Theory: Dana wants to keep Izzy in the LHW division because he knows Bellator is winning

Izzy I could actually see being an active champ champ as I don't think he's gonna pile on a bunch of weight for his LHW fights and will still easily make MW.
Can't even imagine him being able to defend the belt against Glover. Izzy gets rawdogged imo

No one watches only Bellator and not the Ufc.

Bellator doesn't compete with the ufc

Pretty much, nobody has been a proper defending two division champion in the UFC but I would put Jones below champs who moved up and never went back down again because they werent so obviously running from a challenger.
I dont think he was running from Reyes. I just think that he is no longer motivated to keep defending the title against the unhearalded prospects. There's nothing left for him to do at LHW. He should have lost to Reyes,but I just think he doesnt really care about this div anymore,andit was a smart move to give the title away. If Reyes is as good as people think he is,than he will be there waiting if Jones would win the title from Izzy. GSP and Jones held on to their titles for so long,they got tired of defending it. The point was made. The legacy cemented. So giving up the title leaves them free to pursue other big fights that werent there before,and gives the company less to control them with.

I dont think he was running from Reyes. I just think that he is no longer motivated to keep defending the title against the unhearalded prospects. There's nothing left for him to do at LHW. He should have lost to Reyes,but I just think he doesnt really care about this div anymore,andit was a smart move to give the title away. If Reyes is as good as people think he is,than he will be there waiting if Jones would win the title from Izzy. GSP and Jones held on to their titles for so long,they got tired of defending it. The point was made. The legacy cemented. So giving up the title leaves them free to pursue other big fights that werent there before,and gives the company less to control them with.

A prospect that many think beat you isnt exactly "unheralded" is he? if Jones was going to move up due to lack of big names he should have done so a few years previous.

Jones at LHW today would have more to proove in fans eyes than probably any point since his first win over Cormier.

I still remain to be convinced Jones will fight at HW at all, would not be at all supprised if this ends up like Rumble putting on muscle.

A prospect that many think beat you isnt exactly "unheralded" is he? if Jones was going to move up due to lack of big names he should have done so a few years previous.

Jones at LHW today would have more to proove in fans eyes than probably any point since his first win over Cormier.

I still remain to be convinced Jones will fight at HW at all, would not be at all supprised if this ends up like Rumble putting on muscle.
Its possible,I can see the prospect of fighting Izzy taking him away from HW

how many events Bellator had in 2020???

they are no threat, and they are doing worse than 3 years ago,
they lost a step and it is not surprising,
Coker is just a little too shy to bring more light to Bellator

I love Glover but tbh I think Izzy would make him look stupid.
Maybe with Izzy's movement he can avoid the takedown, but if Glover gets hold of his legs or body, his long thin body frame is going down, according to physics, and not sure Izzy has the BJJ to last very long with Glover on top.

Lyoto Machida: Won LHW belt and defended once. Lost subsequent LHW & MW title shots

Phil Davis: Lost 2 LHW title eliminators

Corey Anderson: Lost LHW title eliminator (versus Jan)

Anthony Johnson: Lost 2 LHW title fights

Yoel Romero: Lost 3 MW title fights and missed weight during another

Collectively they lost 7/8 title shots they were given and lost all three title eliminators.

Those title shots were against six different champions spanning two weight classes.

The last of them to leave (Yoel) turned down a fight with Johnny Walker (#9)

The last win any of them had in the UFC was against Johnny Walker (#9)

The ceiling of these guys (in current day) appears to be Johnny Walker (#9), not UFC LHW champion.

He vacated, it's still a double champ vs double champ. Especially if he drops down to fight Izzy at LHW for the belt he never lost. It would be a unification title fight.
I don’t think Jon will ever be capable of make LHW again. I could be wrong but it just seems highly improbable.

Champ Champ only counts if you have two titles at the same time though..Jones will not be considered Champ Champ

The UFC announces former former Interim Title holders as former champions when it suits their purpose. Rest assured, they'll do it anyway.

Or the simple explanation, which is the UFC views Izzy as a star and wants him to get double champ status. Plus, if he wins it gets rid of a champion that isn’t a big sell, like Blachowicz.

Back