where people can swim pretty easily

Having pools is a luxury and most black families have been at the bottom end of the poverty scale for over 200 years.

Seems cut and dry to me.

I laughed so fucking hard when I read this.

You think it's the swim caps? Really? You don't think it has to do with 90% of you not teaching your kids how to swim before they reach preadolescence?

Having pools is a luxury and most black families have been at the bottom end of the poverty scale for over 200 years.

Seems cut and dry to me.
well....ya. which is why I referred to public/municipal pools

pools in backyards weren't common, even for white people, in like the 1950s my dude. Especially if you were outside the much less populated then Arizona and Cali metro areas

Why make a mountain out of a molehill, TS? The article says that swim caps aren't designed for black hair.

That's not controversial or provocative, though, so you decided to race bait.

pools in backyards weren't common, even for white people, in like the 1950s my dude. Especially if you were outside the much less populated then Arizona and Cali metro areas

Almost every house in my development has an in ground or above ground pool, and it was built in the late 50s and early 60s.

White suburban life was just better back then too.

ukby8tf.jpg

Swim caps have conventionally been designed as one size fits all for straighter, less curly hairstyles. They help with resistance in the water, but are not meant to keep water fully out. Singleton tells her students that the most important factor in choosing a swim cap is size and type, not brand, but she says many students don’t know how to put on a swim cap properly in the first place. There’s little instruction on the internet on what to do if they have afros or dreadlocks. “I’ve had black girls that have had the entire backs of their hair broken off from breakage, or [from] not having the right moisturizers because of the chemicals and the rubbing of the caps,” she says.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/08/swim-caps-black-women/567398/

Shame on you white folks.
Everything is racist to the far left.

Why make a mountain out of a molehill, TS? The article says that swim caps aren't designed for black hair.

That's not controversial or provocative, though, so you decided to race bait.
Explain to the rest of us how swim caps are not "designed for black hair".

The overwhelming majority of whites who learn how to swim don't own personal pools. That is not the barrier, here.

Almost every house in my development has an in ground or above ground pool, and it was built in the late 50s and early 60s.

White suburban life was just better back then too.
they had above ground pools in the 1960s? at personal homes?

word?

that's uh pretty hard to believe. You realize things can be added after the fact, right?
edit: unless you live in a substantially more baller development than I am picturing

More propaganda by news outlets to put words in minorities mouths to fool white people into having another reason to hate minorities <36>

Back