The MMA ruleset that the UFC uses is strongly biased towards wrestling and BJJ. Dana needs to change it. Here's why. (1000 post special)

I've been saying it for years. Legalize knees, stomps and kicks to a downed opponent..

8d35be.gif

LOL could you imagine what Khabib would have done to people if 4 pont knees were allowed? That shit would favor him,the wrestler, more than it would his weak ass, dont know how to grapple,opponents.

Snapdown,knees,KO

oh shit Khabib shoots for a leg,let me just sprawl and---Damn! im already on the ground!

TS clearly was not around in the days where this shit was allowed and damn near got the sport removed in the US.

Love em or hate em the rules that stopped most of that are a large part of why we still get to enjoy this sport on a regular basis.

Not saying it's right, now saying it's wrong, but iiwii.

Lol good wrestlers will be even more dangerous with this rule. You realize they can knee you too right.

That being said, I do want the soccer kicks and knees to come back. I want the most brutal fighting sport ever.
Yea, I never understood that argument either.

Grapplers can't punch much on the ground without their opponent getting up now, and when its on the ground nothing counts if they can't land anything. You can't stall in MMA anymore unless there is no strikes thrown and you controlled the entire round. If the striker gets a few punches in before it they win based off damage. It is what it is.

Maybe they should try timers like a shot clock in the NBA?
1. Takedown attempt, if no takedown is executed whether against the cage or not, once time is expired they stand them up again.
2. In guard, significant strikes must be landed or an advance in position must be made. However I think this shot clock should be longer than the takedown shot clock simply because it can take more work to advance from guard.
I'd love to see this tried somewhere.
Then again, the other argument is to not even have rounds timed just let them fight until someone wins. This will never happen in the UFC though because of commercials.

There are some organizations where there's a time limit to being on the ground, but IIRC fights there are not considered eligible for the purposes of compiling an MMA record at Tapology or Sherdog...

Nothing new, another dumb thread in Sherdog.

People would be better off if they accepted this is the sport of fighting and not a street fight.

I'm sick......................

Sick of the arbitrary rules.... sick of the wall 'n' stall..... sick of the lay 'n' pray..... sick of the bias within the Unified Rules of MMA.

Let me preface this thread by making it clear that I am not just another hater of 'rasslin and BJJ. I enjoy all fighting styles and I acknowledge the 'mixed' in mixed martial arts. I'm not even keen on stand 'n' bang fights, I think they're boring. However, that won't stop me from pointing out the bias 'n' bullshit within the Unified Rules of MMA. I think it's dumb, and the UFC needs to make some changes. Here's why.

Street fighting is the purest form of fighting. In street fights there are no silly arbitrary rules like 'you cannot stomp a grounded opponent'. Just three rules: No eye gouges, no biting and no nutshots. Plain 'n' simple. Perfecto.

It makes no sense.... Dana hates lay 'n' pray fighters, so why doesn't he change the ruleset that actively promotes this exact fighting style? No kneeing grounded opponents, no stomps, no soccer kicks... all of these silly arbitrary rules means strikers can't defend themselves. When I saw Connor knee McGregor Khabib on the floor, I was annoyed... not at Connor but at the bullshit rules... Connor just did what was natural. Why can you knee a standing opponent but not a grounded opponent? Smells like horse shit to me.

I'm calling for these 'grounded opponent' rules to be removed. The more restrictions in place, the less pure the fighting is. There will be so much more creativity and activity in fights if fighters were free to defend themselves.

If the UFC can't do anything about it then I have a suggestion in place... And it involves oil and speedos.

If fighters were all oiled up and dressed in tight speedos, it would be far more difficult for fighters to wall 'n' stall and lay 'n' pray. They will still be protected on the ground but they will no longer be as effective in holding their opponents down. I think this is a great compromise. Maybe even introduce chocolate spread that the opponent can 'consume' to introduce some creativity.
Who told you that these are the 3 rules of Street fighting???

I don't see the bias whatsoever. The fact that the phrase 'every round starts on the feet' even exists, and gets repeated almost every event shows the exact opposite. In what street fight do you have your opponent pulled off you and get a minute to recover, before he has to take you down all over again?

Stop whining about the knees to a downed opponent, it's getting ridiculous. People are acting like everyone would be smashing all the grapplers if not for that one rule, it's nonsense.

