The Ring Rank Tyson Fury Above Wilder. Anthony Joshua Still #1

Deontay should be by all accounts number 2

Why? He got lucky the fight was ruled a draw, Fury should be at least 2. Fury is the lineal champion(all belts) and the vast majority of people think he just beat Wilder.

how is whyte not above ortiz?
No idea.
Why? He got lucky the fight was ruled a draw, Fury should be at least 2. Fury is the lineal champion(all belts) and the vast majority of people think he just beat Wilder.
Becasue fury up until he fought Deontay he was unranked and it was a draw regardless of what we think about it. And that Deontay is wbc champ which is a tangible title.

No idea.

Becasue fury up until he fought Deontay he was unranked and it was a draw regardless of what we think about it. And that Deontay is wbc champ which is a tangible title.

The "draw" was enough for the guys who do the rankings to put Fury as number 2. Even if you don't count it as a win then they drew against each other and Fury has the best win. While Wilder has only fought 2 top HWs and was losing to Ortiz and most thought he lost to Fury. IMO Wilder doesn't have good enough wins to remain number 2.

No idea.

To be fair Fury was only unranked due to his retirement. If Georges St Pierre came back from retirement and went to a draw with Wonderboy in a fight almost everyone thought he won, he'd probably be ranked above him because of his resume and the opinion on the fight.

According to Michael Benson (journalist for TalkSport) the decision to put Tyson Fury above Deontay Wilder came after every single member of their panel agreed that Tyson Fury should have been given the win against Wilder. Anthony Joshua still holds the number 1 spot, with no champion yet.

So here are the new heavyweight rankings for The Ring Magazine:

1. Anthony Joshua
2 . Tyson Fury
3. Deontay Wilder
4. Luis Ortiz
5. Dillian Whyte
6. Alexander Povetkin
7. Joseph Parker
8. Jarrell Miller
9. Adam Kownacki
10. Kubrat Pulev

What do you guys think of those rankings? I'm not sure if Miller should be ranked that high, but seems about right to me.

http://www.sportbible.com/boxing/ne...anks-tyson-fury-above-deontay-wilder-20181207

The ring magazine is clearly written and run by a bunch of biased brits!

Lol what is the judging criteria?

If it is just guys speculating then everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Rankings, and P4P lists have been questionable for a while now.

Lol what is the judging criteria?

If it is just guys speculating then everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Rankings, and P4P lists have been questionable for a while now.
Probably just opinion, but it's not like The Ring is some random magazine. They've been going for over a century and world champions respect their titles by holding them in the ring.

Probably just opinion, but it's not like The Ring is some random magazine. They've been going for over a century and world champions respect their titles by holding them in the ring.

Didn't they rank Pacquiao over Floyd for "fighter of the decade" or something?

List seems pretty good to me for the most part. I don't know if Adam Kownacki quite deserves to be on there but things don't seem too far off.

Didn't they rank Pacquiao over Floyd for "fighter of the decade" or something?
I think that was the Boxing Writers Association of America. Not sure if there's some overlap or not.

I think that was the Boxing Writers Association of America. Not sure if there's some overlap or not.

Ring ranked Pac over Mayweather. It may not have been for "fighter of the decade" (thought it was). In any case:

"THE RING is sticking with Pacquiao as its No.1 fighter — barely.....

The debate among members of THE RING’s Ratings Advisory Panel concerning who should be No. 1 pound for pound was fairly evenly divided between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather,” Collins said. “Manny and Floyd could very well be considered No. 1A and No. 1B. However, the tricky thing about the pound-for-pound ratings is that they are much more subjective than the divisional ratings, which are objective and based on results within the division....

In the end, Pacquiao held onto the top spot due to his slightly better overall body of work and the difficulty involved in demoted a fighter coming off a virtual shutout performance such as Pacquiao’s victory over Joshua Clottey."
(https://www.ringtv.com/123465-ring-ratings-update-whos-no-1-pacquiao-or-mayweather/)

I don't too much trust ratings anymore, they seem to be very subjective. They put a beaten Pacquiao over Mayweather? I'm not buying it.

I blame Oscar jk, but he owns it if I'm not mistaken lol

Ring ranked Pac over Mayweather. It may not have been for "fighter of the decade" (thought it was). In any case:

"THE RING is sticking with Pacquiao as its No.1 fighter — barely.....

The debate among members of THE RING’s Ratings Advisory Panel concerning who should be No. 1 pound for pound was fairly evenly divided between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather,” Collins said. “Manny and Floyd could very well be considered No. 1A and No. 1B. However, the tricky thing about the pound-for-pound ratings is that they are much more subjective than the divisional ratings, which are objective and based on results within the division....

In the end, Pacquiao held onto the top spot due to his slightly better overall body of work and the difficulty involved in demoted a fighter coming off a virtual shutout performance such as Pacquiao’s victory over Joshua Clottey."
(https://www.ringtv.com/123465-ring-ratings-update-whos-no-1-pacquiao-or-mayweather/)

I don't too much trust ratings anymore, they seem to be very subjective. They put a beaten Pacquiao over Mayweather? I'm not buying it.

I blame Oscar jk, but he owns it if I'm not mistaken lol
This was just after Manny beat Cotto, so I guess I don't really blame them. I'm sure it was tough to call at the time.

This was just after Manny beat Cotto, so I guess I don't really blame them. I'm sure it was tough to call at the time.

I don't know. Mayweather was undefeated, and beat the number 3 guy in Mosley. I think it is subjective, and speculation. It was probably tough until Oscar walked in the room. I don't want to chalk it up to him, but he loathes Floyd.

To be fair Fury was only unranked due to his retirement. If Georges St Pierre came back from retirement and went to a draw with Wonderboy in a fight almost everyone thought he won, he'd probably be ranked above him because of his resume and the opinion on the fight.
I get where both of you guys are coming from. And although I agree he won. It does seem unfair that he goes above the wbc belt holder. You could even make a case for whyte to be above fury. But fury at 2? Nah.

The Transnational Boxing Rankings Board (TBRB) were actually the first to rank Fury over Wilder for the No. 2 spot previously occupied by Wilder. Their panel found the official result to be a “bad draw”. They update their rankings on Tuesday and reflect on the fights and any rankings movement/changes since their last update. Their explanation can be found on their homepage www.tbrb.org

The Ring's explanation for their decision was published here Ring Ratings Update: Tyson Fury Rises To No. 2 In Heavyweight Rankings

The Ring tends to do a better job of being transparent so we know by name who voted for or against a proposal like this and why. This case was no different.

The Transnational Boxing Rankings Board (TBRB) were actually the first to rank Fury over Wilder for the No. 2 spot previously occupied by Wilder. Their panel found the official result to be a “bad draw”. They update their rankings on Tuesday and reflect on the fights and any rankings movement/changes since their last update. Their explanation can be found on their homepage www.tbrb.org

The Ring's explanation for their decision was published here Ring Ratings Update: Tyson Fury Rises To No. 2 In Heavyweight Rankings

The Ring tends to do a better job of being transparent so we know by name who voted for or against a proposal like this and why. This case was no different.
Thanks for clearing things up. Much appreciated :)

Ortiz would slap Whyte.

Oh, and Boxrec >>> The ring

Ortiz would slap Whyte.

Oh, and Boxrec >>> The ring
Well Boxrec have Wilder at #2 even after the vast majority of people think that Tyson won their fight. So I'd say the Ring have it right and Boxrec system doesn't account for occasions like this where someone was robbed of victory that they clearly deserved.

Back