The Mist - New adaptation on Spike (UPDATE: Show is canceled)

Watched the first two episodes of The Mist. I'm tapping out. Found it to be too dragging. The main characters are annoying. The male lead is miscast. He was great as a villain in Person of Interest and Allegiance. The Mist fits better as a two-hour movie and the show is just stretching it, filling it with dull moments to kill time.

It seems to be a show that has a certain something for some people--like myself and a friend of mine that I've turned on to it--that it it doesn't have for other people. I can't even really explain it, except that it seems to be a quality of the writing.

Either you're curious enough to stick around to see where it all goes or you're not.

Seems like some kindhearted person captured the "good" parts from Ep5 in HD. Alyssa looks so good from the side.

Show is garbage as expected. It's sad because the concept is neat, but the writing is a train-wreck.

i'm really not liking the direction they are taking The Mist itself.

And the doctor part from the last episode was just absurd. So I am to believe a normal functioning ER doctor just all the sudden becomes a psycho who is going to sacrifice people to the mist as some kind of experiment?

The human drama of it is just not appealing to me at all and the Mist is so far garbage.
The monsters in the movie were just infinitely more terrifying and led me to believe a society breakdown wouls occur.

So last episode had horrible CGI 4 Horseman of the Apocalypse, psych patient who is pretending to be the doctor and dumpy old lady ass.

I don't know if I'm gonna be able to finish out this season. The horseman legit looked worse than an Xbox 360 cutscene...

So last episode had horrible CGI 4 Horseman of the Apocalypse, psych patient who is pretending to be the doctor and dumpy old lady ass.

I don't know if I'm gonna be able to finish out this season. The horseman legit looked worse than an Xbox 360 cutscene...

It looked awful but I thought it was pretty awesome they did the 4 horsemen for him.

I agree on not really feeling the judgement personal demons mist(aside from the idea of the 4 horsemen for the priest). Definitely not not the terrifying creatures that strikes constant fear and chaos.

I might finish the 2-3 episodes left. I want to like it because it could be an awesome show but it's disappointing.

I can't stand the way people are communicating with each other in the show. It seems so ridiculous. The one lady at the mall calling the raped daughter a liar(making a huge deal about it). Like it's a big deal that she didn't fight the creature vs it chose to leave her alone. Just major melodramatic over reactions to everything by everyone. Also as you stated the ridiculous characters.

This looks great can't wait to see this. I really liked the movie. Ending is easily one of the most fucked up endings in a movie ever.

Whenever my friends and family are watching a movie and see a fucked up ending, we always say... ehh, remember on the mist when right at the end the ............... The Mist is one of my top 10 movies ever. I read the book before it came out too and the book is also good. For those of you that don't know, a book is a tomb of paper that people inscribe writing on in the ancient 20th century.

All right, got caught up on this last night.

Two things that really stand out to me:

1. It seems like they're clearly trying to say the emo bisexual kid raped the girl. So is that legit or is it misdirection?

2. When the four horsemen show up, how are we supposed to interpret that? Was it just biblical figures that showed up because he was a priest and the Mist was responding to him as an individual, or was this an indication that he was right all along--that the Mist is a form of judgment--and the people left in the church are going to falsely interpret it as the old woman being proven correct?

It looked awful but I thought it was pretty awesome they did the 4 horsemen for him.

I agree on not really feeling the judgement personal demons mist(aside from the idea of the 4 horsemen for the priest). Definitely not not the terrifying creatures that strikes constant fear and chaos.

I might finish the 2-3 episodes left. I want to like it because it could be an awesome show but it's disappointing.

I can't stand the way people are communicating with each other in the show. It seems so ridiculous. The one lady at the mall calling the raped daughter a liar(making a huge deal about it). Like it's a big deal that she didn't fight the creature vs it chose to leave her alone. Just major melodramatic over reactions to everything by everyone. Also as you stated the ridiculous characters.

Man, y'all need to either start finding some things you like about the show or hop off the train because this hate-watching strategy you two are employing is killing my buzz.

