The Con is on

That's fair enough. Personally, I think school curriculum are terrible as is. They should be teaching kids how to be successful in the real world, instead of how to pass crappy tests. More emphasis on trades perhaps?

Agreed. It really kind of pisses me off that computer maintenance isn't a part of our education process. It should be the new auto/home ec class.

What are my sex fetishes? What is so wrong with banging babes buttholes?
You have a sex fetish with Canadians, you keep fucking all of us while you haven't had a job for 2 years, while constantly blaming feminism, BLM and salon.com

Agreed. It really kind of pisses me off that computer maintenance isn't a part of our education process. It should be the new auto/home ec class.
Some jurisdictions are counting coding as a language requirement, thats interesting, not quite sure how i feel about it , i go back and forth

As to Trump, and this piece. Taiibi is right. This has become a big reality TV show, and a game of identity politics.

What I wish the piece did a better job of was pointing out that the failure is not Trump's, but the media's.

The fact that Trump can do what he is doing right now. That you can run without answering real questions, or that your media persona is who you are in the eyes of the public, is a systemic problem.
Right now he is driving ratings and there is still 6 candidates, when its down to two he will have to outline policy and answer for past statements

That isn't a good argument to me. In Norway, teachers set there own curriculum, and they do really well in their results.

Decentralizing education would be a good thing.

Bollocks. And this is from a New Orleans lad who lived in Oslo for a bit as an attorney. Norway doen't have 1/10000th, of the partisanship that the U.S. has.

The idea, that localizing education based on the insane regional political biases that the U.S. has, is somehow a good educational model, is fucking absurd.

There is a reason why the Rockefeller foundation, the Carnegie foundation, etc are so invloved in the school system and it ain't to promote critical thinking.

Right now he is driving ratings and there is still 6 candidates, when its down to two he will have to outline policy and answer for past statements

Only if you don't attack him, and you can speak well on the issues.

If you attack him the circus continues. This strategy also takes time to take effect, and I mean months of time.

At the time it was Saskatchewan , Canada, and Victoria as well. It was taught in their computer class.

Been to Victoria, wouldn't surprise me to find out it had an exceptional schools district. Of course in the US school districts are funded by property taxes, so that judgement maybe flawed.

Bollocks. And this is from a New Orleans lad who lived in Oslo for a bit as an attorney. Norway doen't have 1/10000th, of the partisanship that the U.S. has.

The idea, that localizing education based on the insane regional political biases that the U.S. has, is somehow a good educational model, is fucking absurd.

Who really cares if they teach kids that the earth is 6000 years old. It is their kids that will have to pay the piper.

Seems like a self solving problem.

Been to Victoria, wouldn't surprise me to find out it had an exceptional schools district. Of course in the US school districts are funded by property taxes, so that judgement maybe flawed.
Like anywhere, some good schools, some so so. ONE teacher can change your life, never mind a school :)

Like anywhere, some good schools, some so so. ONE teacher can change your life, never mind a school :)

Agreed, and I would like to empower those teachers instead of hamstring them. Too much testing, too much writ memorization going on right now.

Unfounded? America is founded on local education.

The United States was founded, formed and grew to international prominence and prestige without compulsory schoolingand with virtually no government involvement in schooling. Before the advent of government-controlled schools, literacy was high (91-97% in the North, 81% in the South), private and community schools proliferated, and people cared about education and acted on their desire to learn and have their children learn.

Early America was arguably the freest civil society that has ever existed. This freedom extended to education, which meant that parents were responsible for, and had complete control of, their children's schooling. There were no accrediting agencies, no regulatory boards, and no teacher certification requirements. Parents could choose whatever kind of school or education they wanted for their children, and no one was forced to pay for education they did not use or approve of.

Source:

How Did Government Get So Involved in Education?

Again, what successful and educated first world nation has completely localized education? I'll wait.

You maybe right. I was basing my opinion here on articles I had read painting a picture of no testing, and teachers being free to set their own class material.

My point here is more towards the idea that what we are teaching our kids, and how we are teaching our kids needs to change. Creating 10,000's of experiments, and seeing what works and what doesn't, has risk, but so does the status quo.

