Tainted Supplements Question

Fred Krueger 83

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
With news of Anderson Silva's recent failed drug test being due to tainted supplements, I can't help but wonder why a supplement would be tainted with steroids. I'm not saying I don't believe his supplements were tainted. I just don't understand why they were tainted. I would imagine that the steroids they were tainted with cost more than the supplements themselves. So, why on earth would a supplement maker create a situation where a more expensive product can potentially mix into a less expensive product? They would be losing money. And if these supplement makers keep banned substances in their product line, why wouldn't USADA/UFC/whoever just ban all products from that supplement maker.

All I'm saying is that making a supplement that's tainted with a more expensive product is like selling cut down cocaine that has been tainted with pure cocaine. If there is something I'm missing or not understanding here, please let know.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the supplement industry notorious for having next to no regulations?

I remember them talking about this on Last Week Tonight, explaining how much random bullshit gets put into supplements, at least in the US. There were a number of US politicians receiving money from these companies to push for a lack of regulation.

Actually TS this is common. Powders are NOT FDA regulated meaning ppl put all sorts of junk into DIET PILLS, protein and creatine powders, truckers pills and yes you can even get bath salts.

So yeah TS grow up and realize Jon Bones Jones is GOAT and ADMIT IT

2001 Study
In 2001, over 630 nutritional supplements, purchased online and at local supplement stores, were tested for banned substances. Over 25% of them were contaminated – either intentionally or unintentionally.

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/tainted-supplements

my understanding is that it's usually due to shoddy lab environment. this article i found by googling "how do supplements get tainted" is outdated, but makes the point:

In 2002 the IOC issued a report that found that 14.8% of the supplements they tested were contaminated with testosterone or related compounds, 18.8 % of the supplements that originated in the US were contaminated. That is 1 out of 5! But wait,, it gets worse.... A 2004 study published in the journal Sports Medicine, found that 40% of the supplements they tested were contaminated with either prohormones or or stimulants that could cause an athlete to test positive for a banned substance! Not good. That is almost half. I'm not suggesting that a full 40% of all supplements out there are contaminated. A full 40% of the supplements in that one study were contaminated, but the researches chose mostly protein powders/muscle building supplements and weight loss supplements. It is definitely possible that those classes of supplements are more likely than others to be contaminated, but that isn't really the point either. The point is that supplement contamination is real and you can get into real trouble if you accidentally take a contaminated supplement. What is the best way to ameliorate those risks? Avoiding supplements in general is probably the best way to avoid accidental ingestion of a banned substance. If you really want to take supplements though, there is an independent testing organization called NSF that tests products (www.nsfsport.com).​

TLDR: if fighters all used above board 3rd party tested supplements, they wouldn't have tainted supplements. Josh Barnett's tainted supplement was this:

upload_2018-7-18_11-7-14.jpeg

It "a powerful plant extract which has been shown to increase the body's natural production of testosterone". it's never been actually proven to do anything, only shown to.

PS another forum asking the same question had this 17 minute video posted as an answer. i'm not going to watch it, but TS may want to, and report to us. if for nothing else as punishment for not googling his question.

What happens to the company that gets found out having tainted supplements? Do they get fined up the ass and can the fighters sue them???

Because pixie dusting with garbage ingredients can only get you so far in the supplement market. Need to have some ingredients that actually work lol.

Not sure... but seems like stuff gets pulled from GNC often for this reason... That Andro (?) stuff had baseball players hitting 60+ homeruns every season.

These guys all know which supplements have the 'taint' in them, that's why they use them. Gives them the easy out excuse when they *pop.....

Actually TS this is common. Powders are NOT FDA regulated meaning ppl put all sorts of junk into DIET PILLS, protein and creatine powders, truckers pills and yes you can even get bath salts.

So yeah TS grow up and realize Jon Bones Jones is GOAT and ADMIT IT

2001 Study
In 2001, over 630 nutritional supplements, purchased online and at local supplement stores, were tested for banned substances. Over 25% of them were contaminated – either intentionally or unintentionally.

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/tainted-supplements

Didn't they already test all of Bones' supplements already, and they came back negative?

It's probably cheaper and more effective to use a little cheap roidage than to have a well made high quality product that might or might not work.

Didn't they already test all of Bones' supplements already, and they came back negative?
Yeah. All of Jon's supps were clean. There is no way he popped because of a tainted supplement on the provided list.

With news of Anderson Silva's recent failed drug test being due to tainted supplements, I can't help but wonder why a supplement would be tainted with steroids. I'm not saying I don't believe his supplements were tainted. I just don't understand why they were tainted. I would imagine that the steroids they were tainted with cost more than the supplements themselves. So, why on earth would a supplement maker create a situation where a more expensive product can potentially mix into a less expensive product? They would be losing money. And if these supplement makers keep banned substances in their product line, why wouldn't USADA/UFC/whoever just ban all products from that supplement maker.

All I'm saying is that making a supplement that's tainted with a more expensive product is like selling cut down cocaine that has been tainted with pure cocaine. If there is something I'm missing or not understanding here, please let know.

tons of reasons.

1. When a new supplement is launched you spike the first few batches with steroids. The supplement then actually works so word gets round how great it is.

2. You put something cheap in there like ostarine that does actually work. Look at what some of these powders are selling for.. $40-$50 a drum, for what? a bunch of whey protien or milk powder.. the profit margin is massive.. so chucking a cheap steroid or sarm still gives a very profitable business.

3. As is the case in Silva's situation using a pharmacy with shitty procedures. They made their own supplements on site. Anyone with any knowledge of pharmacies knows cross contamination is rife. The use the same machines for eveyrthing and the cleaning between runs usually involves just blowing away any obvious excess.. if that..

Some labs fabricate a lot of different pills/drugs/supplements.
If they don't clean properly when changing production line, this happens.

IMHO this is an issue with small labs, most from outside the US where there's less checks to see how clean they are.
But it might also be something done intentional.
I mean I give you a supplement that makes you feel like superman... You will buy it and tell all your friends about it. Then the owner will make more money than if he told the truth, that he mixed some useless herbs with PED's... Yes, might cost him more, but he will sell a lot more that his peers (supplement) because results from using it are better...

Not sure... but seems like stuff gets pulled from GNC often for this reason... That Andro (?) stuff had baseball players hitting 60+ homeruns every season.

Yes, definitely contaminated GNC powders made professional millionaire athletes perform at super human levels.

These guys all know which supplements have the 'taint' in them, that's why they use them. Gives them the easy out excuse when they *pop.....
This lol. The few times I looked at what a fighter claimed was contaminated, it wasn’t some normal shit off the shelf. It was some shady shit they allegedly ordered off the internet. I’m convinced they aren’t even using that, just have the inside scoop on it being a good scapegoat for what they’re using

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the supplement industry notorious for having next to no regulations?

I remember them talking about this on Last Week Tonight, explaining how much random bullshit gets put into supplements, at least in the US. There were a number of US politicians receiving money from these companies to push for a lack of regulation.
the real question is why ur watching last week tonight. lol

Back