Nintendo The METROIDVANIA Thread

In theory I should love Metroidvanias. I play the hell out of every Metroid game. I love Castlevania games-- I, II, III and IV.

But I tried Hollow Knight. Just don't like it.
Tried Bloodstained. Couldn't get into it.
Tried Blasphemous. Same deal.

For a while I was into Dead Cells but after difficulty level 2 I believe it just lost its charm. Am I the problem?
Sorry to bump an old post but I was pondering this myself. SOTN and super Metroid are two of my favourite games of all time. In theory I should love Metroidvanias as well. The problem i seem to have with them is the difficulty. Most of the somewhat current metroidvanias are extremely difficult for me. I don’t game nearly as much as I used to so I’m not exactly a skilled gamer but some of these games are so difficult that I just give up. Hollow knight is a lovey game. It looks and sounds amazing. The playability was great too but after a while I just couldn’t handle the difficulty. And as one famous tv dad so eloquently said “if something’s hard to do then it’s not worth doing..” lol.

Sorry to bump an old post but I was pondering this myself. SOTN and super Metroid are two of my favourite games of all time. In theory I should love Metroidvanias as well. The problem i seem to have with them is the difficulty. Most of the somewhat current metroidvanias are extremely difficult for me. I don’t game nearly as much as I used to so I’m not exactly a skilled gamer but some of these games are so difficult that I just give up. Hollow knight is a lovey game. It looks and sounds amazing. The playability was great too but after a while I just couldn’t handle the difficulty. And as one famous tv dad so eloquently said “if something’s hard to do then it’s not worth doing..” lol.
For me it's not necessarily the difficulty, but the atmosphere/setting/music/feel. I hate to cite such a nearly intangible set of elements but part of the reason why Super Metroid always struck a chord with me was the fact that you truly felt alone with a gigantic world to explore. I tried Hollow Knight and everything was just the same. Everything looked the same, felt the same, and the abilities didn't really feel interesting, they seemed to have been put in as "keys" to unlock doors. It just didn't compel me to keep going. Maybe I'm just old.

I felt like Dead Cells was a bit of a cut above most. I was able to get into it for about 2-3 difficulty levels. But whenever I play something all it does is make me want to play Prime, Prime 2 or Super.

For me it's not necessarily the difficulty, but the atmosphere/setting/music/feel. I hate to cite such a nearly intangible set of elements but part of the reason why Super Metroid always struck a chord with me was the fact that you truly felt alone with a gigantic world to explore. I tried Hollow Knight and everything was just the same. Everything looked the same, felt the same, and the abilities didn't really feel interesting, they seemed to have been put in as "keys" to unlock doors. It just didn't compel me to keep going. Maybe I'm just old.

I felt like Dead Cells was a bit of a cut above most. I was able to get into it for about 2-3 difficulty levels. But whenever I play something all it does is make me want to play Prime, Prime 2 or Super.
Did you try axiom verge? It’s VERY similar to Metroid. Also was one of a few I didn’t struggle with.

No one mentions Gato Roboto. It's not for everyone but it's a short and fairly easy Metroidvania that I enjoyed. The black and white/Game Boy aesthetic will turn people off but I think the controls are good.

I just finished Carrion recently as well and it's a lite Metroidvania but fantastic. Really awesome atmosphere and one of the few games I went out of my way to get all of the achievements. I'm probably starting Blaster Master Zero 3 next. The first two were excellent and I'm sure this will be no different.

I do recommend Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. I thought it reminded me a lot of SOTN (just not as good).

I also recommend Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night if you want another Symphony of the Night. It's pretty much a sequel. It does get difficult later on but like Symphony, you can grind and level up as much as needed. For more Metroid style, go Axiom Verge. I didn't find that one all that difficult but it's fun.

I also recommend Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night if you want another Symphony of the Night. It's pretty much a sequel. It does get difficult later on but like Symphony, you can grind and level up as much as needed. For more Metroid style, go Axiom Verge. I didn't find that one all that difficult but it's fun.

I have this downloaded but haven't jumped in yet. It looks really fun. Need to close out Aeterna Noctis before starting any new ones. Plus, I still have some DLC that needs completing in a few others.

SOTN is my fav game but i was SO dissapointed by Bloodstained.

Dead Cells is way better and Blasphemous also has that vibe.

SOTN is my fav game but i was SO dissapointed by Bloodstained.

Dead Cells is way better and Blasphemous also has that vibe.

I guess I'm going to have to try Dead Cells again but it didn't feel at all like a Metroidvania game to me. The control was tight but I didn't like the weapons/inventory system or stage design. Playing the same thing over and over to get further just didn't seem appealing at all to me.

I guess I'm going to have to try Dead Cells again but it didn't feel at all like a Metroidvania game to me. The control was tight but I didn't like the weapons/inventory system or stage design. Playing the same thing over and over to get further just didn't seem appealing at all to me.
I didnt like it at first but i got hooked. Its fast and smooth,like SOTN. Bloodstained is slow,with some corny anime chick hitting squids.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Well, Radiance is responsible for the first dual sense controller getting smashed in my household. Too many times I felt it made me dodge in the wrong direction due to drift. Wife wanted a purple one anyhow. Also the battery life on launch day controllers is absolutely pitiful.

Has anyone tried Sundered? Apparently it's super challenging

m I the problem?
YES!

lets update with new games like this

crack-crackhead.gif

She has 49 games to get through so no.

EDIT:

Hope you appreciate this LTG..

S Tier: Blasphemous, Castlevania SoTN, Hollow Knight
A Tier: Batman Arkham Asylum, Bloodstained RoTN, Ender Lilies QotK, Ori and the WotW, Super Metroid, Touhou Luna Nights
B Tier: Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, Headlander, Finding Teddy 2, La-Mulana 2, Monsterboy and the Cursed Kingdom, Monster Sanctuary, The Mummy Demastered, Ori and the Blind Forest, Shadow Complex, Sheepo, Song of the Deep, Steamworld Dig, Steamword Dig 2, Strider, Timespinner
C Tier: Axiom Verge 2, Blaster Master, Carrion, Control, Indvisible, Inmost, Journey to the Savage Planet, La-Mulana, Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order, Supraland, Wonderboy in Monster World
D Tier: The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human, Dust An Elysian Tail, Ghost 1.0, Iconoclasts, The Messenger, Micetopia, Owlboy, A Robot named Fight!, Songbird Symphony, Teslagrad
F Tier: Cave Story+, Dead Cells (she said cause it's "not a Metroidvania" but a Roguelite otherwise it's A), Unepic
God's work. This is excellent! But Dead Cells is A to S tier of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back