The Simpsons™ Destroyed By PC Goons. #ApuToo

The level of outrage and ten pages of bitch-fits being thrown over this actor contemplating stepping away from this one-note, stereotypical cartoon character that was never even funny in the first place is as pathetic if not more so than anyone offended by Apu.

Who the fuck cares this much about Apu going away? He sucked. You guys will find anything to bitch about.

I didn't notice an "immense social pressure from leftist puritans" in this case. I hardly even knew there was a controversy. There is certainly not anything so crazy about his response that I'd attack him for it.

The guy said he feels bad that the character led to a lot of kids having trouble in school, and that it was never his intention. That seems like a very human reaction to hearing this stuff.

how would he know 'a lot of kids were having trouble in school' over a cartoon character .. lol .. now I'm not sure if this is trolling or y'all are just that dumb and naive

you dont even take anything in, what "apu jokes" do these kids get used against them? why is white americans discrimination any different than discrimination anywhere else? what makes your white people special?

Im talking about apu and other characters being used by groups of people to racially abuse me(and I can still not blame the character or the show for said abuse), and you compare that to people thinking you are canadian on xbox live? how is that even close to comparable?

oh and my dad was Iranian

I knew Conor fans were idiots but damn........Look Im sorry, you simply don't fucking get it...You clearly have an Agenda or/and are an idiot who doesn't want to see other points of views.

What Apu Jokes? Bro they just use the accents and what Apu does to make fun of indian kids at school....Do you not fucking understand?

I never said White American discrimination is different...I simply said White Americans do it, and the only difference between some Indian kid getting apu jokes and you getting apu jokes, is that they are Indian....Thus an Apu Joke will offend an Indian more than you...Do you understand?

People tried to abuse me with Canadian jokes....They didn't affect me because Im not Canadian.......Just like Apu Jokes don't really affect you because you're not indian.....That was the point.

and if they threw you Iranian Jokes 24/7 in school, then you would know how those indian kids felt.

and for the last time bro...You aren't the golden standard, just because it doesn't affect you as much, doesn't mean other people are wrong...Like I said people back in the day got raped left and right, I wouldn't be like "Hey rape victim, toughen up cuz people in the roman days were use to this shit", this is essentially what you are doing.

I own you.
giphy.gif

how would he know 'a lot of kids were having trouble in school' over a cartoon character .. lol .. now I'm not sure if this is trolling or y'all are just that dumb and naive

They made a documentary about it. What are you missing here? Instead of being combative just say what you want to say.

Where does this desire to keep certain groups in a perpetual victim-status come from? Why the arrogant assumption of the high ground? Why this constant need to apologize? Who didn't like Apu? Simpsons transcended race, culture, religion, age, or gender. That was a major part of it's appeal. The fact that The Simpsons has survived the test of time, is proof of it's all-around appeal. Hank has his prerogatives. That's his business at the end of the day.

The level of outrage and ten pages of bitch-fits being thrown over this actor contemplating stepping away from this one-note, stereotypical cartoon character that was never even funny in the first place is as pathetic if not more so than anyone offended by Apu.

Who the fuck cares this much about Apu going away? He sucked. You guys will find anything to bitch about.

Most probably don't. I'm guessing they care more about the overall trend.

exactly, the simpsons is built on easy stereotypes of almost every single race imaginable. but according to @GOATER only indian kids suffering counts
How the hell is Apu a negative representative of indian culture -- his voice? He is an character from India who has an accent! No one gets triggered about the fact that EVERY demographic character has a Representative tone of voice. All the black characters (including Mrs Hibbert ) have a bass tone to their voice. All the Italian characters have a 40's mobster tone. The mexican bubble guy, The jewish rabbi and frink., The Austrian, The slack jaw yokel -- ALL of them.

Why is the Apu character getting backlash? Because Hari Kondabolu decided to faux outrage to cash in on it?

Dude the black characters aren't even a stereotype, one of them is gay, or it's implied he is gay, the other is a doctor, and Im not sure if there is more.....Abu is clearly a stereotype.

You bring up Italians... Italians in modern American culture are actually liked.....completely fucking different.

You mentioned the Mexican Bumble bee guy....Im Mexican so I thought about this thru out the thread...I was never offended by it, nor was I ever teased by it...but then again the bumble bee guy never had a huge role in the simpsons like Apu so maybe thats why....but trust me, people made fun of me in other ways with Mexican stereotypes.

and I never said only kids suffering counts..Im just saying I understand why people would be pissed off, if they got harassed 24/7 because of that character.

I knew Conor fans were idiots but damn........Look Im sorry, you simply don't fucking get it...You clearly have an Agenda or/and are an idiot who doesn't want to see other points of views.

What Apu Jokes? Bro they just use the accents and what Apu does to make fun of indian kids at school....Do you not fucking understand?

I never said White American discrimination is different...I simply said White Americans do it, and the only difference between some Indian kid getting apu jokes and you getting apu jokes, is that they are Indian....Thus an Apu Joke will offend an Indian more than you...Do you understand?

People tried to abuse me with Canadian jokes....They didn't affect me because Im not Canadian.......Just like Apu Jokes don't really affect you because you're not indian.....That was the point.

and if they threw you Iranian Jokes 24/7 in school, then you would know how those indian kids felt.

and for the last time bro...You aren't the golden standard, just because it doesn't affect you as much, doesn't mean other people are wrong...Like I said people back in the day got raped left and right, I wouldn't be like "Hey rape victim, toughen up cuz people in the roman days were use to this shit", this is essentially what you are doing.

