The MMA ruleset that the UFC uses is strongly biased towards wrestling and BJJ. Dana needs to change it. Here's why. (1000 post special)

Yea, I never understood that argument either.

Well to play devils advocate, I think getting into a front headlock position where you are sprawled over your opponent would be the most dangerous grappling position.

If you fail a takedown and get sprawled on by your opponent, you are way more likely to get KOed.

Wrestlers are way more likely to get sprawled on just cause they go for more takedowns.

Grapplers can't punch much on the ground without their opponent getting up now, and when its on the ground nothing counts if they can't land anything. You can't stall in MMA anymore unless there is no strikes thrown and you controlled the entire round. If the striker gets a few punches in before it they win based off damage. It is what it is.

I haven’t see judges rule that way at all. The rule may say damage trumps all but at least 50% of judges seems to think a lot of control beats a little bit of damage.

If some guy lands 2-3 hooks and one guy controls 3 minutes on the ground. The guy controlling will win, don’t care what the rules say, there is enough data on how judges rule to know what is likely outcome.

Damage is not, cannot, and shouldn't be a judging criteria. Judges cant accurately evaluate damage through visual inspection and impressions.

Some fighters blemish easily, others don't. How a fighter looks after a fight is no indication of damage.

To evaluate damage, a thorough medical examination by a licensed doctor would be necessary, along with all kinds of tests. People can't wait for that before knowing who won.

Damage is not, cannot, and shouldn't be a judging criteria. Judges cant accurately evaluate damage through visual inspection and impressions.

Some fighters blemish easily, others don't. How a fighter looks after a fight is no indication of damage.

To evaluate damage, a thorough medical examination by a licensed doctor would be necessary, along with all kinds of tests. People can't wait for that before knowing who won.

I mean refs stop fights based on damage don’t they? So clearly damage can be a criteria.

I agree with a couple points -- not being able to knee a grounded opponent is lame. However, I feel wrestlers and grapplers are and always have been at a huge DISadvantage in MMA. Every time there is no action, a fight is stood up. If there is no action when standing, the fight is not brought to the ground. After every round, the fighter on their back is rescued and the fight is stood up. The grapplers have the odds against them when the fights start sincce the burden is always on them to bring the fight to the ground. In a street fight, no one is going to separate them from inactivity or when the fight has gone 5 minutes. In the affirmative, not being allowed to knee a grounded opponent is a big hinderance for wrestlers too.

Watch some old pride fights TS. Who's the one kneeing the other in the head when the fights hit the ground?
The wrestler who's on top or the striker on the bottom?

Imagine Jones hellbowing the shit out of the head of a downed opponent, back of the head and all.

I mean people can talk about all they like, doesn’t mean the judges or the commentary will think that way. Umar got dropped in the 1st round last night and yet it wasn’t enough for the judges to give the round to the other guy.

The complaint is about the ruleset, which is already fine. We can't control how the judges interpret it.

While I don’t disagree, you do realize Khabib would’ve knee’d Conor’s skull in from that position instead of going for a minutes then?

Lol good wrestlers will be even more dangerous with this rule. You realize they can knee you too right.

That being said, I do want the soccer kicks and knees to come back. I want the most brutal fighting sport ever.
ever?

You ever heard of the Romans?

Hitting a dude while hes on the ground has always been, universally, a bit of a bitch move.

Doesnt matter where your from

Thats because most people dont know how to fight there and are helpless.

I haven’t see judges rule that way at all. The rule may say damage trumps all but at least 50% of judges seems to think a lot of control beats a little bit of damage.

If some guy lands 2-3 hooks and one guy controls 3 minutes on the ground. The guy controlling will win, don’t care what the rules say, there is enough data on how judges rule to know what is likely outcome.
Judges aren't as consistent as I said true. But in that case you can't expect any rulings.

Knees to grounded opponents is way more beneficial to grapplers than it is strikers.

Maybe they should try timers like a shot clock in the NBA?
1. Takedown attempt, if no takedown is executed whether against the cage or not, once time is expired they stand them up again.
2. In guard, significant strikes must be landed or an advance in position must be made. However I think this shot clock should be longer than the takedown shot clock simply because it can take more work to advance from guard.
I'd love to see this tried somewhere.
Then again, the other argument is to not even have rounds timed just let them fight until someone wins. This will never happen in the UFC though because of commercials.
I've been suggesting that for many years.

Separating or standing up fighters is way too relied on a refs discretion. Needs to be a clock where if you don't do anything to advance position you get separated.

But tbh, MMA has evolved in the grappling to where you don't see nearly as many fights these days ruined by lay and pray or wall and stall against the fence.

In years past it was much worse.

Just allow knees, not headkicks and stomps, to the head of a downed opponent and we will see less stall grappling. The fact that a fighter can be bent at 90 degrees at the waist, completely helpless, and touch their fingertips to the ground and now can't be kneed is utterly ridiculous and robs us of both action and stoppages.

Watch some of the ONE FC fights. Lots of knees to the head of a downed opponent and no real adverse results, so far.

Lol good wrestlers will be even more dangerous with this rule. You realize they can knee you too right.

That being said, I do want the soccer kicks and knees to come back. I want the most brutal fighting sport ever.

Look up Kevin Randleman vs Kenichi Yamamoto

I don't understand why people think allowing knees on the ground favors the striker over the wrestler. When the wrestler gets you down why wouldn't they knee you themselves? It's like saying "yeah bro MMA fighters only know how to fight with rules but I'm a street fight they'd get fucked up" as if a trained fighter couldn't also blast you in the nuts harder than you've ever witnessed before. The rules are equal for everyone and wrestlers or trained fighters can use every technique people try to use against them.

When I saw Connor knee McGregor Khabib on the floor, I was annoyed
Yeah that was a weird moment indeed, I puked mushrooms everywhere a few moments later.
And we're all sick of your shitty posts, but here we are.
You might even be right here but your credibility as a fan took a deep slide after your thread about not being able to be a fan of Volks after losing.

Fair weather fans are the worst, in any sport.
I don't even like Volk, but I recognize his talent as a fighter.

Max is my favorite fighter in the UFC but I didn't abandon him after he lost to Volk 3 times (I thought Max won the second fight tbf).
Cats like you that just cling on while the going is good, really don't know what its like to be a "fan" sir.
Damn, for some reason I was reading the thread from bottom to top (seriously, I don't know why I do that) and was surprised when I saw your name over that post, I'm not used to seeing you annoyed like that !

But to be fair I don't think I've seen TS' posts before (although I've seen some sad comments after Volk's loss and the thread you mention kinda sounds familiar lol).

Take care my friend !

Remember when Igor kneed the shit out of Kerr? Man that dude was 5'8! The hero of us manlets!!!

Ironically Pride was not dominated by wrestlers and they had plenty

In fact Wanderlei was able to destroy Saku because they changed the rules to allow knees to head.

Saku was the favorite in their 1st fight cuz of Tito beating Wand.

Wand would've likely beat Tito with the rule set of the Saku fight

Back