There appears to be several camps in Carlson Gracie lineage: 1) Those who formally are listed ...

Shaolin Bushido

Yamato Damashii
@Gold
Reaction score
.. as affiliates on Carlson Jr's federation site and informally. Examples of the latter would be Marcus Soares and Marcelo Alonso. They visit and are visited by Carlson Jr from time to time. They seem to simply acknowledge their lineage and go their own way rather than affiliate mainly due to the amount of respect they obviously command. This is much like those longtime masters who either came up thru the belts with Jr or who are senior to him(some who even taught Carlson Jr) who remain in Brazil and teach at the original school and elsewhere in Brasil. Marcelo Saporito, Kiko Velloso, Carlos Manimal, Peixotinho Otavio, Carlos Rosado, Gutenberg Melo, Sergio Bolao, Carlos Barreto, Fernando Pinduka and more would be examples.

2) BJJ Revolution, started by Rodrigo Medeiros and Julio Foca Fernandes, Nova Geracao started by Toco Albuquerque and the aforementioned Rodrigo Medeiros, Top Brother headed by Cezar Casquinha Guimaraes proudly point to their Carlson roots though they are separate entities who call their own shots.

3) There are less well known relatives like Game Fight, GFTeam who were either started by Carlson BB's or guided by Carlson BB's for an extended time.

4) American Top Team, Brazilian Top Team do not enjoy as good a relationship with Carlson Jr and by extension, his affiliates due to the circumstances of their formation. I have never heard anything regarding the creation of Nova Uniao and how GM Carlson Sr felt about it. I don't recall seeing a relationship between Carlson Jr and Andre Pedeneiras or Murilo Bustamante though I have the distinct impression that Carlson Jr is not open to it, moreso than them. I don't know why it seems Murilo and Carlson have not reconciled because I have seen that Ricardo Liborio has buried the hatchet with Carlson Jr.

We all know of the schism where BTT was formed and much of it was action and reaction, misunderstanding and emotion. At that time and many of you were too young to recall this but BJJ was such a revolutionary entity at the time that when the athetes, aware of the brevity of stardom wondered how they best could capitalize before the opportunity disappered. The leaders of the competition team who were best at vale tudo felt uncertain due to GM seemingly paying singular attention to his student Vitor Belfort in the States and left or were expelled due to the perception they were supportive of and in favor of leaving Carlson Gracie Team.

Of course ATT was later formed when Ricardo Liborio was presented with a once in a lifetime opportunity and cannot be faulted for taking it. After all, though he was undisputedly a grappling god he did not experience the same level of success as a full contact fighter. He was a great coach however and coaching gave him an opportunity to secure his future as well as that of his family and the wisdom of that choice is obvious today in the great organization he built, students he's taught and champions who have at times dominated MMA.

I am a huge Carlson Gracie and Carlson Gracie Team fanatic and my question is this .. Is there a negative relationship between Carlson Gracie Federation led by Carlson Gracie Jr and Carlson Gracie Clube in Rio? I don't mean a malicious antipathetic one but one where they do not support one another somewhat. You never or rarely see anyone of Carlson Sr's students in Brasil enthusiastically laud Carlson Jr or see Carlson Jr shout out to Marcelo Saporito, Kiko Velloso or Manimal though they have long taught at the original academy even up til today. They all respect and pay respects to GM and his widow regularly. I do not mean to oversimplify that A=B=C or anything like that. I know that relationships can vary depending on so many variables but if anyone can contribute to a better understanding of the relationships in this great lineage I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
Yeah they totally hate each other. My friend goes to the Clube and he says all the federation guys call him "gaywad".

Who cares who likes or pays each other? If your instructor,instructor's instructor, instructor's instructor's instructor, or instructor's instructor's instructor's instructor got his BB from Carlson, then you are under Carlson Gracie lineage.
Lineage is more a marketing tool anyway.

Carlson supported Pederneiras and the formation Nova Uniao. He even offered to help Andre start up things if he needed. I think Andre moved far away from Carlson which led to heading this own team, no bad blood between them

Maybe.it's just.too late.tonight but I don't understand your comments or questions
I listed different professors and their relationships to the "main" Carlson line to clarify but I guess it just muddied up the question. I editted some of the oringinal question as I saw how it could seem to be suggesting stuff not really in evidence. As I said I'm a longtime fan of Carlson and all his various students/instructors out there .. I merely am inquiring if there are significant schisms out there that divide them and keep them from being more united and powerful as a result. That is the gist of it. Thanks for all you guys answers.

Last edited:
I listed different professors and their relationships to the "main" Carlson line to clarify but I guess it just muddied up the question. I editted some of the oringinal question as I saw how it could seem to be suggesting stuff not really in evidence. As I said I'm a longtime fan of Carlson and all his various students/instructors out there .. I merely am inquiring if there are significant schisms out there that divide them and keep them from being more united and powerful as a result. That is the gist of it. Thanks for all you guys answers.

There is an interview on rolled up with Carlson jnr and he talks about the people that left to create their own team. I think he mentioned that he dies not want them back as they were trying to create a strong competition by combining.

