Television THE RINGS OF POWER (Only 37% of Viewers Finished the Series, post #1917)

If you have watched the entire season one of RINGS OF POWER, how do you feel about it?

• Total voters
Sure you did, bud. You can edit the post and copy/paste the rest of the shill review after you get through googling what happened in the show.

Lol What? How do you think I edited the post dork? Jesus man, grow up.

No he wasn't.
He stated something plainly and you're so wrapped up in being better than him you can't take a step back and have a hard think about this.
I made a statement. He disagreed and tried to change the question. Standard issue internet arguing.

Point is, I haven't said anything that wasn't accurate. Facts.

"Subjective" =/= "Can't be bad"
The ship and stone thing was fucking retarded, makes zero sense and was complete soulless sosphistry that LOTR is not known for. It is not within the lexicon of dialogue or philosophy for the show. Characters in Tolkiens work, from the realistic, to the fanatical to the supernatural speak very plainly with a sympathetic tint that makes even the grandest points relatable, real and impactful.

Saying "A stone cannot resist the depths of darkness" or whatever the fuck that was for the most impactful scene to start a franchise was and is terrible writing. Whether you like it or not is subjective.

Yes. Galadriel being the best climber, best origami maker, best swordfighter, acrobat, master of the mystic, super-natural swimmer, smarter than everyone and generally a fucking annoying unlkable domineering cunt is Mary-Sue-ism. Legolas was probably the most over-powered character both in the novels and movies, but because he was a thousands year old hunter from Mirkwood and his specialty, from the jump, was designated as an elite warrior killer. Aragorn was of this ilk but many times would defer to Legolas, Gandalf and even Boromir for input, ideas and information. Legolas himself was even incapable of killing a troll on his own.

So you think that makes sense in the canon of the show? Galadriel, who is never mentioned as a warrior princess in the source material, is a more proficient warrior than probably the best humanoid killing machine walking Middle Earth in Legolas? So Galadriel is the most competent warrior in middle earth. It's settled. Just like Rey is the best Jedi ever.

You stating that you don't think something stupid even matters to the story is just your own obfuscation and we don't have to pretend it makes sense or is the general opinion of most. It seems like you have a lot invested in this show, and aren't even a huge Tolkien fan bc you have zero fucking clue what you're talking about, which is why everything you're saying is going to be chalked up to culture-war "Dunking on the chuds" bullshit.
Sounds like something a stone would say.

???
But you'll write 5 paragraphs on me criticizing people that make bad arguments?
And these same people that apparently don't like to write 5 paragraphs on the show (in the thread about the show) have no problem writing essays about SJWS and the plight of the white straight man. OK.

If someone asked me my opinion on a movie or show, and I told them "it was bad". I would then explain why I thought it was bad. I would tell them what character sucked and why. I would tell them what part of the story didn't make sense. I would tell them a horrible line that was said.
Like, why else would you be on a message board in a thread about a show if you're not going to actually discuss the show beyond "this is bad" ? lol how am I the weird one on this?
If you don't want to do that, that's fine. But if you're going to jump in the convo and act like I'm asking for something ridiculous here, come on, dude.
Lol, your criteria for a "legitimate" criticism is a bit ridiculous. Nobody is asking you to write that comprehensively on why you like the show. (unless i missed it)

Now if someone is just saying "it sucks" and they didn't even watch it - Yes, thats an illegitimate criticism. And they probably just posted it because of their political leanings.

But I'm not getting that sense here or online overall, I would say main way they fucked up to begin with is by messing with the lore. That will piss off fans everytime, and while I am not a LOTR fan, I can certainly understand why they are mad

The ship and stone thing was fucking retarded, makes zero sense and was complete soulless sosphistry that LOTR is not known for. It is not within the lexicon of dialogue or philosophy for the show. Characters in Tolkiens work, from the realistic, to the fanatical to the supernatural speak very plainly with a sympathetic tint that makes even the grandest points relatable, real and impactful.

Saying "A stone cannot resist the depths of darkness" or whatever the fuck that was for the most impactful scene to start a franchise was and is terrible writing. Whether you like it or not is subjective.

Yes. Galadriel being the best climber, best origami maker, best swordfighter, acrobat, master of the mystic, super-natural swimmer, smarter than everyone and generally a fucking annoying unlkable domineering cunt is Mary-Sue-ism. Legolas was probably the most over-powered character both in the novels and movies, but because he was a thousands year old hunter from Mirkwood and his specialty, from the jump, was designated as an elite warrior killer. Aragorn was of this ilk but many times would defer to Legolas, Gandalf and even Boromir for input, ideas and information. Legolas himself was even incapable of killing a troll on his own.

So you think that makes sense in the canon of the show? Galadriel, who is never mentioned as a warrior princess in the source material, is a more proficient warrior than probably the best humanoid killing machine walking Middle Earth in Legolas? So Galadriel is the most competent warrior in middle earth. It's settled. Just like Rey is the best Jedi ever.

