The (DYEL Status) Pub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes...10000000000%.

I think NFL players are the best athletes on the planet.

Wait, are you going being sarcastic, jimmy? Lol

No. No sarcasm. If you make it to the NFL, or excel in the NFL, you're probably a genetic masterpiece that could have succeeded at just about any athletic endeavour.

Yeah, I'm not even a huge football fan but I'll watch it when it's on for dat A level athletism.

From a pure athletic stand point, I tend to think that NBA guys are better than NFL guys, but guys in the NFL could definitely smash huge weights if that's what they trained for.

It's my birthday today. Off to a great start, had an all you can eat breakfast with my sons; bacon, sausages, eggs, hash browns, mushrooms and lots of coffee. Got given some nice beers and coffee as gifts too. The sun is out now, so will be off to the woods for a walk and to feed the ducks, before a nice dinner and a couple of pints of Guinness at a nearby country pub.

Simple things (for a simple person).

Hope everyone else has a nice weekend.

Damn, I didnt see one happy birthday....whats happening to this place. Congrats on being one year closer to death. Thats a mighty fine breakfast you had there. We are having "breakfast for dinner" tomorrow...my kids love it.

Pints Of Guiness Make You Strong

From a pure athletic stand point, I tend to think that NBA guys are better than NFL guys, but guys in the NFL could definitely smash huge weights if that's what they trained for.

From a pure athletic standpoint its gymnists and it aint even close.

You think gymnasts have the same or better combination of strength, speed, size, agility, etc?

Lol no. Male gymnasts are manlets that perform a practiced routine of set movements.

Fuck outta here with that.

You think gymnasts have the same or better combination of strength, speed, size, agility, etc?

Lol no. Male gymnasts are manlets that perform a practiced routine of set movements.

Fuck outta here with that.

Sure do, a bar or rings not fighting back doesnt diminish what they do. And a practiced routine doenst make what they do any easier. Gymnastics requires high levels of speed, power, and agility. It is very common now a days to put young children in gymnastics, especially boys to enhance all of these attributes before they move on into other sports.

I have a gymnastics background and I don't think it's worth shit. The demand on limit strength just isn't there.

I have a gymnastics background and I don't think it's worth shit. The demand on limit strength just isn't there.

A: Were you any good?
B: Limit strength is far from the defining trait for "Athleticism".

Remember, this debate is over who the best athletes are.

Happy b-day Milkman. Sounds like you had a great day.

I saw Cannibal the Musical this afternoon (written by Trey Parker) and it was ridiculous, in a good way.

From a pure athletic standpoint its gymnists and it aint even close.

Having a career that has allowed me to work with many high level athletes from all sports, I'm going to tell you you're absolutely wrong.

A: Were you any good?
B: Limit strength is far from the defining trait for "Athleticism".

Remember, this debate is over who the best athletes are.

A. I never competed but I don't remember totally sucking. I was a young kid.
B. It's a huge piece of the puzzle. The idea of "power" in gymnastics IMHO is a bit misleading because the force generated is fairly low compared to pushing a person or something.

What you suggested is that kids who are tossed into gymnastics at a very young age will have an advantage in athleticism in later sports. I haven't seen this to be consistently true although kids who take to one sport generally take to lots of them.

In the context of my coaching experience, which is taekwondo, the kids with the most success are those who were placed in pre-junior programs for the sport they compete in as juniors. Like a Little Tigers program or whatever.

Tangentially, for kids and juniors the most important thing is competing and time in the sport. Athletic qualities can and should come later as well as developing systematic approaches based on strengths and weaknesses. Usually in taekwondo the 14-17 age group is where high level players come into their own. Lots of coaches have game plans and strength and conditioning regimens for 13 year Olds, but I am firmly convinced that dominating junior divisions by approaching them like an adult does nothing for a developing competitor.

I should qualify the above statement by saying I don't have much beyond a basic working knowledge of gymnastics.

I'm having fun. I loved coaching kids and I never get to talk about it any more.

Sure do, a bar or rings not fighting back doesnt diminish what they do. And a practiced routine doenst make what they do any easier. Gymnastics requires high levels of speed, power, and agility. It is very common now a days to put young children in gymnastics, especially boys to enhance all of these attributes before they move on into other sports.

Bro...just stop.

Damn, I didnt see one happy birthday....whats happening to this place. Congrats on being one year closer to death. Thats a mighty fine breakfast you had there. We are having "breakfast for dinner" tomorrow...my kids love it.

Pints Of Guiness Make You Strong

Ha thank you. It was a self indulgent post, and maybe I'm just not that popular! Had a few well wishers in my log so I won't be topping myself just yet.

I don't, and I don't plan on starting one. People are more than welcome to ask anything they want, though. I really just stick to the basics. Lots of practise with the main lifts, some assistance, and a decent amount of bro work.
Give us some examples then. In an individual thread. Called "Jim's Log", or something...

What sort of lifts you using for assistance and bro?

Having a career that has allowed me to work with many high level athletes from all sports, I'm going to tell you you're absolutely wrong.

Please elaborate as to why this is. What are your defining characteristics for "athleticism" and how do basketball players and or football players better fit the description? I have no problem being wrong, but I do have a problem with people telling me I am obviously wrong without giving any reason as to why.

Is running extremely fast and lowering you shoulder into someone a better utilization of strength, speed and coordination than twirling around on a bar, pausing for a hand stand, then twirling around again, becoming airborne and doing a flip and shit then catching the bar and continuing?

I wonder what piece of fabric Mark Bell is going to slap a "Slingshot" logo on to sell to fanboys next?

I saw a video the other day of him marketing his compression cuffs to wear OVER knee sleeves.

I wonder how Coan, Karwoski, Kaz, and the rest of that generation ever survived.

This is my favourite ST invention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back