The fighters who never gave up on their dreams

If we can count former champs then Aldo is a great example. Arlovski is another one, still competing after so long. Hendo fought for the belt at 46. Tony Ferguson still seems to have hope. Cruz was out for years due to injuries, came back and won the belt again. He got starched by Cody then came back 4 years later only to get starched again by Cejudo. Now he's still fighting and facing Marlon Vera next.

I think the 2 rds of cardio is an example of how serious Zabit was but I have no doubt that the UFC fucked him around a bit because that's what they do.

Glover, Charles, Bisping, Werdum, Lawler, RDA, Jan
Great pics. I remember when Lawlor came back to the UFC. I truly thought he wouldn't go anywhere. Boy, was I proven wrong. I certainly do not see a resurgence in his career. I wish he'd retire.

Just to clarify something I've wondered about for a while...

I've always thought that "losing his eye" was metaphorical, even when he removed that prosthetic on camera, it's not a full fake eyeball there, just a "cover" for aesthetic... his eye is still there under it, but he can't see much out of it.

I think he said 30% or something, which was how he was able to fool to doctors into thinking he was still seeing well. You couldn't get cleared to fight at this level if you're literally missing an eyeball.

Then some time after the Gastelum fight, when he was sure he was staying retired, he had his eyeball removed entirely, so it stopped hurting, and since he could barely see out of it anyway...

I'm sure I got some details wrong, but that's pretty much the gist of it, right? He still had his eye in the UFC, it was just damaged badly and he couldn't see well out of it?

About fighters that never gave up on their dreams, I'd like to give a shout out to Yoon Dong Sik, aka the Judo King without a Crown
  • 12384.jpg
When he arrived in Japan in 2005 and lost his first fight against Kazushi Sakuraba, the Gracie Hunter invited him to stay in Japan and train in MMA with his connections.
That's when the man that will later be known as the Dongbar made a vow... he would stay in Japan and keep fighting until he got a win.

PRIDE never let him have an easy one though, even if his next fight against his former Judo rival Makoto Takimoto (who won a Gold medal in the 2000s Summer Olympic in Sydney) was arguably a step down in competition...
Sadly he didn't taste victory yet, and lost to the man he once beat in Judo at the 2000 Osaka games, where Takimoto got the Bronze medal while Yoon Dong Sik got the gold.
  • 20004.jpg
Dong Sik Yoon then faced Rampage Jackson, showing his toughness by taking Quinton to a decision
  • 25856.jpg
then lost another decision to former UFC champion, Brazilian Top Team OG and all around BJJ badass Murilo Bustamante.

• 37585.jpg
Things started to look grim for our King without a Crown, and when he was matched up against Melvin Manhoef for his first fight outside of PRIDE, he was a huge underdog.
"No Mercy" was in a pretty good place at this point, being 17-3-1 in MMA, with his only recent loss being to Judo prodigy Sexyama.

The fight started and Manhoef was true to his nickname, it was pretty damn violent!

But Dong did it, he did it the absolute madman!!!
  • 44885.jpg
The Dongbar was officially born, I don't know if it was first used by a sherdogger but someone posted a thread right after the fight titled "DONG DONG DONG I LOVE DONG" in which he descibred the dongbar, so if he got it somewhere else, it made its way to sherdog fast.

But since the fight wasn't in California, I guess it didn't count in his head? Because his next opponent is a favorite of mine, another striker, the man we used to call "Lil' Cro Cop" while he was fighting in Cage Rage (he even won the MW belt there!) and sherdoggers were making threads and highlights of his KO's, I'm of course talking about ZELG "BENKEI" GALESIC

Dude just looked like he was having so much fun in there, always smiling, his walkouts where always infectious when he'd look at the crowd bopping his head... I couldn't help but root for the Croatian, even if I still wanted Dong to get his win in Japan!
... WHICH HE DID VIA DONGBAR AGAIN!!!

His quest was over, his career wasn't, but he had persevered, never took an easy fight, and it had been a pleasure watching him compete in Sakuraba's QUINTET events in 2018... MMA is a flat circle, and to me, seems like Donbars are winning!

