That Pace & Pressure (Nicolas Dalby MURDERS Bonfim)

IronGolem007

Po Atan
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wanted to make another thread appreciating Nicolas Dalby, for the pace + pressure + effort he put forth in murdering Gabriel Bonfim in the penultimate fight last night.
  • BONFIM: Age: 26, 15-0, 100% finish rate, -625 favorite
  • DALBY: Age: 38, 23-4-1, never been finished, +455 underdog
Dalby was basically a sacrificial lamb, "a move up" in quality for Bonfim, not given much of a chance to win.

Instead of complying with the script, Dalby put on one of the most determined, intense, and purposeful efforts to win that I've seen in a long time.

It almost reminded me of Hagler x Hearns (back in April, 1995) where I've seen someone just walk through another man's punches, incessantly, fearlessly, over-and-over again, never leaving the pocket.

The only time Dalby wasn't in the pocket, was when Bonfim backed away from him, or tried to take Dalby down, in an effort to avoid the pressure.

Even when down, the moment Dalby was able to get up, he was going right back into that pocket, throwing down, and never stoppped throwing down (including elbows, knees, everything).
By the end of the second round, Dalby had broken Gabriel Bonfim's spirit and will, punctuating it with a succession of knees to the head, and then finishing off his foe after he fell.

The only thing anticlimactic was the sore-losing Brazilian crowd, who were turned into speechlessness.
They didn't even "boo" Dalby; no one could "boo" a performance like that.

Rather than be salty, Dalby thanked the Brazilian crowd for being so loyal to their hometown guy, appreciating their dedication to their fighter, rather than crying about himself.

Too much is being talked about Almeida / Lewis, and not enough is being talked about Nicolas Dalby.
What an absolutely tremendous and sustained effort that man put out. I've re-watched the fight 3x now.

Even Bisping and Cruz started taking note of how game and determined Dalby was, it was a special performance.

Last edited:
Dalby's performance was the highlight of the night for me. He took it to the young & hungry guy and pulled off the win and it was beautiful to watch it happen. Mad respect for the semi-old Danish warrior!

Dalby did almost the same thing against Salikhov. Muslim is much older though, and Dalby just put the pedal on the gas late and won that fight too.

I haven't been that excited in a long time! Dalby may be my new favorite fighter

Word. Mine too.

I literally watched the Hagler x Hearns fight back in 1995, and that was the last time I can actually ever remember a fighter purposefully staying in the pocket for that long, no reset or rest, knowing that was his key to victory.

I feel like although Bonfim was 14 fights into his career, he still didn't have the experience you'd expect.
The guy looked surprised that somebody dared to get close to him. He probably wanted to shoot for a TD and all, and now never got the chance to.

Dalby probably saw this exact scenario play out during camp. Great performance.

Dalby did an amazing job of breaking Bonfim down and closing the bout with a finish.

#Hespect

Still high on Bonfim but Dalby got quite an UP there!

<mma4>

Dalby was undeterred.

It's rare to see somebody who's truly unflappable.

Most fighters will back away when hurt, but Dalby was a man on a mission that night.

Again, sadly, he should have been greeted with ear-deafening applause.
If that was in Madison Square Garden, the crowd roar would have been incredible.

Yet even here, without receiving a single applause, Dalby remained undeterred.
Rather than sniffling, crying, or berating the Brazilian crowd, Dalby embraced their silence.
He decided to appreciate their disappointment.

Dude remained undeterred — as a fighter — and afterward as a person.

Hate to see Dalby's age, but based on last night's performance it means nothing. He is a warrior to the bone.

Will continue to watch him closely for the rest of his career.

Dalby's first UFC finish

Bonfim bros are a bust. imho

They're clearly talented and can make some obvious adjustments to pacing/gameplanning, but they aren't necessarily on a rocket-ship to the top until they sort these issues out. LW might be too deep for Ismael, but I think we'll see Gabriel hit the rankings eventually.

That was a brutal fight. No shitty technique stuff as well.

I can't believe the guy is that old based on how intensely he performed.

I was kinda looking into his bio, as I never really followed him before.

He's had some mental issues, and some highs and lows. (Actually did get finished once, but it was reversed.)

In a way he kind of like Cerrone, where, now that he has kids, it's breathed new life into his motivation.

However, I've never seen Cerrone fight at that kind of a pace.
The pace Dalby kept in this fight was off the charts.
Rarely does anyone keep this kind of pace and pressure, under that kind of firepower.

If Dalby remains motivated like that — even at his age now — he's going to be poison for anyone.

Time will tell

Back