The Great Smartphone & Tablet Thread, v5: Death to the Headphone Jack

Marques was just on the Rogan podcast talking about what his favorite things are from both the Iphone and Android ecosystems.

One of my favorite tech reviewers is some guy named Flossy Carter - who really gives you an unfiltered and unbiased opinion without any fluff or being vague. If he doesn't like a feature, he straight up says it's wack, or not worth the money, etc.

None of this - these are the pros and cons of each - "you decide which is better" bullshit review.

I actually like his reviews a bit better than Marques (although not as high quality production.)

I know. I already listened to it. Posted on the previous page:
http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/146025011/
MKBHD is open-minded, but he doesn't retreat to a, "You decide which is better refuge." He makes it clear that he believes the Pixel 3 handsets are the best phones on the market. In the past the Samsung Galaxy Note series handsets have tended to take away his Phone of the Year award.

*Edit*
Nevertheless, I should point out that recently the iPhones began winning the GloMo award again.
https://www.gsma.com/newsroom/press-release/gsma-announces-winners-2018-glomo-awards/
Huawei has obviously also been getting a lot of praise and attention.

Apple introduced its brand new "all-screen" iPad Pro:

DSCF2080.jpg

Last edited:
I read the upcoming iPad is going with USB-C. Thanks a lot for the Lightning...

Also, no fingerprint sensor, but yes face recognition, which I won't use because I fear some website will somehow fetch that and I won't be able to anonymously look at naughty websites.

MKBHD is my go to for phone reviews.

I don’t mind Unboxing Therapy either.

So the new oneplus6t will be in shops here in germany in 5 days.580euro..i l wait a month then buy it
.i had a lg k10 for 3.5 half years now..cool phone but i am ready for a new one
Any other suggestions..600 euro is my budget;)

So the new oneplus6t will be in shops here in germany in 5 days.580euro..i l wait a month then buy it
.i had a lg k10 for 3.5 half years now..cool phone but i am ready for a new one
Any other suggestions..600 euro is my budget;)

The older Galaxy S9 Plus is in a similar price range and has a few things the 6T doesn't have - IP68 rating, a microSD slot, curved AMOLED screen, and a real telephoto camera. The screen resolution is also higher - 1080 x 2340 pixels vs. 1440 x 2960 pixels.

However, me personally - I really like One Plus' clean software that is super fast and smooth.

Thx for the fast input..i just dont fancy samsung...i know they are quality but i dont like them..call me a bigot;)
Never owned a oneplus so i am definately going with it..it looks just so damn sexy;)

This is why I mention the single core tests, specifically. Single core measurements are still by far the most useful for determining a CPU's objective capability to perform better if properly optimized in virtually all mainstream tasking. Nonetheless, the Huawei looks great in this (rather poorly done) side-by-side assuming no funny business:
Perhaps so. The most objective way to compare cameras would be to collect thousands of voters to participate in a blind test like that, and vote. That's as objective as you can get with many things that is more subjective by nature (ex. IMDb for movies). But I have never before seen a consensus in the reviewer community on camera performance like I have for the Pixel 3 low-light photography. Everyone swoons over it, and seems to agree it is miles beyond the rest. Huawei's saving grace would be third-party camera apps, but because camera apps are so ingrained into mobile operating systems, these days, that comes with a slew of problems, and even if you are a rooter who flashed another ROM with a superior camera app baked into its OS, that doesn't mean there is any support or optimization for your specific device with that "superior" app, and it ends up being just as poor. But, again, when it comes to cameras, generally speaking, it is more subjective, so I leave that to the buyer.
Have you seen the recent reviews for the 980? It does look very good apart from the gpu which has always been weak. And its interesting to note that there are no signs that Huawei has been cheating this time around.
At least one reviewer has run looped benchmarks and found no significant throttling or very high temps which the 970 had.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Huawei-Mate-20-Pro-Smartphone-Review.338680.0.html
The single core geekbench result puts the 980 11% behind the exynos 9810, 37% faster than the Snap 845. The multicore result for the 980 is faster than the 9810 and 845. So the Kirin is arguably not riding in the peloton like Mediatek except for the gpu. And even then if you look at the gfxbench scores it isn't completely awful.

Brownlee's picture comparison were mostly portrait shots and didn't really give the opportunity to show off some of P20s advantages in having multiple camera modules like the wide angle/zoom/night shots. Or some cropped pixel peeping shots to show off the better detail that a 40MP module can give.
The Mate20pro seems to have improved on the P20/pro and the pictures are quite good. Some of the improvements would probably filter back to the P20 series in OS updates.

I have an lg k20 plus

First phone ive owned since high school lmao

I thought our resident military guys who have thought about buying an iPad, but haven't yet pulled the trigger, might appreciate being alerted to this. Even if you don't want one it could make for a great gift. Give it to your girlfriend with the hopes she never re-gifts it:
https://slickdeals.net/f/12275188-m...wifi-200-ac-200-ipad-is-back?src=featured-cat

2018 9.7" iPad, 32GB, WiFi
7573981.attach

It's $329 for this unit at Best Buy and elsewhere, retail, but if you follow the instructions with the coupon code, and supply your military ID, you can score it for $200.

What's the NAME of the metal around the edge of the samsung note 8? Like the actual phone not the front or back glass? Can it be replaced?

I bought an iphone 8 when it came out. It's the same piece of crap as the 6. I am actually going to leave iphone being with them since the 3

My Note 9 just came in, no great difference from my s8 plus,but since I'm giving my s8+ to my mother I'll use this. I planned on waiting for the s10 plus but seeing how they're dropping the retina scanner I don't want it

20181119-123844.jpg

20181119-124309.jpg

20181119-170946.jpg

Switching from the iPhone X to the iPhone SE in a few days once it arrives. Getting on that nostalgia time!

Since my last tablet broke, I went to Best Buy and picked up an iPad Mini (128gb) for $250. Was nice getting it at $150 below price

Back