Tai Tuivasa was never that good

No one believed he was skilled. He has power and makes exciting fights. Probably shouldn't headline cards, but he's fun to watch. I don't think he takes mma as serious as other guys. Like others said maybe bare knuckles would be a perfect fit.

Fighter goes on a winning streak and then a losing streak in the UFC. "He was never that good".

Age does not define state of fighter. It is only a factor.

Look at Jan who entered his prime at 37 years old.
I am pretty sure there are young guys who are so wasted that are already past it at young age.
But there's no reason to believe that Tai is past his prime, he's not losing to guys he would've beaten two years ago.

Would any version of Tai beat Volkov? Hell no, same goes for Gane and Pavlovich. Tybura? See his fight with Spivak. Tai is a streaky brawler and he's never been anything but that.

But remember, wins in every division are worth the exact same, and there’s no such thing as a skill gap between weight classes

Fighter goes on a winning streak and then a losing streak in the UFC. "He was never that good".
In terms of technical skills, Tuivasa might be one of the worst fighters to have a win streak in the UFC. That being said, HW is not a division where the most skilled fighter wins all the time

Hes an unathletic brawler who has an average -to-poor record in 3 different sports. Not everyone can be a champ but 5 performance of the night awards is decent value whether he's good or not

*checks results of last night's fight*

I agree. He was never that good.

Look at the guys he was KOing though: Lewis, Sakai, Hardy, Struve and Hunsucker (lol).

There's no reason to believe he wouldn't be able to beat those guys again right now, maybe Lewis could be an exception since he carries fight changing power, but other than that you can see that every matchup Tai got in that streak was favorable to him.

Going from that to Gane, Pavlovich, Volkov and even Tybura (had some rough losses but is pretty consistent now) is a stern test for someone as limited as Tai.

He's also turning 31 this year, which for HW is pretty young. He's not past it, he's just fighting better fighters
Sakai hardy and hunsucker are awful fighters some of the worst to fight at HW in the last decade

It's amazing that he made the top 10 and actually had Gane in trouble. The guy obviously doesn't care about training, he just shows up to throw a few haymakers and sometimes gets lucky with them.

A perfect fit for BKFC.

Was he ever your friend?

giphy.gif
Yeah, I wont miss this.

But there's no reason to believe that Tai is past his prime, he's not losing to guys he would've beaten two years ago.

Would any version of Tai beat Volkov? Hell no, same goes for Gane and Pavlovich. Tybura? See his fight with Spivak. Tai is a streaky brawler and he's never been anything but that.
No point arguing with people who can't see the difference between the likes of Greg Hardy and Augusto Sakai, and Pavlovich, Gane and Volkov.

Tuivasa was beating guys 2 years ago that he still would likely beat today, he's losing to guys today that he would have lost to 2 years ago.

People that think otherwise simply don't know what they are watching.

I'm surprised people were so confident that Tai was going to KO Tybura. Tybura is a lot better (for the HW division anyway) than people give him credit for. He's tough, competent everywhere the fight goes, has a gas tank, and is durable dispite people seeming to think otherwise.

I think people's lasting memory of Tybura is Aspinall blasting through him in a minute, as though Aspinall doesn't do that to everyone, including the elite HWs like Pavlovich and Volkov.

I bet TS is fatter than Tai and that's why he hates him.

He hasnt been losing to bums, he was never elite but he isnt trash either. Let him get a gimme fight to get back on track.

Look at the guys he was KOing though: Lewis, Sakai, Hardy, Struve and Hunsucker (lol).

There's no reason to believe he wouldn't be able to beat those guys again right now, maybe Lewis could be an exception since he carries fight changing power, but other than that you can see that every matchup Tai got in that streak was favorable to him.

Going from that to Gane, Pavlovich, Volkov and even Tybura (had some rough losses but is pretty consistent now) is a stern test for someone as limited as Tai.

He's also turning 31 this year, which for HW is pretty young. He's not past it, he's just fighting better fighters

lol @ hunsucker indeed. Probably the worst fighter ever signed to the ufc in modern day mma.

Tai totally benefited from favorable matchups for that five-fight win streak, but you’re right, that did pretty much change on a dime after the Lewis win.

I don’t think one can argue that he wasn’t legitimately in the top 10 in his peak, but one can’t also argue that he has always been a fat slob with power which unfortunately is enough to be ranked. So you are indeed correct, he was never any good, but the sad state of HW allowed him to be a top 10 fighter.

It’s not that he wasn’t good, it’s just that HW has always sucked. All you need to be good is avoid the 2 grapplers in the division and have a good chin.

Back