Great post. War Dongbar.

I guess I'm not aware of the difference between fixes and works.

I first started watching old pride so in a vacuum so I had no idea this stuff was happening for years.
I think of a “work” as pro wrestling. Designed not to be taken seriously.
A fixed fight is something that people bet on and the athletes try to sell as real.

To me, that looked like pro wrestling put on for the benefit of the Japanese audience.

Ngannou had a dream of being a combat sports athlete but had zero opportunities in his home country. Guy risked his life to leave Cameroon, started combat sports deep into his 20s and still managed to become champion.

The latest Zabit thread(where he talks about rage-quitting due to fight cancellations, health issues etc.) has inspired this one.

There have been guys out there who went through many years of disappointments. Losses, injuries, bad luck etc. And yet they still ended up making big money, even winning the world title.

Lawler-Thought he was done in SF when he was bearded and kept getting grapplefucked. Fast forward years later and he became an ATG WW champ.

Anderson-Huge start beating Sakurai the #1 WW in the world. Soon would go on to lose by sub to journeymen and nearly retired. Failed to become a doctor and then eventually became the MW GOAT.

Glover and Oliveira are recent examples. You should add more you can think of. These guys deserve a lot of respect.

yeah but none of the guys you mentioned had a potential career in medicine or dreams of becoming a doctor. Actually I would honor the guy who gave it all up to actually help people with their health.

images

Masvidal, really made the most of what he had. This peak of stardom came late in his career though. After so many years of backyard fighting, MMA all over the world at all levels being very inconsistent, he managed to get two title fights against the #1 P4P fighter in the world which he can live off of the rest of his life if he plays his cards right.

Reactions: HHJ
Brandon Moreno. Trained in Tijuana which was new to MMA back then. Was on TUF but lost 1st round fight against Pantoja. Later on gets cut by UFC but then beats the LFA champion and gets back in the UFC and becomes Champ!

images

Masvidal, really made the most of what he had. This peak of stardom came late in his career though. After so many years of backyard fighting, MMA all over the world at all levels being very inconsistent, he managed to get two title fights against the #1 P4P fighter in the world which he can live off of the rest of his life if he plays his cards right.
It’s the cool thing now to call Masvidal a bum. But, he's got the perfect nickname “Gamebred.” I can’t even imagine being 16 years old fighting roided up adults with Kimbo Slice telling you to get up and fight. Those early Kimbo street fights actually became real popular back in the day, don’t even know if YouTube was a thing back then.

Poirier has to be in the mix here. imho

Arlovski grew a chin after years and years of it failing him.

And Dana dreamed of the day he would have normal teeth.
Costa followed his dreams of having a good hairline again.

I see you message on here fairly often with such an old join date, kinda crazy you only have 3000 posts.

Dominic Cruz. I'm not a huge fan of the guy, but you have to respect that he came back from so many devastating injuries, multiple times, and is still fighting at a high level.

dominick-cruz-poses-for-a-portrait-after-his-victory-during-the-ufc-picture-id1358510348

Sean Sherk…

Legit retired from MMA because he wasn’t making enough money to feed his family…

Came back and won a title at 155…

Actually, it’s probably not a great example because he is probably broke again, but I hope he and his family are doing well.

I think MMA is filled with examples of this to be honest. Alot of fighters never gave up but still didnt make it as far as they would have liked. Its more likely a fighter will keep going,and the choice to retire is usually made against their will.

I think Bisping and Cruz are extreme examples. Those guys really hung on like grim death and achieved it all.

its so funny when people claim Bisping "avoided" top MW's after winning the title,as if the guy makes his own matches. His courage and resiliency is unquestionable.

Speaking of kicking eyes into space. Some might say he lacks heart in tough fights, but I doubt anybody in MMA history has had more ups and downs than this man.
tumblr_mgd0m6Gx511s2clq5o1_500.jpg
Ya his test levels are always up and down

Back