Man, y'all need to either start finding some things you like about the show or hop off the train because this hate-watching strategy you two are employing is killing my buzz.

latest

All right, got caught up on this last night.

Two things that really stand out to me:

1. It seems like they're clearly trying to say the emo bisexual kid raped the girl. So is that legit or is it misdirection?

2. When the four horsemen show up, how are we supposed to interpret that? Was it just biblical figures that showed up because he was a priest and the Mist was responding to him as an individual, or was this an indication that he was right all along--that the Mist is a form of judgment--and the people left in the church are going to falsely interpret it as the old woman being proven correct?

1. Same feeling I've been getting since the rape episode. A lot of rape is supposedly about power and control, so I guess it could be the football player still. Get away with it, win her back over and have influence over her(like he appears to have now). But I'm thinking it's the emo.

2. Both. It judges by the individual but not in a biblical way imo, pretty much everything has been different for each person and nothing other than the 4 horsemen has been biblical.

That father seriously needs to turn in his man card already. Dude gets bitch made in every single confrontation he's been put in from what I've seen of this show (not to mention he just sounded like he was two seconds from boning emo gay kid before that dumb plot twist).

1. Same feeling I've been getting since the rape episode. A lot of rape is supposedly about power and control, so I guess it could be the football player still. Get away with it, win her back over and have influence over her(like he appears to have now). But I'm thinking it's the emo.

Well this question gets answered in ep 8, which I thought was a really good episode.

I think I'm actually liking the show more and more as it goes, and I feel like it's getting progressively better. At this point, I'm actually feeling it's pretty rad.

2. Both. It judges by the individual but not in a biblical way imo, pretty much everything has been different for each person and nothing other than the 4 horsemen has been biblical.

Yeah, what is the TRUE SOURCE of the mist? That is the central mystery here. I still think it could end up being biblical, and we could basically see it play out along the lines of: The old woman is a false prophet, but still brings many under her sway. The priest was killed because he was a legitimate teller of truth and for that reason the mist needed to get rid of him.

(not to mention he just sounded like he was two seconds from boning emo gay kid before that dumb plot twist).

You thought it was dumb? I actually thought it was very effective. I didn't even strongly consider that he might be the rapist until last episode, when it was strongly hinted at.

I also think it's interesting, from a real-life social perspective, that the writers made the emo kid a villain. A lot of people were complaining about his character ("Of course Hollywood had to put a gay emo kid in here!" etc), so it surprises me that instead of keeping him in some kind of victim role, they actually make him the victimizer.

Last edited by a moderator:
You thought it as dumb? I actually thought it was very effective. I didn't even strongly consider that he might be the rapist until last episode, when it was strongly hinted at.

I also think it's interesting, from a real-life social perspective, that the writers made the emo kid a villain. A lot of people were complaining about his character ("Of course Hollywood had to put a gay emo kid in here!" etc), so it surprises me that instead of keeping him in some kind of victim role, they actually make him the victimizer.

I agree that this last episode was probably the best yet.

I honestly thought the emo was since the second episode(I think). When he was in the police station he looked beyond guilty/nervous imo + the way Jay acted in the car, seemed sincere that he didn't and was appalled that his dad would think so.

If it was biblical it isn't really following revelations but the 5th seal of the Apocalypse does take martyrs (so that they don't endure the worst suffering of the final 2) so the priest being taken could be that. But the previous 4 haven't really come yet. I'm not leaning towards biblical.

Did you watch the movie or read the book. I saw the movie and they kind of have an answer of what it is.

I agree that this last episode was probably the best yet.

I honestly thought the emo was since the second episode(I think). When he was in the police station he looked beyond guilty/nervous imo + the way Jay acted in the car, seemed sincere that he didn't and was appalled that his dad would think so.

If it was biblical it isn't really following revelations but the 5th seal of the Apocalypse does take martyrs (so that they don't endure the worst suffering of the final 2) so the priest being taken could be that. But the previous 4 haven't really come yet. I'm not leaning towards biblical.

