Movies THE FLASH (Biggest Flop in Warner Bros.' History; Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen THE FLASH, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Update: June 21, 2023

Kevin Smith, Writer for Scrapped SUPERMAN LIVES Film, Reacts to Finally Seeing His Vision in THE FLASH: “An Absolute Delight”

kevin-smith-nic-cage-superman-1477373752.jpg

Filmmaker Kevin Smith had a full circle moment when watching The Flash and seeing Nicolas Cage’s cameo as Superman.

During a recent interview with Rolling Stone, the director-producer-writer said he “just about passed out” when he first learned the actor was going to be making an appearance in the Andy Muschietti-directed film as the iconic superhero.

“I finally got to see Nic Cage be Superman,” Smith said. “It has been an absolute delight for me.”

It hits close for Smith because he initially penned several draft screenplays for the infamous 1998 film Superman Lives that never happened. Smith has been previously open about difficulties they faced with the film and production, including producer Jon Peters making several demands, such as Superman having to fight a giant spider. They two also disagreed on who should play the title role.

“Jon Peters was like, ‘I want Sean Penn to play Superman.’ He had just seen Dead Man Walking, and he goes, ‘Look at his eyes in that movie. He’s got the eyes of a violent animal, a caged killer,” he recalled. “And I was like, ‘Bro, it’s Superman!’ So he’s like, ‘Who do you see?’ I always loved Nic Cage, so I was like, ‘Nic Cage loves Superman. He talks about knowing the comics real well. You guys should go after Nic Cage.’ And so when Tim Burton got hired, and suddenly they were going with Nic Cage, I was like, wow, I had an idea and somebody took it seriously.”

Warner Bros. ended up calling off the movie just weeks before filming was set to begin due to creative differences. But fast-forward to 2023, Smith finally got to see the vision they once had come to life, when Cage appears during a scene in The Flash when Ezra Miller’s Barry Allen opens the multiverse to see the different universes. It’s at that point that Barry sees Cage as Superman fighting a giant spider.

After seeing that scene, Smith said it was “mind-melting,” adding, “One of the first things I thought when I saw it at the premiere is, ‘Goddammit, it [the giant spider] would have worked.’ As much as I used to make fun of Jon Peters, that looked badass.”

When asked if it can officially confirm he likes the spider now, Smith responded, “You know what? He [Peters] wasn’t wrong. Like, it totally could have panned out.”

The quick cameo also reminded the filmmaker of all the possibilities in the multiverse and that he’s still down to see Cage in the legendary supersuit.

“If I’m Warner Bros., I’m going, like, ‘Fuck it. There’s a multiverse, man. Let’s give Nic Cage a Superman movie,'” Smith added. “You don’t have to be the only Superman, but why not? We’ve got multiple Batmans. I mean, shit, it would be one of the most interesting Superman flicks ever made. With all due respect to James Gunn and Superman Legacy, like, you’re talking about one of the greatest American actors alive. I still would back that play 100 percent.”

Kevin Smith, Writer for Scrapped ‘Superman Lives’ Film, Reacts to Finally Seeing His Vision in ‘The Flash’: “An Absolute Delight”

Man I’m glad he survived that heart attack to see this

7/10 for me.

The movie actually has a lot of cool shit in it. Basically almost everything in the movie is awesome, EXCEPT Ezra Miller. He damn near ruined the movie for me. I got tired of seeing him act like an autistic gay teenager with adhd, an absolute total abomination of a Barry Allan character. It's like he watched every iteration of the Flash to date, from the show, to the animated movies, to the justice league cartoon, and thought to himself "how can I take this good character and just fuckin piss people off with an absolute garbage version?"

Well, he did it. Fuck that dude. I don't even care what stuff's been going on with him in real life, I don't know any of the details. I'm basing this purely on his performance in this movie, and if he didn't have everyone else there carrying him throughout the whole film, the movie would've felt more like torture than a fun ride.

That 7/10 might change after a few viewings too, after all the shock factor of all the reveals wears off. Problem is, I don't know if I wanna sit through Ezra Miller again.

I finally got around to seeing this and while it is probably the best DCU movie, it doesn't live up to all of the hype it got.
I absolutely hated Ezra Miller as Flash from the very beginning; but, I will give him his props here. I still don't like him as Flash, but he did a good job, and that says a lot considering I don't like his interpretation of the character. I preferred his younger version, and that would have been a lot more palatable in the other films.

For the bad...
I found the story to be pretty weak overall...it was about as flimsy as Multiverse of Madness..and the movie ending seemed fitting for the overall mess that the DCMU was.
The CGI was horrendous....and in some very unexpected parts. There were random shots where there wasn't anything even going on but they used CGI for some reason.

