The Jazz Thread

Brilliant. :)

Loved the part with the bass starting @ 6:58

He's one of my favourite bass players, he has played on the Out To Lunch album posted above which is a classic, and interestingly he is also playing on this:

Wow... That's some awesome stuff!

Thanks for posting this. :)

Glad you liked it. I never get sick of Zonk, it's such a great song.

They have a lot of variety in their music since they have so many band members. If you're looking for more in that same style than Psychoscout, LARF & Trap are the albums to check out.

John Zorn is another of my favourites, so much variety in his music.

Black Saint is my favorite Jazz album. I dig the classics but Kind of Blue and Black Saint are the only 'era' Jazz albums I listen to on the regs. I am however quite fond of Zorn's Masada in almost all its forms and I listen to them often.

I like most of John Zorn's stuff, electric masada is great.

Some of my favourite jazz songs from 60's Italian movies

This may be a wee bit too much jazz fusion or latin infused for the jazz purists but its definitely worth a listen.

Last edited:
This may be a wee bit too much jazz fusion or latin infused for the jazz purists but its definitely worth a listen.

Those guys sound like dickheads ;)

Good song though, I like it.

But in this thread we'll not worry about things being too much fusion or latin infused eh.

And I fucking love jazz fusion, though I dislike the term...

but as the man himself says, call it anything

Thelonious is god.

How about the legendary Dial recording of "Lover Man"?

"Confirmation" is such a fun tune.

Last edited:
For something a bit newer: Here's Larry Coryell doing a really nice job with Gershwin's standard "Love is Here to Stay."

Pat Metheny smoking his solo on "Have You Heard?"

Bireli Lagrene's take on "Isn't She Lovely?" is awesome. Probably his most viewed video on YT, for good reason. I think Bireli is arguably one of the best musicians whose main instrument is guitar in the world

"New Boots" by Frank Gambale should be considered a new standard. Also, jazziest sounding Ibanez S-series evah, am I right? Lol @ this fairly straightforward jazz tune being played on an Ibanez with shark tooth inalys. Love it. Bonus: Frank's performance of "New Boots" with Allan Holdsworth for the Mike Varney Project "Truth in Shredding" is worth checking out. Holdsworth tears it up.

How about this little gem? I don't think many people know about Flim & the BBs. Dad jazz. Shawn Lane did a nice cover of it, in a more rock vein.

For something a bit newer: Here's Larry Coryell doing a really nice job with Gershwin's standard "Love is Here to Stay."

Pat Metheny smoking his solo on "Have You Heard?"

Bireli Lagrene's take on "Isn't She Lovely?" is awesome. Probably his most viewed video on YT, for good reason. I think Bireli is arguably one of the best musicians whose main instrument is guitar in the world

"New Boots" by Frank Gambale should be considered a new standard. Also, jazziest sounding Ibanez S-series evah, am I right? Lol @ this fairly straightforward jazz tune being played on an Ibanez with shark tooth inalys. Love it. Bonus: Frank's performance of "New Boots" with Allan Holdsworth for the Mike Varney Project "Truth in Shredding" is worth checking out. Holdsworth tears it up.

How about this little gem? I don't think many people know about Flim & the BBs. Dad jazz. Shawn Lane did a nice cover of it, in a more rock vein.

Pat Metheny is amazing!Always an incredible guitarist...love this song m8!

Those guys sound like dickheads ;)

Good song though, I like it.

But in this thread we'll not worry about things being too much fusion or latin infused eh.

Your right pal complete dickheads.No need to classify jazz as anything but music really.Brilliant video you've posted with the bloke basically saying those that are "critics" aren't "doers".Which I took as either non-musicians or failed musicians.Also my friend I like your thoughts on this thread...no need to "classify" jazz as this or that let's just call it jazz music...cheers. Edit...Really enjoyed the Gilberto tune!

Call it anything.
And Stanley Crouch is a rigid, boxed in, no musical advancement appreciating idiot.

Immediately listen to Dolphy's "Out To Lunch" for jazz sexy.

I'f y'all haven't seen it, check out the video "Miles Electric: A Different Kind of Blue", about the 38 minute Newport performance in front of 600,000, most of whom were oblivious to the most advanced music presented during that festival.

Back