• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Social Tense Encounter Between Covington HS Kids and Nathan Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.
@nac386 consistently a fair-minded, humane poster, imo. Seeing the initial video and one old guy surrounded by a crowd of kids acting like brats sparked an impulse to speak against such disrespect.

Sure, the context of this story changed as more information came out. Everyone has learned a lesson about how an isolated video clip doesn't always tell the whole story, but the initial impulse to defend someone who (seems to be) getting bullied is still a basically good impulse, I think. Not something someone should be criticized for.

"Everyone has learned a lesson about how an isolated video clip doesn't always tell the whole story"

This is what I want to pick up on and my entire point. This genre of news is just bad, I get that the NYT is in a conondrum here, how to handle alternative forms of media, but it's becoming a problem. Twitter makes the news and NYT reports it, it's not healthy. It's just reinforcing outrage culture, and it seems to be spiralling. I mean I wasn't invested until I actually went onto Twitter and saw what people were spewing on there which was basically something I've never seen before. The type of visceral violent reaction to, if we are being perfectly clear here, a kid with a smug smile. The punishment doesn't really fit the crime; no racial abuse, no physical altercation. These social media echo chambers are devolving into dangerous groupthink, I think Twitter and other form of social media is having a very very detrimental effect on the fabric of society. It reinforces everything in the most toxic way possible and it goes both ways of course; left and right.

I saw the term digital lynch mob somewhere and that seemed really fitting. That's why it's important to not just jump on a soundbite news story if it fits your politcal sensibilites. They have real life consequenses. The digital world isn't completely detached from the physical world, even if we like to pretend it is. Social media has actual power, whether we like it or not. I mean Twitter made this news and Twitter shaping news isn't a good thing in the slightest.

Hey so the school is locked down with police today. Barricades and spike strips. One other school had to close.

Good job fuck faces!!!
School is cancelled today due to threats from Leftists.

Soooo leftists want to restrict access to firearms to make schools safe, but are okay with leveling threats at MAGA hat wearing HS kids, thus making schools unsafe.

{<doc} <JagsKiddingMe>

Last edited:
More sane than someone calling for the burning of hollywood.

You are incapable of grasping the nuance that the native dude had no affiliation the insane black israelites spewing that garbage. Congrats on buying into the dogwhistle idiocy of "MattWalshBlog" where i'm sure you get a lot of "truth" "facts" etc...

After getting caught in his original lie, the Native guy said it looked like the teens were about to descend on the harmless black guys so he stepped in to ease tensions.

Last edited:
Interesting take on the whole debacle

One student did not get out of Phillips way as he marched, and gave the man a hard stare and a smile that many have described as creepy. This moment received the most media coverage: The teen has been called the product of a "hate factory" and likened to a school shooter, segregation-era racist, and member of the Ku Klux Klan. I have no idea what he was thinking, but portraying this as an example of obvious, racially-motivated hate is a stretch. Maybe he simply had no idea why this man was drumming in his face, and couldn't quite figure out the best response? It bears repeating that Phillips approached him, not the other way around.

And that's all there is to it. Phillips walked away after several minutes, the Black Hebrew Israelites continued to insult the crowd, and nothing else happened.

You can judge for yourself. Here is video footage of the full incident, from the perspective of the black nationalists. Phillips enters the picture around the 1:12 mark, but if you skip to that part, you miss an hour of the Black Hebrew Israelites hurling obscenities at the students. They call them crackers, :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:s, and pedophiles. At the 1:20 mark (which comes after the Phillips incident) they call one of the few black students the n-word and tell him that his friends are going to murder him and steal his organs. At the 1:25 mark, they complain that "you give :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:s rights," which prompted booing from the students. Throughout the video they threaten the kids with violence, and attempt to goad them into attacking first. The students resisted these taunts admirably: They laughed at the hecklers, and they perform a few of their school's sports cheers.

It was at this moment that Phillips, who had attended a nearby peace protest led by indigenous peoples, decided to intervene. He would later tell The Detroit Free Press that the teenagers "were in the process of attacking these four black individuals" and he decided to attempt to de-escalate the situation. He seems profoundly mistaken: The video footage taken by the black nationalists shows no evidence the white teenagers had any intention of attacking. Nevertheless, Phillips characterized the kids as "beasts" and the hate-group members as "their prey":

"There was that moment when I realized I've put myself between beast and prey," Phillips said. "These young men were beastly and these old black individuals was their prey, and I stood in between them and so they needed their pounds of flesh and they were looking at me for that."