Did you watch the movie or read the book. I saw the movie and they kind of have an answer of what it is.

Well bear in mind that when I say that I didn't strongly consider it was the emo kid (Adrian), that doesn't mean I thought it was Jay. I felt like maybe Adrian saw someone else do it and then decided to say it was Jay, for a reason that would become clear later in the show. But for whatever reason, I didn't really consider that Adrian would be the actual rapist. Maybe I just didn't think the kid had it in him.

Regarding the story following Revelation, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on that. Hollywood tends to take biblical stories and ideas and put their own spin on them all the time. Just look at a show like Sleepy Hollow on FOX. So it could still be biblical, but the writers have chosen to take the basic ideas and then do their own thing with them. But who knows. It's a mystery for now.

And no, I never did read the book or watch the movie. I actually have the movie downloaded but I have intentionally not watched it because I don't want to run up against any story spoilers for the show.

I wonder when we're going to get a renewal announcement. I'm assuming we're going to get an S2, but Spike has not actually renewed the show yet.

Well bear in mind that when I say that I didn't strongly consider it was the emo kid (Adrian), that doesn't mean I thought it was Jay. I felt like maybe Adrian saw someone else do it and then decided to say it was Jay, for a reason that would become clear later in the show. But for whatever reason, I didn't really consider that Adrian would be the actual rapist. Maybe I just didn't think the kid had it in him.

Regarding the story following Revelation, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on that. Hollywood tends to take biblical stories and ideas and put their own spin on them all the time. Just look at a show like Sleepy Hollow on FOX. So it could still be biblical, but the writers have chosen to take the basic ideas and then do their own thing with them. But who knows. It's a mystery for now.

And no, I never did read the book or watch the movie. I actually have the movie downloaded but I have intentionally not watched it because I don't want to run up against any story spoilers for the show.

Very true on both points^, but I was leaning towards Adrian. There were many subtle hints imo as well imo. The previous episode had the strongest hint.

The show and movie are miles apart imo. The biggest difference being the mist. A couple similarities in characters. I didn't read the book so the movie may not even be close and the show might be better representation.

The only spoiler would be where the mist came from. But the show might be taking a different route.

Very true on both points^, but I was leaning towards Adrian. There were many subtle hints imo as well imo. The previous episode had the strongest hint.

The show and movie are miles apart imo. The biggest difference being the mist. A couple similarities in characters. I didn't read the book so the movie may not even be close and the show might be better representation.

The only spoiler would be where the mist came from. But the show might be taking a different route.

Interesting. After this season is over, I may watch the movie. I would just hate to have something that comes later in the show spoiled for me, but obviously there are going to be big differences between a two-hour movie and a (potentially) multi-season show.

Are the ratings strong? That'd be a good indicator.

Apparently Spike sent out a press release after the premiere that said this:

Spike TV's first scripted dramatic series in over a decade, "The Mist," has gotten off to a promising start.

Premiering on Thursday, June 22 at 10pm ET/PT, "The Mist" delivered significant increases in Adults 18-49 (+98%) and total viewers (+137%) in its timeslot compared to the previous 4-week average.

The solid numbers are encouraging as the network rebrands to Paramount Network in January with an emphasis on premium scripted programming.

Overall, "The Mist" drew 1.3 million viewers with 0.6 Adults 18-49.

So the question really is what are considered strong ratings for Spike. We should probably remember that, at this point at least, Spike is little more than the network that hosts Bellator, shows seemingly endless Cops reruns, airs the occasional older movie (looks like today they're showing Jurassic Park 1-3 over and over).

So what would be weak ratings on another network, Spike might consider a success.

In any case, we can probably assume that, considering the fairly negative reception the show has gotten, at least some of those viewers who watched the premiere dropped off. So I guess the question is whether or not the remaining viewship is enough for Viacom to pull the trigger on a season 2.

On topic, I just found this interesting article:

https://moviepilot.com/p/christian-torpe-interview-the-mist-season-2/4330331

Back