Social The political polarization of education in the US

I have to admit, even with all my time here, the responses showing how many people don't even read the OP is taking me off-guard.

It makes me wonder how much of the discussion is actual discussion, and how much is knee-jerk prepared response.

There are 2 core fields in education : STEaMM and related where technical criteria is 100% and ... other fields where education might be done in order to turn ppl to turn thinking in some flowcharts.

U.S education for politicians is simple solution despite long and nice populistic talks.

1. Reps. Real their core: tuition fees are your own problem and also your student loan.
2. Dems. Approx the same but...we might help you to reduce your student loan debt a bit.

This reality.

The fundamental problem is that the right in America has become increasingly detached from reality so anyone engaged in trying to engage with truth in a serious way loses credibility. So data collected by gov't employees is presumed fake if it doesn't fit with rightists' gut feelings, election results that don't align with what they want are seen as fixed, when the media or law enforcement uncover corruption by rightists, they are seen as not credible, hard science is seen as not credible (evolution, climate, etc.), economists are seen as fake, social science is dismissed out of hand. And educators in general are obviously not respected. The real solution has to involve modernization of the rightist movement, which is not an easy fix.

Separately,.parents will inevitably demand some say in curricula, and to the extent they prevail,.that will generally be detrimental to kids' education, but that's just reality, part of the terrain that educators have to navigate.

The fundamental problem is that the right in America has become increasingly detached from reality so anyone engaged in trying to engage with truth in a serious way loses credibility. So data collected by gov't employees is presumed fake if it doesn't fit with rightists' gut feelings, election results that don't align with what they want are seen as fixed, when the media or law enforcement uncover corruption by rightists, they are seen as not credible, hard science is seen as not credible (evolution, climate, etc.), economists are seen as fake, social science is dismissed out of hand. And educators in general are obviously not respected. The real solution has to involve modernization of the rightist movement, which is not an easy fix.

Separately,.parents will inevitably demand some say in curricula, and to the extent they prevail,.that will generally be detrimental to kids' education, but that's just reality, part of the terrain that educators have to navigate.
mWZWzwq.gif

The thread isn't about Prageru.
The video in the OP is a "PragerU short documentary." You can see it right in the screenshot in the OP. How is this not about PragerU?

PragerU is an organization funded by oil billionaires to deny climate change, and push other batshit far-right lies. All packaged into 5 minute videos with cartoon graphics for the man-children that watch, hosted by assholes like Jordan Peterson, Tim Pool and Candace Owens.

Using them to complain about the state of education in our country is like using Chris Christie to complain about obesity.

The video in the OP is a "PragerU short documentary." You can see it right in the screenshot in the OP. How is this not about PragerU?

PragerU is an organization funded by oil billionaires to deny climate change, and push other batshit far-right lies. All packaged into 5 minute videos with cartoon graphics for the man-children that watch, hosted by assholes like Jordan Peterson, Tim Pool and Candace Owens.

Using them to complain about the state of education in our country is like using Chris Christie to complain about obesity.
If I post a link to a story from CNN about Joe Biden, is it a CNN thread or a Joe Biden thread? Do you believe my intent is to discuss CNN or Biden?

If you can't respond to the topic, then stay out of the thread. Pretty simple.

If I post a link to a story from CNN about Joe Biden, is it a CNN thread or a Joe Biden thread? Do you believe my intent is to discuss CNN or Biden?

If you can't respond to the topic, then stay out of the thread. Pretty simple.
It depends what the context is. If CNN's video was lamenting the state of Journalism in this country, it seems obvious to point out that they are part of that problem, and it's pretty rich of them to complain about that, of all things.

PragerU lamenting the state of education in this country is even more egregious. It's a right-wing online university (they're legally banned from calling themselves a university, hence just the U) with 5 minute courses of cartoons, brought to you by a staff that has an average age under 30.

It's comfort food for lazy shmucks. These chuds drowning us with their crocodile tears over the state of education in this country have probably read a grand total of 0 actual books in the last 12 months, just like one of their main heroes, Andrew Tate, who thinks that's something worth bragging about.

Watching this mini-doc today lead me to thinking of not only the topic itself, but of the various sundry bits of consequence that politics, unions, & entrepreneurship spin-off.

Many people in the US will decry the NEA and much of the traditional public school system as promoting a political ideology. At the exact same time, many people in the US will make the exact same statement about non-traditional independent entities, like charter schools.

The US seems, to me, to have lost most if not all of it's "educational authorities" in the eyes of the general public. Everyone points at whichever side they find objectionable and simply accuse them of propaganda.

How do we resolve this, particularly without overt censorship (legal or financial)?

Why aren't parents allowed to vote on curriculum, or even subject?

Ex. Take the stance:
"Why on earth isn't there mandatory classes in finance in a Capitalistic society? Every last child will require this knowledge throughout their lives, and it is arguably far more important than most of what is required."

Who should decide if this is valid, and why?

Many schools offer a financial literacy class. My school does.

Now, making it mandatory for graduation would be beyond the school walls and have to be done at the state legislatures.

Did you read the OP?

The video is not about the content of the OP. It's about Teacher's Unions.

