The UFC is getting silly with their promotion of double champs

FloydMayweatherMMA

Money Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Screenshot_20181017-112128_Facebook.jpg
Note that DC has two belts, presumably the HW and LHW straps. Note also that the UFC has already announced Jones - Gus II for six weeks after this event.

They don't seem to comprehend that if you go up (or down, for that matter) a weight class, that doesn't mean you're the champion of both divisions. It means you've changed weight class. First Conor, now Cormier. Neither of these men are going to fight at the lower weight again, so why the charade?

For all boxings faults, you will generally see a champion relinquish their title before they move weight, as it's not feasible to put your body through the extremes of cutting to two different weights multiple times at elite level.

I can see the logic with Conor from a promotional standpoint, as he has so many casual fans that only watch him fight, they could well think he's still the two weight world champion. But DC? Incredible fighter, but a world apart from Conor in terms of selling power. It's mostly going to be your core audience watching this card, how dumb do they think the fans are?

Last edited:
DC is currently champion in two weight classes. Not sure what is surprising about the UFC pointing this out in promoting his next fight.

Last edited:
View attachment 455317
Note that DC has two belts, presumably the HW and LHW straps. Note also that the UFC has already announced Jones - Gus II for six weeks after this event.

They don't seem to comprehend that if you go up (or down, for that matter) a weight class, that doesn't mean you're the champion of both divisions. It means you've changed weight class. First Conor, now Cormier. Neither of these men are going to fight at the lower weight again, so why the charade?

For all boxings faults, you will gemaerally see a champion relinquish their title before they move weight, as it's not feasible to put your body through the extremes of cutting to two different weights multiple times at elite level.

I can see the logic with Conor from a promotional standpoint, as he has so many casual fans that only watch him fight, they could well think he's still the two weight world champion. But DC? Incredible fighter, but a world apart from Conor in terms of selling power. It's mostly going to be your core audience watching this card, how dumb do they think the fans are?

MMA fans are dumb

Very dumb

He will be stripped when the first punch is thrown in Gus vs Jon

0cb98984-5b6f-4afd-a812-b4524272da09.gif

LOL

DC has actually DEFENDED his belt at LHW, against Gus, and Rumble.

He's actually going to defend his HEAVYWEIGHT belt against a top contender in Black Beast (whether folks agree or not, he's still ranked) and possibly Brock or a rematch with Stipe.

Conor, as much as I enjoy his scraps, has NEVER defended EITHER belt.

No comparison between the two.

Did you just say boxers relinquish their belts before moving?

How come I see Floyd and Manny parade around the ring with 7 belts at once? Boxing is way more ridiculous.

Enough double champions, its time for a triple champion !!
tenor.gif

Did you just say boxers relinquish their belts before moving?

How come I see Floyd and Manny parade around the ring with 7 belts at once? Boxing is way more ridiculous.
Multiple belts in the same weight class dude.

He is currently the champion in both weight classes.

I don't see your point.

Why wouldn't they promote that?

They don't seem to comprehend that if you go up (or down, for that matter) a weight class, that doesn't mean you're the champion of both divisions. It means you've changed weight class.

I'm not sure if you have heard this, but fighters are only need to weigh in before fights, and they are allowed weigh whatever they want between fights at a given weight.

I say two belts per division.

Intercontinental and world champion..

You can't do this boxing type shit with one belt and lesser weight classes. It doesn't make sense and devalues the title.

Dc is the current champ of both division

It's not as though they let some loud mouth whiskey salesman pardade around with 2 belts despite not being a champ of any division

I'm not sure if you have heard this, but fighters are only need to weigh in before fights, and they are allowed weigh whatever they want between fights at a given weight.
Lol. Yea but that doesn't mean they're fighting at the weight class above, does it? They make weight for the specific weight division. Come on guy.

LOL

He's actually going to defend his HEAVYWEIGHT belt against a top contender in Black Beast (whether folks agree or not, he's still ranked) and possibly Brock or a rematch with Stipe.

Conor, as much as I enjoy his scraps, has NEVER defended EITHER belt.

No comparison between the two.
True, and I didn't mean this post as a slight on DC. However, can you honestly see him defending 205 again? That's my issue with it, if you can't defend both belts, just give one up. DC has effectively vacated 205, seeing as it's being contested by Jones and Gus, so why the pretence now of promoting him as a two weight world champ?

True, but seeing as one would generally need to put on some weight in order to be competitive at a championship level in a higher weight class - especially a wrestler like DC - the body will not take long to show ill effects of extreme weight gain and loss doing this multiple times a year, hence why no one in modern MMA does it.

What other interim champs defended their belts? Tony? Who else? I'm sure Randy would have if Tito didn't sign.
Most just want to sit until the champ comes back.

Back