The Pub

I've done a couple of different 2-day programs based on 5/3/1 or TJM:

OPTION 1 (1 week):
Mon:
Squat & Bench
Thurs:
Dead & Press

I'd second TJM with this set-up. Maybe inverted Juggernaut - I know that if I were to do it, or something similar, I'd do it inverted.

For someone who's already consistently, I have mixed feelings about TJM or a block periodization approach, but I think it's a really good approach for people who have other athletic goals, or are returning to lifting / coming back from an injury, etc.

There's also the approach outlined here, which I think is a really simple and solid approach where you're starting light and progressively building up to heavier weights. It's also a simple block or linear periodization program.

http://www.elitefts.com/education/training/sports-performance/how-i-train/

You might want to also consider whether there are any technical modifications or assistance exercises that will help with your knee/hip/back issues. At this point, I feel that more than actually improving main lifts, the biggest benefit of assistance work is just doing things that allow for balanced muscular development and feeling healthy rather than achey.

Damn. Silva tested positive for steroids, Diaz tested positive for pot. LOL

THUG LIFE
It's like the saddest day for MMA? I'm pretty disappointed. Biggest fight ever $$$-wise and it makes the sport seem like a joke. I am also annoyed at what it means for Silva's legacy, especially in the eyes of the casuals. Even for myself, I can't help but wonder if he was clean his entire career. Maybe he just took them to assist recovery of the injured leg......?

Unfortunately my appendage removal has lead to knee/hip/back issues, want to do my best at not aggravating them
If you don't mind me asking, what happened to your appendage?

If you don't mind me asking, what happened to your appendage?

This is my post from May 2012, can read more in my old log if interested

Well my short term life just changed a lot today

Decided to go canoeing today with a group of friends, there's a river right outside of Nashville. Everything was going great and we were all having a blast

Then we came to the part of the river that has a couple rope swings, ones that I've gone off many many times. Went off of it 3-4 times and then went up to go again, jumped and got a good speed, went to let go of the rope and started falling to the river and the end of the rope where they have a small nylon rope to pull it up got wrapped around my big toe on my right foot. Ended up ripping about 50-60 percent of my toe off. Just got out of surgery about an hour ago to close it up so it can heal

So I'm not going to be doing much lifting in the near future, have to see how the healing process goes. Some good wishes would be appreciated, hopefully it doesn't take me long to be back to relatively normal, thanks S&C brothers

DAmn dude. Thats just bad luck. Hope its better now.

Far out man that is brutal. How is the recovery going now? The reason I asked initially is because I am very interested in lower leg/foot injuries right now. I currently have a broken ankle. Just had surgery to re-attach my syndesmosis. Clearly that ain't shit compared to losing a big toe. All the best, man.

Thanks dudes, nagging pain mostly now, its obviously completely healed now. My injuries are more related to mechanics and my change in posture/gait

You don't realize how useful your big toe is until its gone :D

I miss lifting, going to move up at a snails pace to see if someday i can match my 480/300/480 total from pre-injury

And thanks for the post Tosa, can always count on your knowledgable posts

Far out man that is brutal. How is the recovery going now? The reason I asked initially is because I am very interested in lower leg/foot injuries right now. I currently have a broken ankle. Just had surgery to re-attach my syndesmosis. Clearly that ain't shit compared to losing a big toe. All the best, man.

SO you had your surgery??? it went well yeah??? good deal, so now you are on the mend.

When I did my acl I had to wait like 10 weeks to get the surgery, it was bullshit. I wanted to get it done so I cold heal and get back to what Iwas doing.

10932280_452779181541083_1099382087_n_zps5812bae4.jpg

saw this and couldnt stop laughing

SO you had your surgery??? it went well yeah??? good deal, so now you are on the mend.

When I did my acl I had to wait like 10 weeks to get the surgery, it was bullshit. I wanted to get it done so I cold heal and get back to what Iwas doing.
That sucks man! 10 weeks?! America?

The surgery went really well. Apparently it's quite a simple procedure. I also had a really good surgeon. He does ankle surgeries for professional rugby/soccer players here, clinic is inside the sporting stadium lol.

Did you have a lot of atrophy after the surgery? If so how long did it take to regain your muscle?

Yeah it was in America. I had a guy who did all sorts of pro athletes too but fucking healthcare and insurance stuff in the USA Is total bullshit. WHen I had my hernia surgery here in China, I talked to the doc on a tuesday and had surgery thursday. Stayed an extra day in the hospital and out of pocket I paid like 50 us dollars. Same when I hurt my back 2 years ago. I asked for an mri and got it 5 minutes later for like 15USD.

When I had my ACL done, I did have some atrophy and it was noticable at first but as soon as the doc cleared me, I started riding my mountain bike mostly on just fire roads in the granny gear, I built up to 4-5 hours of spinning I also did a lot of depe water pool work, I took it really seriously and now its good as new with zero pain but it did take time and got frusterating when I wanted to start really training again.

I would say that once I got the go ahead to get back to things, there was no more atrophy within 4-5 months.

I also feel like th ebike riding really helped recover my ROM.

Thanks for the info man. I'm really glad everything went well for you.

Healthcare ain't bad at all here in aus either. I went in a day after the accident. Got scans with a physio. She got me into surgeon the following day. He got me into surgery 4 days after that. So 6 days all up. Only expense was my pain prescriptions ($55)

Hearing about medical expenses & health care costs in other countries is just crazy.

I had a small meniscus tear in my right knee a few years ago. I have excellent insurance through my employer & I was also covered by my wife's employer as a secondary. Checked to make sure the surgeon was "in network" with my insurance company, he was. Went in one morning for surgery, home by noon.

Turns out the doctor was in network, but the doctor's office where they performed the surgery wasn't. (Does that make ANY sense???) Insurance only pays 80% anyway....so that ended up being about $2500-$3000 out of pocket.

Universal health care is the bomb.

I'm cheesed I don't get health care out of Canada. I don't expect some hut of a doctor's office here to swipe my OHIP card and let me go but getting reimbursed would be nice. I paid my taxes, don't understand why I shouldn't get it, other than fear of some sketchy doctor claiming thousands and thousands for some surgery while I'm drinking a big Tiger on the beach.

Back