It was given as contextual reference to my train of thought, and has NOTHING to do (directly) with the questions in the OP.

This has been a great thread.

I feel like I have a much better understanding of the War Room now, and won't bother you with further threads.

Thanks.

Did you read the OP?

The video is not about the content of the OP. It's about Teacher's Unions.

It was given as contextual reference to my train of thought, and has NOTHING to do (directly) with the questions in the OP.
Bro...it obviously has SOMETHING to do with the OP, which is why you put it there.

Your own statement and questions were satisfactorily answered at the start; that is, there are educational authorities, but a small (although not that small) segment of the population is working to undermine it.

Like PragerU, who denies global warming, despite there being an overwhelming scientific consensus on the matter.

This has been a great thread.

I feel like I have a much better understanding of the War Room now, and won't bother you with further threads.

Thanks.

I gave the OP a serious response, but it seems like your intention wasn't really to start a discussion on the issues as much as to just spread partisan propaganda.

I gave the OP a serious response, but it seems like your intention wasn't really to start a discussion on the issues as much as to just spread partisan propaganda.

?

I'm neither a conservative, nor a republican.

What propaganda do you expect I'm spreading? A anti-union agenda?

I don't respond to you Jack because, IME, while you don't overtly insult with most of your replies, I have not seen honest engagement. There are several posters in the WR I also generally do not respond to, as I don't believe they are seeking any sort of persuasion or resolution, merely venting.

Which is fine. People should be allowed to vent. Not judging.

Last edited:
Bro...it obviously has SOMETHING to do with the OP, which is why you put it there.

Your own statement and questions were satisfactorily answered at the start; that is, there are educational authorities, but a small (although not that small) segment of the population is working to undermine it.

Like PragerU, who denies global warming, despite there being an overwhelming scientific consensus on the matter.

No, the question was in light of disagreement regarding who constitutes educational authority, how does a society to determine who should bear that role?

Who ultimately should determine what children are taught? A directly democratic process (such as parents voting), a republic process (such as elected officials), or a deference to a position of authority that answers to neither (such as a medical board).

I couldn't care less what PragerU, nor the NEA, argue for or against in context of this question.
What I was curious about was the method of resolution supported when disagreement arises in terms of educational standards and decisions. Who decides? Or, more accurately, who SHOULD decide?

?

I'm neither a conservative, nor a republican.

What propaganda do you expect I'm spreading?

Note that I didn't mention a party in my post. But you still knew what I was referring to. I think if you're serious about understanding a subject and getting a real discussion of it going, you probably don't want to include propaganda videos directed toward children in the OP. And then ignoring serious responses is another flaw that you are personally responsible for. Those seem like the two usable lessons for you, and they apply beyond the WR.

Note that I didn't mention a party in my post. But you still knew what I was referring to. I think if you're serious about understanding a subject and getting a real discussion of it going, you probably don't want to include propaganda videos directed toward children in the OP. And then ignoring serious responses is another flaw that you are personally responsible for. Those seem like the two usable lessons for you, and they apply beyond the WR.
See, this is a perfect example of the aforementioned dishonesty I was referring to.

The thread is filled with obsessive posts about PragerU, and it's conservative nature.

You feel as though the obvious inference is somehow revelatory of motive.

Terrible.

I will admit you disproved me on one point though; you went straight to insult. I guess I thought you were better than that. I stand corrected.

See, this is a perfect example of the aforementioned dishonesty I was referring to.

Dishonesty is when someone says something that they know is untrue. Can't even fathom what you think was dishonest there. Seems that you're using the term as a kind of random insult toward someone not in your tribe.

The thread is filled with obsessive posts about PragerU, and it's conservative nature.

You feel as though the obvious inference is somehow revelatory of motive.

Terrible.

OK, you're whining about people being familiar with PragerU, but you also don't comment on serious posts on the subject. It doesn't seem that you're interested in a good-faith discussion of the issue as much as flinging poo at people who don't support your party.

Dishonesty is when someone says something that they know is untrue. Can't even fathom what you think was dishonest there. Seems that you're using the term as a kind of random insult toward someone not in your tribe.

OK, you're whining about people being familiar with PragerU, but you also don't comment on serious posts on the subject. It doesn't seem that you're interested in a good-faith discussion of the issue as much as flinging poo at people who don't support your party.

I apologize, but I'm not interested in an insult exchange. I could just watch sports for that, lol.

I apologize, but I'm not interested in an insult exchange. I could just watch sports for that, lol.

But it's all your interested in, as I pointed out. You can see by my first post, I'm more interested in the topic. But you are only responding to stuff to insult people and don't seem at all interested in the thread topic. We really don't need yet another thread that amounts to nothing more than that Republican partisans think people who aren't Republicans are bad.

Education is left leaning, even in right leaning states, because educators have a lot of education. The dumber you are, the bigger asshole you are, and the less curious you are about the nature of things, or the more you prefer things over people, the more likely you are to adopt a simple, self agrandizing story about your place in the world.

Educators then have to teach correctly despite the headwind of society's idiots, pricks, morons, assholes, and rich jerkoffs that got their money without feeling concern for people.

Seems like you conflate virtue with education.
And also seems to lack both.

Last edited:
Back