That Pace & Pressure (Nicolas Dalby MURDERS Bonfim)

I attended classes by and sparred Dalby back when he was at Fightcraft (before UFC). The guy always had insane cardio and zero ego when sparring amateurs like myself. Most other pros, you run the risk of getting hurt if you get lucky and land something on them. Dalby would just smile and keep going.

A true legend of danish MMA. If anyone deserves to break the script and beat young guys late into his career - it is this guy.

Word. Mine too.

I literally watched the Hagler x Hearns fight back in 1995, and that was the last time I can actually ever remember a fighter purposefully staying in the pocket for that long, no reset or rest, knowing that was his key to victory.

Are you aware of Subriel Matias? His fighting style might be to your liking.

Bonfim hype train was being sold to the audience during the broadcast -- total disrespect to the elder Dalby.

Dalby was invited to Bonfim's celebration as the condemned guest. So, it was wonderful to see him just driving into Bonfim in Rd 2, then reducing Bonfim to a clump of dirty laundry on the Octagon floor.

Statesman Dalby gracious in Victory surrounded by the quiet mob.

I feel like although Bonfim was 14 fights into his career, he still didn't have the experience you'd expect.
The guy looked surprised that somebody dared to get close to him. He probably wanted to shoot for a TD and all, and now never got the chance to.

Dalby probably saw this exact scenario play out during camp. Great performance.

I've been trying to figure out what Bonfim needed to do differently in camp. I don't think he needed to do anything differently physically, I think he was just unprepared mentally for someone who could damage him like this. He didn't even last to the end of the round, where his coaches could have given him a new gameplan. It's crazy how quickly Darby emptied his gas tank and his will with it.

Honestly, I am not.

But I appreciate the tip and will definitely look him up.

Reactions: CPH
I've been trying to figure out what Bonfim needed to do differently in camp. I don't think he needed to do anything differently physically, I think he was just unprepared mentally for someone who could damage him like this. He didn't even last to the end of the round, where his coaches could have given him a new gameplan. It's crazy how quickly Darby emptied his gas tank and his will with it.

One of my favorite fighters ever, Evander Holyfield, said it best:
  • "Pressure busts pipes ..."

Man, I looked this dude up, and I now appreciate the tip even more.

Have *pinged* him on my alerts going forward.

Cheers.

Watching back Dalby's fights in the lead-up you could tell he had become a total student of the game and was someone who had gotten significantly better with age. Even if Bonfim had made it out of the second round Dalby would have just continued putting a crazy amount of damage on him because the guy does not slow down. Being stopped in the second round and not having had to endure a career altering amount of damage in the third is better for Bonfim in the long term imo. Bonfim still has all the makings of a future champion.

Dalby seems to be in a weird place career wise because they don't want to give him a big fight against a ranked opponent and risk him derailing a younger established name but he is still too athletic, explosive, and powerful even at 39 to book in old guy fights. I'd be interested in seeing Dalby against someone like Gilbert Burns who I would give him a decent shot at defeating.

Watching back Dalby's fights in the lead-up you could tell he had become a total student of the game and was someone who had gotten significantly better with age. Even if Bonfim had made it out of the second round Dalby would have just continued putting a crazy amount of damage on him because the guy does not slow down. Being stopped in the second round and not having had to endure a career altering amount of damage in the third is better for Bonfim in the long term imo. Bonfim still has all the makings of a future champion.

Nice post.

Dalby has apparently reflected on his shortcomings of the past (not many, BTW), and as you said has used his experience to improve himself.

Meanwhile Bonfim = young kid, without much experience, and without ever having to face adversity.

Adversity = the greatest soul-testing medium by which to test any fighter's greatness.

Bonfim failed his first test.
He will either get better, or he will get worse.

There are many fighters who are elite — so long as you give them the space + time to operate and regroup.
There are many such fighters, who if you don't give them this space + time to operate and regroup, can be reduced and obliterated rather quickly.

Dalby seems to be in a weird place career wise because they don't want to give him a big fight against a ranked opponent and risk him derailing a younger established name but he is still too athletic, explosive, and powerful even at 39 to book in old guy fights. I'd be interested in seeing Dalby against someone like Gilbert Burns who I would give him a decent shot at defeating.

Completely concur.

Yay happy for my boy!
Haven't seen the fight yet but happy to see Dalby getting all kinds of respect. Not a lot of MMA fighters worth talking about in DK (we're too comfy to fight) but this one got people talking.

I attended classes by and sparred Dalby back when he was at Fightcraft (before UFC). The guy always had insane cardio and zero ego when sparring amateurs like myself. Most other pros, you run the risk of getting hurt if you get lucky and land something on them. Dalby would just smile and keep going.

A true legend of danish MMA. If anyone deserves to break the script and beat young guys late into his career - it is this guy.

Are you saying you popped him good?

I wanted to make another thread appreciating Nicolas Dalby, for the pace + pressure + effort he put forth in murdering Gabriel Bonfim in the penultimate fight last night.
  • BONFIM: Age: 26, 15-0, 100% finish rate, -625 favorite
  • DALBY: Age: 38, 23-4-1, never been finished, +455 underdog
Dalby was basically a sacrificial lamb, "a move up" in quality for Bonfim, not given much of a chance to win.

Instead of complying with the script, Dalby put on one of the most determined, intense, and purposeful efforts to win that I've seen in a long time.

It almost reminded me of Hagler x Hearns (back in April, 1995) where I've seen someone just walk through another man's punches, incessantly, fearlessly, over-and-over again, never leaving the pocket.

The only time Dalby wasn't in the pocket, was when Bonfim backed away from him, or tried to take Dalby down, in an effort to avoid the pressure.

Even when down, the moment Dalby was able to get up, he was going right back into that pocket, throwing down, and never stoppped throwing down (including elbows, knees, everything).
By the end of the second round, Dalby had broken Gabriel Bonfim's spirit and will, punctuating it with a succession of knees to the head, and then finishing off his foe after he fell.

The only thing anticlimactic was the sore-losing Brazilian crowd, who were turned into speechlessness.
They didn't even "boo" Dalby; no one could "boo" a performance like that.

Rather than be salty, Dalby thanked the Brazilian crowd for being so loyal to their hometown guy, appreciating their dedication to their fighter, rather than crying about himself.

Too much is being talked about Almeida / Lewis, and not enough is being talked about Nicolas Dalby.
What an absolutely tremendous and sustained effort that man put out. I've re-watched the fight 3x now.

Even Bisping and Cruz started taking note of how game and determined Dalby was, it was a special performance.
Great to see Mac get the win, the gang needed it

Back