The Magical Jabs

He did, but he threw a standard jab, and not better than Ike. He is a picture of how to throw 3's and 4's though.

It was one of the fastest and most accurate jabs, and yes he was a model boxer, sticking that southpaw jab over and over till he saw a good opening.

The Art of using the up-jab efficiently is a lost one. I've never seen it done thumb up enough myself to really have any basis of comparison. The trip-hammer style jab is the only one I know of that's great when thrown thumb up because it makes it even more quick and surprising if you don't take the time to turn over the wrist and elbow, but can still be stiff. I'd love to see your coach using that technique though, because I'm sure he uses it well.

What do you mean that upjabs are a lost art? I'm curious from a purely historical perspective - are there a set of techniques employed by old school boxers that have fallen out of favor today?

this thread kicks ass, thanks bro

flicker jab's the best btw

Ike's jabs made me cum in my pants. So quick and powerful.

What do you mean that upjabs are a lost art? I'm curious from a purely historical perspective - are there a set of techniques employed by old school boxers that have fallen out of favor today?

The problem is that guys like Zab Judah who have the better up-jabs of today are lazy with it. Floyd was the last great up-jabber, and he was pretty much alone in utilizing it for 12 rounds. I can't think of another guy off the top of my head who did, maybe James Toney, but as he got fatter and fatter he favored the smashing over-hand right he was capable of. Maybe Chad Dawson.

The 80's-90's, there were a lot of good Philly Shell users like McGirt who relied on it. Roy Jones was still in his prime and used it occasionally, and my trainer McCallum used it when he dropped his lead-hand low as well, Thulani Malinga used it a lot, and so did Chris Eubank (also had an excellent power-jab). But ask me who is around right this second that has a good one? Short of Paul Malignaggi I'd have to do some serious thinking.

didn't larry holmes have a jab that was specificaly designed to cut?

That one's about what part of the glove lands. Any jab can do that if you can hit with the edges of the glove on skin surfaces. It spoke more towards Larry's accuracy than anything else.

Is an up jab similar to what Hearns used when he kept his lead hand low?

This thread should be sticky. Such a Sinister thread this is!

What about the jab to the body?

were there any fighters known for them.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. used it especially against taller fighters. i remember him using it against Genaro Hernandez and Chico Corrales. He was very quick at it and it looks at lot easier than it really is.

Finally had a chance to watch the vids.
I think the one I use is the trip hammer jab but I should prolly post a vid to confirm. I didn`t really have a coach teaching me. I picked it up from looking at a guy who used something like that at my gym.
Whatever it is it`s very fast and I seem to be able to land it quite alot while keeping out of the way of counters. Only problem I have is it`s very rangy and I find myself either too far or too off balance to follow up with rights or kicks. Trinidad himself seems to have to step in after the jab to throw combinations. Or am I just talking out of my ass?

That was fucking great. I had no idea there were so many ways to throw a jab, you know, maybe 2 or 3 and the rest were just bad or lazy ones, and I never would have guessed they had names and shit.

Hey Mr Sinister, if ever you think of doing another informative thread on different styles of fighting, might I suggest the different types of defence stances? You know, like the how Mayweater blocs punches and that weird defense George Foreman did. Very interesting.

Sure, I could probably arrange that. Styles go WAY back. People saw Whitaker in his Prime and for some reason thought he invented the style that became known as "the crouching crab." Hell no. Tommy Ryan invented that and taught it to Jim Jeffries. Now go wiki those two names.

Dude thank you so much for posting this. Improving my jab has been my #1 priority for like the past three months and it's hard for me to find good material (I didn't grow up as a boxing fan and don't really know my boxing history).

I will be absorbing all this shit!!!

Back