So, Dana doesn't control the unified rules of MMA. The Nevada State Athletic Commission was the first one to legalize MMA in North America, and because they also control boxing they are the defacto authority for MMA rules in north america. There are some other states that adopt variations, such as what defines a "downed" fighter, but largely the NSAC controls major rule changes.

However, Dana has tried to influence judging of MMA to stop scoring control so highly. This has largely been successful. Look at Ankalaev versus Blachowicz -- the fight was a draw, but technically Ankalaev could have been determined the winner if control counted for more. This is the new scoring criteria working correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: HHJ

Sick of the arbitrary rules.... sick of the wall 'n' stall..... sick of the lay 'n' pray..... sick of the bias within the Unified Rules of MMA.

Let me preface this thread by making it clear that I am not just another hater of 'rasslin and BJJ. I enjoy all fighting styles and I acknowledge the 'mixed' in mixed martial arts. I'm not even keen on stand 'n' bang fights, I think they're boring. However, that won't stop me from pointing out the bias 'n' bullshit within the Unified Rules of MMA. I think it's dumb, and the UFC needs to make some changes. Here's why.

Street fighting is the purest form of fighting. In street fights there are no silly arbitrary rules like 'you cannot stomp a grounded opponent'. Just three rules: No eye gouges, no biting and no nutshots. Plain 'n' simple. Perfecto.

It makes no sense.... Dana hates lay 'n' pray fighters, so why doesn't he change the ruleset that actively promotes this exact fighting style? No kneeing grounded opponents, no stomps, no soccer kicks... all of these silly arbitrary rules means strikers can't defend themselves. When I saw Connor knee McGregor Khabib on the floor, I was annoyed... not at Connor but at the bullshit rules... Connor just did what was natural. Why can you knee a standing opponent but not a grounded opponent? Smells like horse shit to me.

I'm calling for these 'grounded opponent' rules to be removed. The more restrictions in place, the less pure the fighting is. There will be so much more creativity and activity in fights if fighters were free to defend themselves.

If the UFC can't do anything about it then I have a suggestion in place... And it involves oil and speedos.

If fighters were all oiled up and dressed in tight speedos, it would be far more difficult for fighters to wall 'n' stall and lay 'n' pray. They will still be protected on the ground but they will no longer be as effective in holding their opponents down. I think this is a great compromise. Maybe even introduce chocolate spread that the opponent can 'consume' to introduce some creativity.

Great post.

Can't see anyone disagreeing with this.

US MMA rules are basically just a BJJ and grappling advertisement

Lol good wrestlers will be even more dangerous with this rule. You realize they can knee you too right.

That being said, I do want the soccer kicks and knees to come back. I want the most brutal fighting sport ever.
I'd say one of the big things they do is keep eithers "honest", you tend to get much fewer cheap situations both looking for takedowns and trying to escape them because they open you up to knees and soccer kicks.

To be Pride grappling tended to be "cleaner", less of fighters scrambling around for an opponents legs, more genuine sweep escapes, etc

The second you allow kneed to a grounded opponents, wrestlers KO rates will sky rocket. Grapplers disproportionately benifit from this rule. I'm down for it. Forces people to be better grapplers

This is just people bitching about unfair the awesome and mighty art of wrestling is.

Git Gud or kick rocks.

These ignorant noobs. Always trying to claim something as their own. The regs know how many times we’ve had this thread.

TS, in case you’re not trolling, and actually believe the nonsense you wrote in the OP..

GSP has the MOST TD in UFC history.

GSP has the MOST Control time in UFC history.

GSP has the MOST Top Position time in UFC history.

GSP has the 2nd most strikes landed in UFC history.

And GSP has the 2nd best Strking Defence in UFC history.

Now imagine that guy getting to knee downed opponents in the head. Do you see the correlation between these things?

Conor would not have lasted until the illegal knee. Khabib would have already finished him if he was allowed to knee Conor in the head on the ground.

Read more, watch more fights, learn more, and start less crappy threads, alright.

Coleman vs Igor in PRIDE is why you can't knee grounded opponents... because it favors wrestlers. The unified rules are there to save the strikers, not vice versa.

Khabib literally would have murdered Conor if he was allowed to knee Conor while Conor was grounded. The rules are in place so Conor gets the chance to get stood up and get a standing knockout lol

Last edited:
Back