I own you.
giphy.gif
you own nothing lol

I had no idea about Iranian culture when I was younger, i was raised by the Scottish half of my family. I just knew I was a different colour from everyone else, and thats what was used against me. Apu being indian didnt matter, but again. its the ignorant people that are the problem, not the show. You just cant understand where the problem lies. So you just get your SJW panties in a twist and bitch and moan

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/what-are-some-good-games-to-play-when-your-depressed.3748055/
tell me about how depressed you are little girl?

They made a documentary about it. What are you missing here? Instead of being combative just say what you want to say.

what is the name of this documentary .. I'd like to check it out

There will always be "bitching", but IMO, it's wrong to attempt to phrase this entire discussion as people simply whining.

I don't think anyone reasonable is going to say that this incident in a vacuum is something to spend a lot of time thinking about, because of course anyone is free to complain about 30 year-old beloved characters that most of us grew up with, we all just recognize, those of us who are reasonable anyway, that it's a petty complaint and that show is harmless fun, and instead of trying to shut it down, in true American spirit one should simply turn the channel.

And of course we also recognize that Azaria is free to do as he wants, he can leave or stay, but to suggest that this is somehow a new controversy is entirely inaccurate, as this conversation took place when the show first gained notoriety. Don't forget that Homer, arguably the main character, is modeled after the worst stereotypes of the American man; a balding, clinically obese, functional alcoholic who is as ignorant as he is dumb. But after a quick reality check and the understanding that it's a light-hearted comedy show, people eventually capitulated.

This conversation is happening again today because of the PC-climate and because people know that complaining works. It's this attitude that some of us are objecting to, and not on legal grounds, but on basic human decency. Don't like a show? Don't watch it.

I'd like to point out that the entire show "King of the Hill", stereotypes "my people" in the most obscene ways.

I've never heard anyone complain about that.

Are you the sensible Asian or are you the stupid ignorant white people?

There will always be "bitching", but IMO, it's wrong to attempt to phrase this entire discussion as people simply whining.

I don't think anyone reasonable is going to say that this incident in a vacuum is something to spend a lot of time thinking about, because of course anyone is free to complain about 30 year-old beloved characters that most of us grew up with, we all just recognize, those of us who are reasonable anyway, that it's a petty complaint and that show is harmless fun, and instead of trying to shut it down, in true American spirit one should simply turn the channel.

And of course we also recognize that Azaria is free to do as he wants, he can leave or stay, but to suggest that this is somehow a new controversy is entirely inaccurate, as this conversation took place when the show first gained notoriety. Don't forget that Homer, arguably the main character, is modeled after the worst stereotypes of the American man; a balding, clinically obese, functional alcoholic who is as ignorant as he is dumb. But after a quick reality check and the understanding that it's a light-hearted comedy show, people eventually capitulated.

This conversation is happening again today because of the PC-climate and because people know that complaining works. It's this attitude that some of us are objecting to, and not on legal grounds, but on basic human decency. Don't like a show? Don't watch it.

The problem with this interpretation is that it is removed from the reality of the situation. The Simpsons remains beloved and there was no complaining campaign or anything to drive this. It's Azaria saying that he heard some kids were bullied based on the character and he personally feels bad about it. And some people are pissed at him for saying that, and others think that he can't possibly be sincere when he says it.

Dude the black characters aren't even a stereotype, one of them is gay, or it's implied he is gay, the other is a doctor, and Im not sure if there is more.....Abu is clearly a stereotype.

You bring up Italians... Italians in modern American culture are actually liked.....completely fucking different.

You mentioned the Mexican Bumble bee guy....Im Mexican so I thought about this thru out the thread...I was never offended by it, nor was I ever teased by it...but then again the bumble bee guy never had a huge role in the simpsons like Apu so maybe thats why....but trust me, people made fun of me in other ways with Mexican stereotypes.

and I never said only kids suffering counts..Im just saying I understand why people would be pissed off, if they got harassed 24/7 because of that character.

Carl isnt a gay -- and a black character was a jazz musician, which is a mundane stereotype. The Scottish guy is a drunk - The jewish guy is a nerd -- The irish cop is a an idiot -- The Chinese guy a restaurant owners and a karate instructor the list goes on and on.

American media portrays Italians as mobsters or Guido's -- either way, their acceptance of the culture is on par with indio americans, even if both are portrayed in stereotypes in the media.

Whats the stereotype of Apu, a successful business owner with a degree in computer science -- small business ownership and academic success are often a source of pride for the indio-american community. Also, as someone who lives/ works in one of the highest indian concentrations in North America, is family with and is close friends with Indian people, none of them found Apu to be derogatory or found the simpsons to be isolationist with their characters.

It is a very small group who is making noise (and profit) from it.

They should write Apu off the show by having him arrested for public defecation

I'm sure everyone would be happy with that outcome

I swear, there won't be anything left of an entertainment industry in a few years. Get your hands on as much hard copy as you can. Because show after show and movie after movie will eventually be gone. Except, of course, those shows and movies that poke fun at whites and Christians.

Most probably don't. I'm guessing they care more about the overall trend.

Trend of what? Shallow cartoon characters having their stereotypical shtick get old after decades? That seems pretty normal. No reason to get rustled over it. If Apu was anything other than a cheap one trick character the actor probably wouldn’t want to quit. But that’s all Apu was. There’s literally nothing wrong with him no longer being on tv.

Apu has always been a funny character, but I get why Indian people (and a lot of middle eastern people who have been called Apu by dumb asses) think the character is bullshit. There are some comedians who don't care about offending people and there are some that do, and if Azaria doesn't want to do the character anymore, that is his choice.

Back