Keaton's Batman and Zod were largely wasted, imo. Keaton brings a lot of charisma to the movie, and I wish they had used him better---it just felt like he was there for fan service.
This long haired, hippie in flip flops and a dirty house just didn't really make a lot of sense to me for Batman/Bruce Wayne. Michael Shannon is a great actor and I wish they had given him more to do.

The multiverse CGI just looked bad. It looked like a video game.

Ezra has negative chemistry with probably any female he's in front of. The whole Iris plot/inclusion was a waste, because there was no chemistry, and no reason for her to be there at all. I don't even know why either of them liked one another beyond other characters telling us that he has had a crush on her for a while.

For the good...
Ezra can act, and did really good acting his older and younger self.
The fight scene with Batman and the Russians was short..but it was very enjoyable.
I liked Super Girl, and wouldn't of minded more of her.
Overall, nothing too special about this movie, but it was entertaining.

I'd give it a 7.

Cool Story, bro. I mean like, for real. No sarcasm. I've always imagined Kevin being amiable and giving off positive vibes in person.

Smith has a whole bunch of fun ideas. The possibility of Nic Cage playing the 1990s mullet Supes has well and truly passed at this juncture, but I could definitely see this one coming into play down the road, and I personally think it would be neat. I'd also be happy to see it for the Batfleck fans who lament that he never got a true solo feature.

Kevin Smith Thinks Ben Affleck May Return to Batman for The Dark Knight Returns in the Future

"Seeing Ben as Batfleck again was joyous – not only as Batfleck but as Bruce Wayne," Smith said during his podcast. "He said in a few interviews, he was like 'Look man, I just figured out how to play this character and that character and now it's all coming to an end. It's kind of bittersweet. But he got that bit at the apple before it was all done because he said many times he's never going to go back to Batman. You know, there's a multiverse so we'll see if that fucking happens. You know, I could see a world where ten years from now, after he's lived a bunch of other life and done other things..."

"I know Ben loves The Dark Knight Returns in a big bad way," Smith continued. "Like most of us do, but like... all through [filming] Chasing Amy he read that on the floor of my condo; he slept on the couch and shit. And he was always like 'Why can't somebody do this as a fucking movie?' And you know, when Zack [Snyder] did BvS, he got damn close: he got to wear the outfit [Bat-Armor] and shit, there were elements of Dark Knight Returns...

So I can't imagine if somebody backed up a money truck ten years from now, and said to a fucking nearly sixty-year-old Ben Affleck 'Do you want to do The Dark Knight Returns?' He might say 'Yeah,' and that would be glorious. But for right now he had to put the cowl away, and he seems to have had a good time doing it."

Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns has helped shape virtually every onscreen version of Batman that has come since its release in 1986. The story got a two-part animated adaptation in 2012, but an epic live-action movie (or two) has been on DC fans' list for decades. If it finally happens, Ben Affleck's Batman would be the fan-favorite pick, by far.

How to adapt The Dark Knight Returns to the screen.

Step One: gather the writers, director etc in one room. Give everyone a copy of TDKR.

Step Two: tell them not to change a Goddamn thing. Just use the graphic novel as a storyboard.

Step Three: put guns to their heads and tell them either a faithful adaption of TDKR or their brains will appear on the screen.

Step Four: release the movie and count the Billions as it shatters box office records.

Step One: gather the writers, director etc in one room. Give everyone a copy of TDKR.

Step Two: tell them not to change a Goddamn thing. Just use the graphic novel as a storyboard.

Step Three: put guns to their heads and tell them either a faithful adaption of TDKR or their brains will appear on the screen.

Step Four: release the movie and count the Billions as it shatters box office records.

1.5: Duplacates at each level

3.5: Execute the first one to baulk at the idea from each group

1.5: Duplacates at each level

3.5: Execute the first one to baulk at the idea from each group

Or... ya'll could watch this -

R.f063333a9ac61c993c6c85173992e90e

Shame this underperformed so much. Easily one of the best movies DC has produced.

African American Adam, Shazam 2, and now Flash. All bombed at the box office. What gives?

Set for a 70% drop at the box office , Morbius and Green Lantern esque

Set for a 70% drop at the box office , Morbius and Green Lantern esque
It's much worse because it's projected to drop 75% on its second weekend, making it the worst drop in modern superhero movies.

Elemental and Across the Spider-Verse are fighting for No. 1 for this weekend while The Flash might lose the No. 3 spot to Jennifer Lawrence's raunchy comedy No Hard Feelings.

It's much worse because it's projected to drop 75% on its second weekend, making it the worst drop in modern superhero movies.

Elemental and Across the Spider-Verse are fighting for No. 1 for this weekend while The Flash might lose the No. 3 spot to Jennifer Lawrence's raunchy comedy No Hard Feelings.
Good

Back