The mishandling of Kell Brook

He fought 30 guys and never got his face broken. Then he fought the biggest puncher 2 full divisions above him. Its not rocket science buddy, he would've been fine if he didn't fight GGG.

The Khan fight alone could conceivably net him more than $5M. With the right moves he could've carved out that niche,..we'll never know now. We're arguing about a counter factual though, so its a pointless and subjective argument. I think his team was negligent.
Yeah, Eddie Hearn fighters are always doing bad live gates.

Remember that time George Geoces sold out Wembley. Lulz.

He fought 30 guys and never got his face broken. Then he fought the biggest puncher 2 full divisions above him. Its not rocket science buddy, he would've been fine if he didn't fight GGG.

The Khan fight alone could conceivably net him more than $5M. With the right moves he could've carved out that niche,..we'll never know now. We're arguing about a counter factual though, so its a pointless and subjective argument. I think his team was negligent.

Khan was his one HUGE fight at his weight and Khan said publicly many times that he would not fight Brook. He said right before he went up to fight Canelo that he would NEVER fight Brook. So trying to imagine what that purse could have been is a land of pure imagination. Khan would have been knocked out early by Brook and he knows it so he decided to take the same knockout from Canelo for way more money and no effect at all on his welterweight ranking.

Margarito had his face broken and career destroyed when he went DOWN in weight to fight Pacman. Shit happens. You can't draw direct correlations between every injury in boxing.

Measured against all the lost wages as a result of the shortened career due to that fight, yes, its gross negligence. Talk about penny wise and pound foolish. Brook's career might effectively be over, and it all traces back to the GGG fight.
You say that but GGG broke one orbital, Spence broke the other. How can you say the second orbital injury is linked to the GGG fight? Could it not be true that Brook always had fragile orbital bones that gave in when he fought the two biggest punchers he's ever faced? You're making a big assumption that GGG is responsible for two separate injuries.

Khan vs brook is the fight for both

Lose probably should call it quits especially if it is by stoppage

Both are really backed into a corner here

You could look at it that Brook has cashed out twice already, with a Khan fight in Sheffield a guaranteed fat number three.

A pretty good (monetary) outcome given he was always going to lose to Spence, and is untested at higher weights (GGG mauling aside). And he was a World champion and got his fight at the Sheffield football stadium. He lost that one, but my money is on him starching Khan when he fights there again.

The injuries he can live with - he's a hard man.

I think the idea to get Spence relatively early in his career wasn't bad. Brook had a bit more experience at that point that could translate to success in the ring against a less experienced opponent. Turns out it wasn't enough. But Brook wasn't going to fair better the more experienced Spence got (and would probably see his cut shrink as well).

I'm not sure it was mismanagement, just a gamble that didn't pay off. Once Brook moved up to 160, I think that was kind of the end of his ability to be competitive (well, that and getting stabbed twice). The only thing I think that could've been done better is taking a Khan fight before Spence. But it's hard to put all the blame on Brooks management for that. Amir seems to have this problem from time to time; I still wish we'd seen Bradley/Khan at LWW.

A really unfortunate situation for a guy who could be an overachiever.

You say that but GGG broke one orbital, Spence broke the other. How can you say the second orbital injury is linked to the GGG fight? Could it not be true that Brook always had fragile orbital bones that gave in when he fought the two biggest punchers he's ever faced? You're making a big assumption that GGG is responsible for two separate injuries.

I'd say the fact that doctors told him he almost went blind probably didn't put him in the right mindset for the Spence fight, you could argue that had GGG not broken one orbital bone Spence wouldn't have broken the other. Its all speculation, but i think thats probably the case. He wasn't the same fighter after GGG, losing to Spence was a second order effect from the GGG fight in my opinion. So it does all trace back to GGG, i think. I'm putting all these qualifiers in because none of this is provable, we're talking about counter factuals.

I'd say the fact that doctors told him he almost went blind probably didn't put him in the right mindset for the Spence fight, you could argue that had GGG not broken one orbital bone Spence wouldn't have broken the other. Its all speculation, but i think thats probably the case. He wasn't the same fighter after GGG, losing to Spence was a second order effect from the GGG fight in my opinion. So it does all trace back to GGG, i think. I'm putting all these qualifiers in because none of this is provable, we're talking about counter factuals.
Yeah as you say it's all speculation. But I'm playing devils advocate a bit because as soon as the injury occurred against Spence I put it down to the GGG beating BUT I had to remind myself it's just an assumption. He could well just have naturally weak orbitals that just so happened to be tested against two of the hardest hitting opponents he's ever faced.

Can you guys clear something up for me. Is it the emotional aspect of taking the two losses, or is it a physical thing. What causes him to be shot after just two fights?

Can you guys clear something up for me. Is it the emotional aspect of taking the two losses, or is it a physical thing. What causes him to be shot after just two fights?

Neither. He's not shot. His face just broke.

Anyone know how much Brook got for the Golovkin fight?

could be both psychological and physical. some world class champions are essentialy done after one ko loss like vivian harris

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php?title=Fight:939585

many favored 26-year-old vivian to beat kt; harris even stepped into the ring with manny steward after tsyzus win over sharmba

I just rewatched the Spence fight. Goddamn can Spence fight. He beat the shit out of Brook. The way he took away the tie up with body work, he honestly seems like the fiercest fighter I can remember in recent memory. I think retirement is necessary for Brook because how badly he was just outclassed in his own division and the weight of 2 eye injuries in a row. The reward seems impossible again, and the risk is too much.

Just read that Brook got 3.5 million pounds (euros whatever) for the Golovkin fight. I'd like to be mishandled like that. Fighters fight their entire career chasing paydays like that.

People are wilfully ignoring that he got shanked in his leg severing two quad muscles that needed surgically repairing. 12 inch wound in his leg needed to be stapled back together numbness in his leg and a ton of physiotherapy required for his comeback, once he'd lost his balance he then broke both eye sockets. Walk away slowly.

to his fairness there's no shame in fighting the best of the best and losing, it would be great if other fighters did this, then we would have more classics, but in this day and age it's all about protecting their "0", taking safe fights and having that perfect record. did duran have a perfect record, did hearns?

why the fuck is mikey garcia not fighting crawford? why did it take 3 years to make ggg and alvarez? these are the right sort of fights to make, nothing but respect for my kell brook

to his fairness there's no shame in fighting the best of the best and losing, it would be great if other fighters did this, then we would have more classics, but in this day and age it's all about protecting their "0", taking safe fights and having that perfect record. did duran have a perfect record, did hearns?

why the fuck is mikey garcia not fighting crawford? why did it take 3 years to make ggg and alvarez? these are the right sort of fights to make, nothing but respect for my kell brook
Your kell brook?

GGG and Canelo is happening at the perfect time imo

You are right about garcia and crawford. I dont know whats going on there

The fact that Mikey Garcia dumped Top Rank will make it tough to make fights with Top Rank fighters.

Back