I have no qualms about allowing for such experimentation. However, that's a matter of easing restrictiveness on instructors, not abandoning all guidelines for curriculum. I do agree that a free market-type approach in which instructors are encouraged to innovate is a good thing, but removing state and federal oversight and adherence would be extreme and destructive and would further the educational divide between wealthy and poor communities as well as the divide between wealthy and poor states. Frankly, allowing for any level of decentralization is bound to hurt the low-income districts because of their lack of funding and ability to accommodate innovation, but completely decentralizing would more or less destroy them. Honestly, the difference between suburban private schools and low-income rural public schools is already astonishing.

Lower level autonomy is not only important, it's necessary so that the administrators and instructors do not become detached from their work. However, accountability to certain standards in the outcome of their administration (and teaching) must absolutely remain in place.

Germane to this topic, I had the privilege and meeting and listening to Superintendent Tiffany Anderson last month. She single-handedly turned around a low-income school district by properly vetting teachers, allocating money to necessary services like mental health, and ending the ludicrous punitive standards of mass suspension and expulsion.

I highly encourage anyone interested in education to read about this lady. She is as awesome as she is sassy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...dac2ca-a4e6-11e5-ad3f-991ce3374e23_story.html
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_8b4f1644-1dd1-5d6c-8344-d133e27b6015.html

Who really cares if they teach kids that the earth is 6000 years old. It is their kids that will have to pay the piper.

Seems like a self solving problem.

Uh, no. We all have to deal with that stupidity. Those kids vote. Look at this board for fucks sake. TCK and Rip believe that nonsense. And they have the same say as anyone with a formal education. We do have to deal with them, with real national consequences.

Again, what successful and educated first world nation has completely localized education? I'll wait.

I have no qualms about allowing for such experimentation. However, that's a matter of easing restrictiveness on instructors, not abandoning all guidelines for curriculum. I do agree that a free market-type approach in which instructors are encouraged to innovate is a good thing, but removing state and federal oversight and adherence would be extreme and destructive and would further the educational divide between wealthy and poor communities as well as the divide between wealthy and poor states. Frankly, allowing for any level of decentralization is bound to hurt the low-income districts because of their lack of funding and ability to accommodate innovation, but completely decentralizing would more or less destroy them. Honestly, the difference between suburban private schools and low-income rural public schools is already astonishing.

Lower level autonomy is not only important, it's necessary so that the administrators and instructors do not become detached from their work. However, accountability to certain standards in the outcome of their administration (and teaching) must absolutely remain in place.

Germane to this topic, I had the privilege and meeting and listening to Superintendent Tiffany Anderson last month. She single-handedly turned around a low-income school district by properly vetting teachers, allocating money to necessary services like mental health, and ending the ludicrous punitive standards of mass suspension and expulsion.

I highly encourage anyone interested in education to read about this lady. She is as awesome as she is sassy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...dac2ca-a4e6-11e5-ad3f-991ce3374e23_story.html
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_8b4f1644-1dd1-5d6c-8344-d133e27b6015.html

More than fair. I wouldn't mind seeing a decentralization tied to Federal funds given for improving school districts. Set up a playbook for the worse performing, underfunded schools, to earn a path to better funding. Set it up in a way so that those funds have to be used for programs outside of core curriculum, so that the states can't defund the schools pushing it to federal funding.

Uh, no. We all have to deal with that stupidity. Those kids vote. Look at this board for fucks sake. TCK and Rip believe that nonsense. And they have the same say as anyone with a formal education. We do have to deal with them, with real national consequences.

My point is that this would force them to reform themselves, or else face the consequences.

When you protect people from their own failings, you enable them.

More than fair. I wouldn't mind seeing a decentralization tied to Federal funds given for improving school districts. Set up a playbook for the worse performing, underfunded schools, to earn a path to better funding. Set it up in a way so that those funds have to be used for programs outside of core curriculum, so that the states can't defund the schools pushing it to federal funding.

I am in complete agreement with this. Anderson touched on this in her platform. However, this would call for a requirement on states to form oversight committees of some sort and would be seen as a federal overreach of a different kind. It would also meet some criticism for being unconstitutional most likely as well. While the Constitution allows for federal funding of education, its allowances for dictating to the state how it operates are much more narrow.

Back