The Anime and Manga Thread v48

its not really all that good.

It's crazy but I've sort of just been hate watching it now. It's almost like a Bandai employees son went to business school then came back to their dad who works at Bandai and pitched them this story idea. All this talk of mergers, companies, stocks, investments, all I can think is who the fuck did they make this for? Cause it's not Gundam fans.

It's crazy but I've sort of just been hate watching it now. It's almost like a Bandai employees son went to business school then came back to their dad who works at Bandai and pitched them this story idea. All this talk of mergers, companies, stocks, investments, all I can think is who the fuck did they make this for? Cause it's not Gundam fans.

if you want a good gundam, watch orgins and Stardust

if you want a good gundam, watch orgins and Stardust

Yea I watched origin it was pretty good. Stardust I started but I dropped it. I think I was just watching to much Gundam at that point.

I read Medalist and liked it a lot. It's the sort of well made manga that makes me come back to the medium even though I have by now essentially grown out of anime. I find the trainer, the girl, and their relationship as a well made and interesting foundation for the story, but it is the rival and her orbit that captures me; they make a great dynamic together.

If you have not read them, then Ran to Haiiro no Sekai, The Magnificent Grand Scene, and my beloved Narutaru would be good recommendations in a similar vein. Now, "little girls and their coming of age" is hardly my favorite subject, but all of these are really solid. Fair warning though: Grand Scence hasn't been translated for I believe soon to be two years and Narutaru can be somewhat heavy.

Forgot to comment on the stuff about the rival Hikaru in Medalist. I legitimately love that they made her actually legitimately a nice person whom besides the Trainer Tsukasa is the most supportive towards Inori.

Read Ran to Haiiro no Sekai ages and rec'd back then. Good manga, but some of the ending stuff was...divisive and I feel like they could have done more with the brothers HS life than they did.

Grand Scene if I remember is the ballet one right? Really need to pick it up again as it was really good.

Narutaru I'm gonna have to pass on.

Super glad you liked Medalist. I'd also recommend Witch Hat Atelier which is also getting an anime soon.

I re-read Ran a month or so ago, and came to the conclusion that while it was quite good so wasn't it as good as I felt the first time. I believe that the initial surprising charm of the work made a strong impression upon me, which didn't remain to the same degree when I already knew what to expect; still a really good manga though, but I believe it could have been even more if it was more elaborated. As you said, could definitely have done more with the brother. May I ask what exactly was divisive about it?

Yes, it's about ballet. Nothing groundbreaking, just a good, enjoyable manga with good characters and story progression. Pretty much a sports manga.

Ok about Narutaru. Don't know if I may have overstated it; it isn't the most disturbing or even close to what I have encountered in manga, but it has two things that might be a bit unpleasant. For example, Bokurano by the same author and the anime Now and Then, Here and There was both far more disturbing for me, if you have seen or read either. Also Ef - Tales of Melodies was worse. And, while I'm on the topic, so has, though not in any way disturbing, 5 Centimeters per second emotionally scarred me more than anything else - great movie though.

I did start Atelier earlier, but never got into it. Will probably restart it on your recommendation.

I re-read Ran a month or so ago, and came to the conclusion that while it was quite good so wasn't it as good as I felt the first time. I believe that the initial surprising charm of the work made a strong impression upon me, which didn't remain to the same degree when I already knew what to expect; still a really good manga though, but I believe it could have been even more if it was more elaborated. As you said, could definitely have done more with the brother. May I ask what exactly was divisive about it?

Yes, it's about ballet. Nothing groundbreaking, just a good, enjoyable manga with good characters and story progression. Pretty much a sports manga.

Ok about Narutaru. Don't know if I may have overstated it; it isn't the most disturbing or even close to what I have encountered in manga, but it has two things that might be a bit unpleasant. For example, Bokurano by the same author and the anime Now and Then, Here and There was both far more disturbing for me, if you have seen or read either. Also Ef - Tales of Melodies was worse. And, while I'm on the topic, so has, though not in any way disturbing, 5 Centimeters per second emotionally scarred me more than anything else - great movie though.

I did start Atelier earlier, but never got into it. Will probably restart it on your recommendation.

Witch Hat Atelier is very good(use Mangalife as those use actual volume scans) as is Shadows House if you're into Gothic Mystery. I'm familiar with the others you listed alongside Narutaru and have also passed on due to the same reasons of being mentally and emotionally shredding and scarring.