Again, all the evidence suggests that Phillips got it backward.

I wonder who would show up to mock people holding and attending a WHITE veterans march and if any "librul" would defend those veterans for the same reason they "claim" is wrong here even though we all know that those very people that got offended where also hurling insults at the "white supremacists" because of a hat they were wearing.

All in all I would say both sides were douches, but those on the left were being douche canoes.

I cannot believe the way the media is trying to backtrack and justify this utter craziness all at the same time. If I was the students in question I would sue the CBC for defamation for the way they reported this story in Canada.

Sorry TS, until you show 10% of the outrage you have for these disrespectful teens towards Phillips for lying multiple times, for his bitch sidekick that yucked it up with the homophobes and filmed the edited version then your recent posts are nothing more than you defending your doubling down after the truth came out

Also need your patented outrage thrown at the Black Israelites, Social Media whores, the media who continued the lie, the celebs calling for violence and lastly the multitude of people either attempting or actually doxxing teens

I cannot believe the way the media is trying to backtrack and justify this utter craziness all at the same time. If I was the students in question I would sue the CBC for defamation for the way they reported this story in Canada.

You notice that's the same narrative some of the die hard posters are also using here

Yes we were wrong. But the kids still wore MAGA hats and were disrespectful by smiling and dancing. And the real problem is people are to upset that people pushed a false story even after the truth came out

Sorry, but smartphones are not the cause of Cultural Marxism and Social Justice. There had to be an highly influential leader pushing for it (which was Obama). Along with the mainstream media.

I don't think you can really blame Obama, and the numbers certainly do not support that. If he emboldened people, why did Obama have 5 million less votes in 2012 than 2008, despite Romney having a much closer race than McCain. Hell, even Clinton had more votes than him in 2016, despite being "one of the worst candidates ever"

The main stream media can certainly be blamed tho. What helps spread media? Smartphones and the internet. Great observation and indirectly agreeing with my point that you tried to disagree with.

And you know what else makes people feel more embolden more than one person like Obama? Numbers and community. You know what has provided a platform to for community for people who would normally be loners, etc? The internet. And what keeps people from perceiving the real world when they go outside, keeping them isolated in their little online communities and group think? Smartphones.

I blame Twitter....

What about facebook, instagram, youtube, worldstar, buzzfeed, liveleak, imgur, 4chan, reddit, etc?

You notice that's the same narrative some of the die hard posters are also using here

Yes we were wrong. But the kids still wore MAGA hats and were disrespectful by smiling and dancing. And the real problem is people are to upset that people pushed a false story even after the truth came out

It really blows my mind. The entire media seems to be doing the same thing, this "article" being an extreme example but overall the sentiment is we were wrong but so what. Honestly, this really shouldn't even be a story and is not something I normally pay much attention to but the way that the media blatantly tried/is trying to push some weird narrative is very worrisome.

Same Disney that canned Jim Gunn for old jokes is going to keep a producer that called for throwing kids in a woodchipper hats first along with an image of a wood chipper and bloody snow

Can't make this shit up

Same Disney that canned Jim Gunn for old jokes is going to keep a producer that called for throwing kids in a woodchipper hats first along with an image of a wood chipper and bloody snow

Can't make this shit up
You're right. You cannot make any of this up!

It really blows my mind. The entire media seems to be doing the same thing, this "article" being an extreme example but overall the sentiment is we were wrong but so what. Honestly, this really shouldn't even be a story and is not something I normally pay much attention to but the way that the media blatantly tried/is trying to push some weird narrative is very worrisome.

And certain drone posters will follow the media Narrative as it's pushed. You can read them in here. Their posts change at the same time as the media narrative changes.

It's as if they can not think outside of what they are told to

So leftists got it wrong again?

Leftists and msm got pwned hard, and they still want their cake and eat it.
Sorry TS, until you show 10% of the outrage you have for these disrespectful teens towards Phillips for lying multiple times, for his bitch sidekick that yucked it up with the homophobes and filmed the edited version then your recent posts are nothing more than you defending your doubling down after the truth came out

Also need your patented outrage thrown at the Black Israelites, Social Media whores, the media who continued the lie, the celebs calling for violence and lastly the multitude of people either attempting or actually doxxing teens

A hundred page garbage race thread?

<DisgustingHHH>

Move on people, there’s much more important shit to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back