I find ironic when people go and buy a ATT affiliation and then starts posting the bulldog logo.

Why don't they go directly to jnr?

And/or do they realise that att is creonte to Carlson?

There is an interview on rolled up with Carlson jnr and he talks about the people that left to create their own team. I think he mentioned that he dies not want them back as they were trying to create a strong competition by combining.

I find ironic when people go and buy a ATT affiliation and then starts posting the bulldog logo.

Why don't they go directly to jnr?

And/or do they realise that att is creonte to Carlson?
I saw that video; that's why I mention that Liborio and he have reconciled though, unlike Murilo and BTT though I'm fairly certain that Murilo has made overtures. Though both Murilo and Ricardo were fighters that were considered leaders during the days leading up to the schism I believe both have said that neithr had actually left the team. They discovered they'd been booted and couldn't change Carlson's mind so they simply had to move on from there.

I saw that video; that's why I mention that Liborio and he have reconciled though, unlike Murilo and BTT though I'm fairly certain that Murilo has made overtures. Though both Murilo and Ricardo were fighters that were considered leaders during the days leading up to the schism I believe both have said that neithr had actually left the team. They discovered they'd been booted and couldn't change Carlson's mind so they simply had to move on from there.

When you said him, do you mean snr or jnr?

Not That it really matter.

It is just typical. Everyone wants their name on the wall, no one wants to pay money for affiliatiin if they can avoid to.

But one thing for sure, they love namedropping when required or needed to

Apparently Jr was a little abrasive and obtuse and then mellowed later in life. Could explain some of the falling out.

BJJ is an effective, and good martial art, but the drama that comes with it is unbelievable.

BJJ is an effective, and good martial art, but the drama that comes with it is unbelievable.
When you consider that this subject covers decades now as well as hundreds if not thousands of people it's probably comparable to just about anything. I am not instigating or stirring up anything .. only asking for clarification. I often wonder why questions like this cause people to get all cholicky ... if anyone knows or has anything to contribute that'd be great. If not .. well that'd be disappointing. Perhaps I assumed there'd be someone in this forum who could contribute because the grappling forum always had a greater incidence of knowledgeable posters for many years, compared to the other forums. Maybe there is nothing to add? I'll just go into the archived threads and see if I can find anything of interest concerning my favorite Jiu Jitsu team and of course, GM Carlson himself. I may be able to satisfy my curiouslity on my own. Thank y'all for not typing in caps, "SEARCH FUNCTION, NOOB"!

Yeah same things are hear from my judokas friends.

They literally are confused by the politics.

Their federations awards the black belt. No instructors can claim ownership over any students.

All the judokas can cross train at each others clubs for free and they are all happy.

When you consider that this subject covers decades now as well as hundreds if not thousands of people it's probably comparable to just about anything. I am not instigating or stirring up anything .. only asking for clarification. I often wonder why questions like this cause people to get all cholicky ... if anyone knows or has anything to contribute that'd be great. If not .. well that'd be disappointing. Perhaps I assumed there'd be someone in this forum who could contribute because the grappling forum always had a greater incidence of knowledgeable posters for many years, compared to the other forums. Maybe there is nothing to add? I'll just go into the archived threads and see if I can find anything of interest concerning my favorite Jiu Jitsu team and of course, GM Carlson himself. I may be able to satisfy my curiouslity on my own. Thank y'all for not typing in caps, "SEARCH FUNCTION, NOOB"!

I'm from Chicago, which is Carlson Gracie territory (the head quarters is here), MOST of the Chicago BJJ schools have some type of lineage that can be traced back to Carlson, and it is still very dramatic, this is the main reason why I am not in BJJ. With that said I respect the art, I just hate the drama.

I'm from Chicago, which is Carlson Gracie territory (the head quarters is here), MOST of the Chicago BJJ schools have some type of lineage that can be traced back to Carlson, and it is still very dramatic, this is the main reason why I am not in BJJ. With that said I respect the art, I just hate the drama.

Well. I teach Bjj program in a judo club.

No longer affiliated to any big name.

My students can train and attend any seminars they choose to.

Anyone that pays fees at another Bjj gyms is welcome to attend our classes as long as they are willing to follow ibjjf rules.

I am getting my degrees and the rest of the blah blah from ibjjf.

Problem solved.

It is just typical. Everyone wants their name on the wall, no one wants to pay money for affiliatiin if they can avoid to.

But one thing for sure, they love namedropping when required or needed to

Namedropping is lame when you're an affiliate that has barely ever trained with/under the association head, even lamer if you've never even met them.

Can you really call it name dropping when you trained from white belt to black belt under an instructor, got booted out of his association and started your own afterwards? In the case of Liberia/Busta/ATT etc, and all direct BB from Carlson, its hardly name dropping

Also, I have nothing against Carlson Jr. but I could see fully well why someone would affiliate with ATT/BTT over Calrson Jr.

ATT/BTT is the bigger name recognition with more famous fighters attached to the brand. Whereas Carlson Jr., only has his name and hasn't had much in the way of competitive achievement nor has he produced much high level talent

Back