Economy They're robbing FedEx trucks now

Is this new? Right out of HS I delivered food for a couple of years and drivers got robbed pretty regularly because we carried cash. We had "no delivery" areas of town because of that. Some of our drivers were moonlighting mail carriers and the older guys always carried mace or something like that.
“No delivery” areas of town?
That sounds racist.
The company you delivered food for should be cancelled for perpetuating racism.

Reads like some dystopian sci-fi.

"In the year 2024, the feud between hijackers and delivery drivers has led to outright war America's higways, as specially trained mobile Loss Prevention Officers exchange gunfire with heavily armed criminals at 80mph...."

Pretty soon we'll have gun turrets mounted on our Amazon vehicles..
There was a movie on Netflix with a similar story line. Can't remember the name but it was one of those Korean sci-fi ones.

“No delivery” areas of town?
That sounds racist.
The company you delivered food for should be cancelled for perpetuating racism.
The funny thing is that some muppets actually think like that for real.

I’m sure it’s largely where you live, but I’d wager these things are happening much more frequently in the last few years. Car thefts here in Chicago have been really crazy, they’ve increased threefold in the last few years and are continuing to get worse. https://www.illinoispolicy.org/chicago-car-thefts-at-11-year-high-in-2023-before-years-over/
Arrest rate also at a decade-level low. Like someone else mentioned, you get a lot of 13-15 year olds pulling these off and they’re caught and released in the same night.

The funny thing is that some muppets actually think like that for real.

What can ya do. Poverty and crime are a real thing and you don't want pizza guys shooting people or getting robbed. Most no go zones become that way because something happened there and no one wants it to happen again.

When I worked for cottage inn 20 years ago most of the city was open but there were some apartment complexes that we didn't go to and shacktown was drivers choice. Some would and some wouldn't.

Reads like some dystopian sci-fi.

"In the year 2024, the feud between hijackers and delivery drivers has led to outright war America's higways, as specially trained mobile Loss Prevention Officers exchange gunfire with heavily armed criminals at 80mph...."

Pretty soon we'll have gun turrets mounted on our Amazon vehicles..

Legit surprised the bigger Mega-Corps haven't gone Full Shadowrun yet and rolled out their own paramilitary security forces. ;)

I mean, I heard people say the same to me as I grow up - "we didn't used to lock our doors", and I'm sure it was true at one point - a lot depending on where you live, and all that, and how it's changed and how much bigger the area has become or whatever.

I'm not going to defend crime, but I do wonder how much of the worsening is real and how much is imagined or overexaggerated by the media.

We now have instant access to information on particularly worrying crimes or trends, I suppose the question is are people honest-to-God noticing a difference in their own lives?

BTW, fuck crime and shitty ass criminals, but media-led moral panicking isn't new and is kinda hardwired into us by this point.

I keep my door locked most times, but I've never noticed anyone trying the handle. I wonder what would happen if I just stopped locking it. I imagine, honestly, nothing.

My grandfather once told me you lock your doors at night only to keep an honest man honest.

A thief or burglar is going to get in regardless of locked doors. However if you leave your shit wide open and an honest man walks by, it may tempt him to take what's not his.

Now? lol.

They've been robbing delivery trucks for years.

Your answer didn't pertain to 'hysteria'.

You do understand what that word means, right?

You can Google it if you want.
Just admit you were trying too hard to be edgy and failed. Take the L. It was a dumb thing to ask. Asking why people are upset about crime.... FFS.

Yeah, I was joking, of course. I work retail, and even the security guards are only allowed to use force to defend themselves or staff/customers. Restraining a shoplifter is strictly verboten.
That's a cost-benefit analysis. Security guards were costing their employers more money than they were saving them. They were detaining and using force on innocent people, they were also applying force so broadly that they were harming innocent people while trying to detain criminals. And there were also the incidences where lawfully detained shoplifters were sexually assaulted or otherwise abused by the security forces.

The stores were getting killed in litigation by people who were harmed by security. Even when they could avoid liability, the litigation costs weren't worth it.

The pendulum is starting to swing back the other way, as all things eventually do. So, we'll see where businesses decide is the happy medium.

Yeah, I was joking, of course. I work retail, and even the security guards are only allowed to use force to defend themselves or staff/customers. Restraining a shoplifter is strictly verboten.
I think the time has come when its up to fellow shoppers to try and stop those roaches and you're seeing that more and more.

Just admit you were trying too hard to be edgy and failed. Take the L. It was a dumb thing to ask. Asking why people are upset about crime.... FFS.

I didn't ask why people are upset about crime.

What are you even thinking?

Back