You stating that you don't think something stupid even matters to the story is just your own obfuscation and we don't have to pretend it makes sense or is the general opinion of most. It seems like you have a lot invested in this show, and aren't even a huge Tolkien fan bc you have zero fucking clue what you're talking about, which is why everything you're saying is going to be chalked up to culture-war "Dunking on the chuds" bullshit.
When did I say that Subjective = Can't be bad ?
You have a habit of putting words into people's mouths, buddy. Subjective meaning, something being bad to you, doesn't make it bad to other people.
You seem to have again forgotten that this is a TV show..and not a book. And let's just keep focusing on the rock, and ignore everything else that happened...because that makes sense. :rolleyes:

I don't have a lot "invested" in this show, because...it's a TV show. It's you guys that are having mental breakdowns in here over it.
I can't even really properly respond to your post, because it's just deranged. You think that just calling people cunts, and saying something is stupid, or bad over and over again somehow makes your argument good.
And again...you are judging the quality of writing of this show, while simultaneously saying that The Witcher is an example of good writing? lol That tells me a lot.

Legolas was already OP as fuck in the LOTR adaptations from "The 2 Towers" on.One of the more annoying parts of the original Trilogy.

Absolutely on the money.

Legolas was already OP as fuck in the LOTR adaptations from "The 2 Towers" on.One of the more annoying parts of the original Trilogy.
Remember when he rode a shield down a flight of stairs while rapid firing arrows?

Now THAT was some quality writing that respected the source material!

Lol, your criteria for a "legitimate" criticism is a bit ridiculous. Nobody is asking you to write that comprehensively on why you like the show. (unless i missed it)

Now if someone is just saying "it sucks" and they didn't even watch it - Yes, thats an illegitimate criticism. And they probably just posted it because of their political leanings.

But I'm not getting that sense here or online overall, I would say main way they fucked up to begin with is by messing with the lore. That will piss off fans everytime, and while I am not a LOTR fan, I can certainly understand why they are mad
It is ridiculous to ask you what specific scene, characters, or lines you disliked in a show in a thread about the show ?
And you think that that would require you to write a 5 paragraph essay?

You wasted all of this time saying nothing when you could have written literally 2 sentences about a specific scene or line that you thought was an example of bad writing/story. And then I could have either agreed or disagreed with it, and a discussion could have sprung from there instead of whatever we're doing right now.

This is very simple, so i don't know why you're trying to make this more complicated than it is.
Don't bother, man. This discussion has been about as enjoyable as a trip to the dentist.

Finally got around to watching it with the Gf last night. Overall, we both thought it was enjoyable and deserving of adding to our watch list.

Personally, we didn’t find the acting bad but some of the lines were a bit so so. I thought the Harfoots were charming the Dwarves were hilarious. Durin definitely reminded me of Gimli with his snarky remarks.

A few of my favorite scenes were the entrance to Khazad-dûm. I absolutely loved the entrance music and the contest between Durin and Elrond was good fun.

But my overall favorite scene was between Elrond and Celebrimbor when looking at Fëanor's hammer. During their talk of the Silmarils, Celebrimbor said to Elrond:

“True creation requires sacrifice. They say that Morgoth found the Silmarils so beautiful that after he'd stolen them, for weeks, he could do nothing but stare into their depths. It was only after one of his tears fell upon the jewels and he was faced with the evil of his own reflection, that the reverie was finally broken. From that moment, he... He looked upon their light no more. Fëanor's work nearly turned the heart of the Great Foe himself.”

This wasn’t written by Tolkien but I personally thought it was an excellent bit of story telling.

I hated the quick switching between characters in what seemed like every 5 minutes. It threw me off a bit. But, I’d say it’s off to a good start.

I really liked that scene too, actually..especially the line about true creation requiring sacrifice.
Seems like that will pop up again at some point.
As the show goes on, I hope the cuts between the characters/stories decreases. Just as some scenes were starting to get interesting, they'd cut to someone else, and it'd throw me out of the story a bit.

Last edited:
It can be about both.
Bad reviews can kill a project. If you have a bunch of dipshits that are review bombing things, it's not in anyone's best interest to just let that stand. It takes big money to make these projects, and studios aren't going to want to pour money into these things if assholes can tank their work from their keyboards.
A negative review and a positive review aren't equal. There's way more damage if it's negative, and it's much harder to repair a reputation.

How do you know they’re review bombing and not because majority don’t like the show?

Holy shit the amount of outrage over this show. In what way does featuring a black elf in an adjacent Tolkien fantasy show warrant this amount of carrying on? You've put ten times the focus on it than the show has and made the entire thing about some racial purity test. In regards to the writing, yeah it's mediocre so far. A little early to tell how the show will pan out.

The Witcher had atrocious writing. Cavill was the only one who made it bearable, and I say that as someone who was looking forward to it for years.
lol Exactly. The Witcher was atrocious. I'm a big fan of the game, and I was very much looking forward to the show and Cavill playing him...but it sucked.
To complain about the writing of this show, and then praise The fucking Witcher for having good writing is hilarious.

Yep, and now Galadriel is more overpowered than he was. Makes total sense.

Reactions: HHJ
Back