Tae Kwon Do

It all depends on the fighter. Can a 45 year old soccer mom who uses eye gouges and ball grabs defeat Anderson SIlva? No. Why? Because she doesnt have the necessary reflexes, speed, agility to pull them off.

Now you take me for instance, who has been training since middle school in various styles (MT included) who has the necessary reflexes and knowledge of spacing etc who has the mind set of taking someones eye out, breaking their knee cap, etc, and you have a very dangerous individual.

Did you just hint that you can defeat a good MMA fighter? You are delusional. Dangerous individual.LOL.

There IS a reason why fighters in K1 and UFC don't utilise those kind of kicks, lets be honest.

I don't completely disagree with your post BUT, this is NOT a valid argument. Correlation doesn't = causation.

It always bugs me when people say things like that. "Wrestling is the BEST discipline, just look at the champions in the UFC, how many of them have a wrestling background?" Did no one realize that wresting is the ONLY combat sport available in schools in the US?

There won't be many good TKD fighters if everyone's riding the MT wagon, if there aren't many good TKD fighters everyone will think it's "ineffective", If people don't think it's effective there aren't going to be many good TKD schools, if there aren't many good TKD schools fewer good fighters will be bred ...self fulfilling prophecy, the same goes for any martial art. It seems to me that whoever is better at marketing their art will be more successful and deemed effective. TKD use to be extremely popular in North America, but success doesn't last long, I see the same trend for Muay Thai. As the sport/martial art grows, more and more schools are becoming more and more commercial. I see MT schools in Toronto that hold birthday parties, creating their own ranking systems and promoting people that don't really deserve to be promoted.

Whenever I read people complaining about "fancy" kicks in WTF TKD, I tune out.

80%+ of all scoring kicks in Oly TKD are rear leg roundhouse kicks to the torso, generally on the counter.

When you count thrown kicks by just volume and not score, that number goes over 90% for roundhouses.

I can't be bothered to find the references but if you don't believe me, go look at some full Olympic matches on YouTube and just count the kicks.

80%+ of all scoring kicks in Oly TKD are rear leg roundhouse kicks to the torso, generally on the counter.

completely true :p its too risky to get countered when throwing crazy kicks... its good to know them to throw in when hes not expecting it though!

When you count thrown kicks by just volume and not score, that number goes over 90% for roundhouses.

I can't be bothered to find the references but if you don't believe me, go look at some full Olympic matches on YouTube and just count the kicks.

tkd kicks dont take that much energy, it was meant to be similar in mechanics to running. The other myth is tkd kicks arent using the hip. Theyre ALL hip if done correctly. Getting a black belt is one thing, but reaching the top level of competition in the US is extremely hard. The depth of talent is very big.

I still dont understand how so many people dont get this fact.
The reference to early tkd competition ie 80's and early 90's is true, i know guys that competed back then and it was BRUTAL. They also fight alot different than contemporary tkd fighters.

Thats interesting you go to Bluewater taekwondo Bob Probert, i watched a bunch of their videos on youtube and theyre awsome.

good to see you back, where you been

haha college, training, and my social life is getting the better of me! barely leaving any time for online chit chat :p

Well obviously a weak kick can be faster and a strong kick will be slower. You made it seem like the other way around. A 540 tornado kick ending in a round kick is stronger than a round kick by itself. Not the other way around.

No it's not. When you're spinning around in the air you may generate more speed and the kick may land with a greater velocity, but it is not more powerful. The fact that you are airborne makes the kick much weaker than a conventional roundhouse. Being planted on the ground makes all the difference when it comes to power. It's the same reason why a superman punch is the weakest punch there is and if you ask any competent boxer they will explain why they hate that punch. Once you take your feet off the ground, you negate any power in a punch/kick. Learn physics please.

Note: The superman punch when executed PROPERLY isn't that bad of a punch as you actually are never airborne. The reason I used it as an example is because 99% of the time it is use improperly and it has become popular and recognized as being performed that way.

No it's not. When you're spinning around in the air you may generate more speed and the kick may land with a greater velocity, but it is not more powerful. The fact that you are airborne makes the kick much weaker than a conventional roundhouse. Being planted on the ground makes all the difference when it comes to power. It's the same reason why a superman punch is the weakest punch there is and if you ask any competent boxer they will explain why they hate that punch. Once you take your feet off the ground, you negate any power in a punch/kick. Learn physics please.

Note: The superman punch when executed PROPERLY isn't that bad of a punch as you actually are never airborne. The reason I used it as an example is because 99% of the time it is use improperly and it has become popular and recognized as being performed that way.

momentum is a superman punch less powerful than an overhand right?
no opposite

a 540 the way i was taught is jumping leaning back and to the side and a downward roundhouse is like an axekick but with a snap. mush more powerful than a grounded round house

I'm curious to know how much you understand of physics.

Simple statements like "kick may land with greater velocity" while in the very same sentence, stating "but it is not more powerful" indicate to me that your understanding of physics is not as complete as you might believe it to be.

I'm curious to know how much you understand of physics.

Simple statements like "kick may land with greater velocity" while in the very same sentence, stating "but it is not more powerful" indicate to me that your understanding of physics is not as complete as you might believe it to be.

Velocity does not necessarily =/= power, if that was your implication. I would say my knowledge of physics is somewhat higher than most, considering my profession relies on it.

Velocity does not necessarily =/= power, if that was your implication. I would say my knowledge of physics is somewhat higher than most, considering my profession relies on it.

4140f53f66a68e92afec2389ba289e25.png

Or because we're discussing roundhouse kicks:

ceefb7455eaee9b08e55b7100eab695d.png

Power:

0c1bbacec3f03ce16851c389c745cb54.png

Work:
d55858c76ab72afd4a43b47b4c8abe06.png
or
702ea02b18e52b5f3c014a11e1ed41b4.png

I see velocity plastered ALL over those equations. In fact, increases in velocity exponentially increase kinetic energy, which in turn is a term in every relevant equation in collision mechanics.

The question to ask in determining whether or not a jumping kick is stronger than a planted kick is whether or not the instantaneous acceleration provided by muscles pushing against an object (The Earth) at the moment of impact outweighs the acceleration provided by gravity in the direction of the kick.

This is not the same for all kicks, or even one kick done by the same person at different height targets so it's not like there is a general case.

Back