The original, uncut Star Wars

Not bothered about the edits, they make no difference. I doubt most people would notice if it wasn't for all the bitching on reddit.

I imagine the originals will become major collectors items one day.
I've got a VHS of A New Hope. Maybe two copies.

tumblr_o6q1foCDaQ1v9dpg4o2_540.jpg

They are for sell if you're interested.

They definitely need to re-release these films in their original state. Maaaaaaybe Disney will do that after the current trilogy ends, probably as a special feature to some giant box set. I really hate that Lucas felt it was okay to go back and fuck with the films, and basically erase the original cuts from existence. Kind of a slap in the face to the fans that fell in love with those movies.

Maybe if Lucas had waited another 10-15 years he could have subtly changed the original trilogy, but as it stands he went in half cocked a decade too early, the tech wasn't there and as a result you have these shitty Frankenstein films that are half 1970s/80s amazing practical fx and half 1990s shitty CGI. Horrible decision on his part, maybe worse than JarJar and Hayden.
The gal who runs the SW division at Disney has said they won't do it.

Hayden was alright, those lines were shit.

The blaster shots and stuff do look better in the edited versions, overall it looks less like an old VHS tape which I like. Adding the CGI animals and putting that scene with Jabba back into A New Hope was fucking dumb though.

*also fucking with the fact that Han shot first irks me as well.

I forget ...was the dancing frog lady in Jabbas palace in the originals or was that added into one of the edits? either way that's the dumbest shit I've ever seen.
He changed a few of the cantina patrons around, mostly with no point, you'd hardly notice unless you had watched them a hundred times.

Google the "Despecialized" version. It's a version that has been restored piece by piece by fans to basically be the original version but in HD.

Or you can find Laserdisc rips on your favorite torrent site, though the quality isn't great.
That's what bothers me.
I can't just go to a store and buy the movies anymore, I can only buy fucked up, stupid versions of them.

The un-fucked-with originals, that Lucas didn't tinker with.
Once he thought he had the equipment and tech, he started fucking around with the original trilogy and releasing them as such, special editions with a shit ton of CGI crap added in, creating controversy including the infamous Han shooting first and Luke screaming as he falls from Vader.

So today that is all you can get if you want copies. Unless you $pend to find copies on ebay.

Anybody else bothered by this as much as me?
Isn't that an obnoxious thing for a filmmaker to do?

I feel the same about the Old Looney Tune Cartoons.

Lucas gonna Lucas.

4hMh3AS.jpg

This is much more an issue for me than not feeling the prequels were up to much.

The ironic thing is that even the updated SFX often look a bit crap coming from the early years of CGI.

I have my older cousin's original VHS copies from the 80's.

I don't have a VHS player though :(

There's an HD copy online, taken from a 35mm print.

Lucas wife did all the editing on the originals and without her intervention 'star wars' would have been some c rated crap movie straight to video bargain buckets. there is a cool article on cracked about it.
no longer matters Disney have butchered what was left of the franchise.

Lucas wife did all the editing on the originals and without her intervention 'star wars' would have been some c rated crap movie straight to video bargain buckets. there is a cool article on cracked about it.
no longer matters Disney have butchered what was left of the franchise.

Honestly I think this is vastly overstated, I'v seen the editing process detailed and really it kind of falls into what you'd typically expect, removing a few needless scenes and making the intercutting more effective, the only significant change to the story was making the Deathstar a direct threat to Yavin rather than just having an attack on it.

Its really a product of the prequel era were people were desperate to downplay Lucas's role in the originals.

Back