Social The American Society of Magical Negroes. Leftist racism on full display.

Fascism is ultra-nationalism based around racial and ethnic supremacy, period. It is exclusively right-wing and anything but leftist or liberal. Leftists can certainly be authoritarian, despotic, tyrannical, etc. and these are the descriptive terms people are actually looking for when they rail against "left-wing fascists" because there's no such thing. It's preposterous.
Wakanda forever

The trailer looks terrible and incredibly racist.

It's too bad because this subject has great potential for satire.

We've all seen the "magical negro" trope as much as the white savior, or noble savage tropes. It's often empty virtue signaling, lazy ass writing, and sometimes straight up racist, all ripe for satire.

stoked for this, been waiting for this kind of movie for a long time, unfortunately no theatre release where i live. Imo dont fret about the race politics n just enjoy the magical negros.

The white victimhood and snowflake complaining on this forum sometimes gets so tiresome. It's a stupid parody movie. Who cares.
We are not calling ourselves victim. We are calling out the people who call themselves victims and then pull this shit off.

Exposing double standards is not complaining about being a victim, even if it goes against your prefered narrative.

We are not calling ourselves victim. We are calling out the people who call themselves victims and then pull this shit off.

Exposing double standards is not complaining about being a victim, even if it goes against your prefered narrative.

What's the double standard here? The film is a parody of a trope.

Snowflake whites are not able to comprehend the nuances of a parody. They've never experienced what it's like to be a person of color.

You guys know this is a comedy, a satire right? It’s a David Allen Grier flick.

Im not saying it doesn’t suck or isn't shitty or whatever, I dunno. I haven’t even watched the trailer.
I‘m just putting it out there that this isn’t a serious movie. The “most dangerous animal” thing is a satire, a joke.
It's not but the theme isn't great. Keeping white people happy so they don't hurt blacks doesn't help in today's climate imo. It only made 1.8M in two weeks which makes me happy people aren't turning out.

It's not but the theme isn't great. Keeping white people happy so they don't hurt blacks doesn't help in today's climate imo. It only made 1.8M in two weeks which makes me happy people aren't turning out.
I’ll be honest, I don’t really subscribe to that reasoning. A lot of things like this are called “divisive,” and what is meant by that term is simply that it upsets white people. That’s what makes it “divisive.” For decades, there were racist depictions of American Americans, all sorts of tropes, stereotypes, and jokes, but it wasn’t viewed by whites as divisive because most didn’t care what African Americans thought, and had a societal position of power anyhow in which African Americans didn’t have a sufficient voice to make the complaint heard.

I actually think it’s a little bit ironic to say, “Keeping white people happy so they don't hurt blacks doesn't help in today's climate,” with the proposed solution being that black filmmakers should not make this film, in order to keep whites happy.

If people aren’t interested in this topic or film, they won’t go see the movie, which seems to be the case anyhow.

I’ll be honest, I don’t really subscribe to that reasoning. A lot of things like this are called “divisive,” and what is meant by that term is simply that it upsets white people. That’s what makes it “divisive.” For decades, there were racist depictions of American Americans, all sorts of tropes, stereotypes, and jokes, but it wasn’t viewed by whites as divisive because most didn’t care what African Americans thought, and had a societal position of power anyhow in which African Americans didn’t have a sufficient voice to make the complaint heard.

I actually think it’s a little bit ironic to say, “Keeping white people happy so they don't hurt blacks doesn't help in today's climate,” with the proposed solution being that black filmmakers should not make this film, in order to keep whites happy.

If people aren’t interested in this topic or film, they won’t go see the movie, which seems to be the case anyhow.
Dude... I dont think we do black face and some of the tropes anymore for a reason. You are free to say that its ironic but its my honest take. Its not even drawing the lot of the black crowd or any other. If you reverse the narrative and replace black peeps with whites in this script then the reaction would be different imo. There are plenty of comedies that focus on white people tropes that are still funny. I'm simply saying that this narrative doesnt help as its a real topic today.

Last edited:
Well, this film was never going to do well either way. Doesn't have much of a prospective audience to cater to.

What's the double standard here? The film is a parody of a trope.
Yet the director did make it serious:

"One of the things critics talk about is that the ‘magical negro’ trope is a ‘happy slave’ trope," Libii told JoBlo Celebrity Interviews. "It imagines that Black people love fitting themselves into systems of White power. That we're actually quite happy to do that, right? Which I think for a White majority is a really comforting fantasy."

"It's like, ‘Oh, OK, it’s all OK,' like America didn't do anything bad. 'It's all OK,' right? That fantasy I think is really compelling for White people," he continued.

In the same interview, the film's protagonist, played by actor Justice Smith, revealed he also related to his character's experience having to "make himself small" to make the White people around him "feel comfortable."

"It's a lot of people of color's experience," he said. Smith called exploring that dynamic on screen "cathartic."

"To me, part of the political work I’m doing in this film is from the bottom of my heart, not thinking about how a White audience will react to it. But trying to express my particular experience being subjected to systemic racism," he said."

Overall its a message under the guise of satire.

Overall its a message under the guise of satire.
That's what satire is though. Here's the straightforward wiki definition
Satire is a genre of the visual, literary, and performing arts, usually in the form of fiction and less frequently non-fiction, in which vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, often with the intent of exposing or shaming the perceived flaws of individuals, corporations, government, or society itself into improvement. Although satire is usually meant to be humorous, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit to draw attention to both particular and wider issues in society.
Personally I don't think I'd watch this film but I did watch Sorry to Bother You which was a satire on race and class and whatnot and I thought it was pretty good. Kinda goes off the rails towards the end but the issue wasn't the themes of race.

That's what satire is though. Here's the straightforward wiki definition

Personally I don't think I'd watch this film but I did watch Sorry to Bother You which was a satire on race and class and whatnot and I thought it was pretty good. Kinda goes off the rails towards the end but the issue wasn't the themes of race.
Sure.. but the directors intent is a serious message instead of saying its just for the comedic value. Again... doesnt help today's culture imo. Satire is meant to ridicule these things. But in this case what is their thing.

Sure.. but the directors intent is a serious message instead of saying its just for the comedic value. Again... doesnt help today's culture imo. Satire is meant to ridicule these things. But in this case what is their thing.
Satire is meant to communicate a serious message through humor. If its just empty laughs without social commentary its not really satire.

Back