The Official Luta Livre thread

I'm kind of in a stalemate regarding my grappling journey any good advanced instructionals on grappling for mma?

Hello guys, I will be doing an Instagram live interview with Luta Livre Legend, Johil de Oliveira this coming tuesday. It will be at 21:00 PM, Brazilian time.

If you have any questions for him post them up here that I will ask him.

It will be mostly done on Portuguese, but if you join in I will gladly translate some parts of it to English, no worries. Thank you!!

IMG-20200923-105320-201.jpg

Jsq5g0Y.jpg
Brilliant uchubaco, thank you for offering this.

1. Yes what does he think the future holds for Luta Livre?
2. Who are the up and coming Luta Livre Fighters to keep an eye on?
3. Who are the up and coming Luta Livre grapplers to keep an eye on?
4. After COVID, when is he next coming to the UK? :)

Brilliant uchubaco, thank you for offering this.

1. Yes what does he think the future holds for Luta Livre?
2. Who are the up and coming Luta Livre Fighters to keep an eye on?
3. Who are the up and coming Luta Livre grapplers to keep an eye on?
4. After COVID, when is he next coming to the UK? :)
I’d like to know some up and comers too

To be honest with you I really don't know…it could be any combination of Takeo Yano, Euclides Hatem or someone from that era…with this issue about the Coronavirus and the issues that people are having with their personal lifes, the Luta Livre scene has been on hold for me to be able to ask about this
Any chance you you could ask him this as well

Great…in a few hours I'll be interviewing him and I'll post some cliffs

I watched the Live and I will leave my opinion here.

I believe that his answer about what type of Karate his father practiced was not very "strong" (looked like he was just answering for the sake of it), I wonder if he even understands that there are multiple types of Karate and know which his father practiced.

I found the answers about Pride a little bit innocent by his part, or maybe it was the fact that he still keeps the rivalry with the Gracie burning strong :) , that may have influenced lol

Interesting to know that his father wanted to face a Gracie, and even more that he took it for himself.

I liked a lot of the idea of one of the viewers of inviting Ebenezer Fontes Braga, also from Luta Livre and Academia Budokan, to talk about the episode of Guy Mezger and Sakuraba. And about his own fights.

Oswaldo Fadda was a Luta-Livre fighter. (Yes, the one with the leg-locking students)
renderTimingPixel.png

It seems that it was something extremely common, here for example you can see that Oswaldo Gracie was not only a practitioner but actually a Luta-Livre teacher.

Very sad to hear of the passing of Roberto Leitão this morning. Not without controversy but undoubtedly a huge contributor, innovator, advocate and most importantly lover of Luta Livre. My condolences to his family.

Very sad to hear of the passing of Roberto Leitão this morning. Not without controversy but undoubtedly a huge contributor, innovator, advocate and most importantly lover of Luta Livre. My condolences to his family.
Oh man. That's awful. God Rest his Soul. I reached out to him once on Facebook and he was very kind and gracious. I always wanted to meet him face to face.

Yes I thought about doing something similar Kforcer (and regret now I didn't) as I think amongst his many talents he was also fluent in english? Clearly a very intelligent man who will be missed.

Yes I thought about doing something similar Kforcer (and regret now I didn't) as I think amongst his many talents he was also fluent in english? Clearly a very intelligent man who will be missed.
He must have been fluent, because he responded to me in English. I was surprised at how kind and responsive he was, given that he must have many people reach out to him.

Yeah heard about Roberto Leitão passing, Peter Aerts even posted it on Instagram. A real shame when a man with his experience passes you feel like knowledge is lost.

I can't necrobump and can't make threads yet but what's different about lutre livre than catch?

I could be completely wrong and there are many knowledgeable posters who can correct me but from what I know luta livre definitely was influenced by catch but I don't believe it really had a pinning aspect. It was basically nogi bjj but with heavier focus of top game, wrestling, and did use leg locks much more at the beginning.

I could be completely wrong and there are many knowledgeable posters who can correct me but from what I know luta livre definitely was influenced by catch but I don't believe it really had a pinning aspect. It was basically nogi bjj but with heavier focus of top game, wrestling, and did use leg locks much more at the beginning.
It used to feature pins, but then they abolished pins in luta livre, in order to distinguish it from catch-wrestling, which was being associated with worked matches in Brazil. Luta livre and catch were basically interchangeable terms at one point and then, due to the stigma of worked matches, Brazilian practitioners sought to distinguish them from one another.

Back