Forgot about Ran to Haiiro no Sekai. The divisive aspect was the guy with glasses crushing on Ran even after discovering she was MS age and simply being aged up because of the sneakers as well as generally being a shameless sleaze with the series seemingly to redeem him or at least try to build sympathy for him at the end. Just another thing that could have been better fleshed out.

Last edited:
Witch Hat Atelier is very good(use Mangalife as those use actual volume scans) as is Shadows House if you're into Gothic Mystery. I'm familiar with the others you listed alongside Narutaru and have also passed on due to the same reasons of being mentally and emotionally shredding and scarring.

Shadows House threw me off because I found the shadow design intuitively unappealing, so it led nowhere, but I believe will try it again. I have been on a bit of a manga binge lately, and anything that I have missed of quality is appreciated.

Entirely fair about Narutaru and the like. Did you watch Tenki no Ko or Kimi no Na wa.? 5 centimeters was basically all that heart tugging ability used for evil, and also, in my opinion, a better work - it's interesting how some people manage to reach certain heights just when they are raw and somewhat unrefined. I really should watch Suzume when I have time, but it needs to be in the right way when I'm in the correct mood.

Also, I forgot: Ran's author now does an enjoyable manga about... Iceland. It is something worth checking out.

Last edited:
Forgot about Ran to Haiiro no Sekai. The divisive aspect was the guy with glasses crushing on Ran even after discovering she was MS age and simply being aged up because of the sneakers as well as generally being a shameless sleaze with the series seemingly to redeem him or at least try to build sympathy for him at the end. Just another thing that could have been better fleshed out.
Yup, that right there almost completely undermined my enjoyment of the series. It was such a bad decision on the author's part. It went from an easy recommend to something I'll only mention if somebody is looking specifically for that kind of magical surrealism/romance.

Yea I watched origin it was pretty good. Stardust I started but I dropped it. I think I was just watching to much Gundam at that point.
watch Gundam unicorn it's very good and the animation is top notch.

Shadows House threw me off because I found the shadow design intuitively unappealing, so it led nowhere, but I believe will try it again. I have been on a bit of a manga binge lately, and anything that I have missed of quality is appreciated.

Entirely fair about Narutaru and the like. Did you watch Tenki no Ko or Kimi no Na wa.? 5 centimeters was basically all that heart tugging ability used for evil, and also, in my opinion, a better work - it's interesting how some people manage to reach certain heights just when they are raw and somewhat unrefined. I really should watch Suzume when I have time, but it needs to be in the right way when I'm in the correct mood.

Also, I forgot: Ran's author now does an enjoyable manga about... Iceland. It is something worth checking out.
Read the Iceland manga. Was really good. The thing with the cop and younger brother are super weird though.

Read the Iceland manga. Was really good. The thing with the cop and younger brother are super weird though.

Yeah, but hey, I'm not one to ever complain about any mystery or intrigue. But the fact that the manga would work just perfectly fine without it, speaks to the ability of the mangaka. I could just as easily enjoy a comfy slice-of-life depiction of Iceland.

Yeah, but hey, I'm not one to ever complain about any mystery or intrigue. But the fact that the manga would work just perfectly fine without it, speaks to the ability of the mangaka. I could just as easily enjoy a comfy slice-of-life depiction of Iceland.
Don't disagree. I'm just worried it might flub the landing. I also like the mundane magic bits as well. If you're a fan of gorgeous art as well as historicals, then check out Otoyomegatari.

Yet another that I started but didn't go anywhere; the problem for me was that I didn't like the use of color. I mean, it's a thousand times better than what is made in the "color-versions" of certain manga, but a large point of charm for me with manga was always the black and white artwork. I can't but help to feel that the use of color in this case is a regression; it's of different nature from what you normally find in color pages, which I have no problems with. But, since my single most important point with manga is that it is of high quality (I can enjoy basically any genre, since my love is for the medium as such), I will give it another chance.

Well, now I have four mangas to check out. Will return here with my impressions if I have anything worthwhile to say.

Decided to catch up on Ippo after a few years. Good to see the other characters are moving on with their careers while Ippo and Miyata stay stagnant.

hmmm, mind if i throw in a few to change it up a little bit?

Patlabor
Gunbuster
Zeorymer
Gasaraki

Detanotar Orgun

bonus: Iczer saga..

hmmm, mind if i throw in a few to change it up a little bit?

Patlabor
Gunbuster
Zeorymer
Gasaraki

Detanotar Orgun

bonus: Iczer saga..

Always heard good things about Patlabor but ever watched it. I’ll start with that one. Thanks.

Back