The Hook Debate: Palm in or Palm down? (17 threads mashed together, have fun)

I was taught palm down. Palm down is the natural way your arm is and when you turn your hand sideways the bones aren't straight or lined up or something so you are more likely to break your wrist punching. This is just what I was taught from my muay thai teacher.

Also, fall fashion.

i did not expect the union jack on there.

i DID expect him to be Australian before the vid started (but was sadly mistaken).

for the record, i originally started throwing it palm facing me...it just feels more ergonomic for me.

been messing around throwing it palm down and i can see about the knuckles all landing on the jaw.

probably will use both depending on range.

I've found that hand orientation, if that's what you'd call it, depends on range. On the inside, the palm-down hook seems to work better at sneaking behind the gloves. At longer ranges, and if you're "stirring the pot" to set-up for the right, the palm-facing hook works a bit better. It all depends. The Europeans have their own way of throwing it, also.

Palm down always felt like the "long way " also palm in feels more defensively responsible - I teach both and let the student decide what works for them

I thrown palm in for short hooks because it helps me keep the elbow tighter. I go palm down for longer hooks or when I need to come around the guard.

So, I've heard, and read arguments about this and I just wanted to ask your opinion guys. Freddie Roach prefers the lead left hook where the palm faces down on the ground. It also seems to offer more cover. The palm in (Where the palm is facing towards you) however, seems to generate more power. I try to practice both, but the palm in is, at least for me, more comfortable and significantly more powerful.

What's your thoughts about it guys? Do you throw hooks with your palms facing the ground, or do throw them with your palms facing towards you? What are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

Depends on the angle of my upper body. In tight, I prefer a palm down hook all day. Outside boxing, especially with my weight back, palm in.

Depends on distance and angle of target for me.

Palm in for up close.

Palm in at a distance is more likely to land on the fingers, whereas palm down at a distance is more likely to connect on the knuckles. I feel like I generate more power palm down but I'm more concerned with a solid and safer punch with a live target.

Depends on the angle of my upper body. In tight, I prefer a palm down hook all day. Outside boxing, especially with my weight back, palm in.

Interesting. It's very uncomfortable for me to throw palm down hooks in general, but when I do, I notice that (Might just be all in my head) they're a bit quicker than the palm ins.

Did you practice either hooks significantly more than the other or did one of them feel a bit awkward to throw than the other?

Interesting responses so far. Great points too.

I should note that I have practiced palm down far more than palm in. Pat Miletich prefers palm in which inspired me to start practicing with it more. Then I started training with an ex pro boxer who preferred in close fighting. He instructed me palm in. Then soon after, I started working on a larger heavy bag, which is when I noticed the difference. Anatomically, I don't feel there is a huge difference with which one is more powerful. The advantage palm in has is that you can go from traditional guard without having to rotate your fist.

I should note that I have practiced palm down far more than palm in. Pat Miletich prefers palm in which inspired me to start practicing with it more. Then I started training with an ex pro boxer who preferred in close fighting. He instructed me palm in. Then soon after, I started working on a larger heavy bag, which is when I noticed the difference. Anatomically, I don't feel there is a huge difference with which one is more powerful. The advantage palm in has is that you can go from traditional guard without having to rotate your fist.

Would you agree that landing a palm down hook is a bit more difficult than landing a palm in one with MMA gloves or bare-knuckles?

Depends almost totally on the height of the punch. If I'm throwing head shots I find palm down to be more comfortable at any range, but if I'm going to the body it feels awkward to throw with the palm down so I almost always have palm in. To be honest I use more shovel hooks than pure crosses, and those I always throw palm in (of course)

I prefer palm in (towards me), I like to throw check hooks a lot, I think it's easier to throw when countering, it just feels better.

I don't throw hooks - with palm facing down - so much, I suppose it's better if you want to target an area though - like the temple/face/chin.

Palm in for short hooks, palm down for long hooks.

Keeping it in when in close is really fast and makes it easier to not flare the elbow out too wide. Keeping it down on the outside ensures that you don't end up slapping and if thrown with a steering wheel kind of motion it just tends to land so much better.

I usually do palm down for head shots and palm in for body shots. It just feels right for me.

Back