Thoughts about Colby going to 155 division?

I think after this loss, it's obvious Kamaru is just a more powerful version of Colby that he will never be able to beat.

The fight was really close and if Colby pushed forward more in the 5h he could have won

UnpleasantTightKestrel-size_restricted.gif

Defend punchs with his Chin is Win ? I love sherdog<{1-7}>
They both defended punches with their chins. If Colby took advantage of Usman always dropping his head down when he was pressured, he could have won

I think it can be done. He is similar in size to Poirier:

View attachment 889709

And you are right. Colby's chances to beat Usman aren't great, not to mention he needs a couple of huge victories to get back into the title scene. It might be a good idea to cut his losses now, head down to 155 and dominate. If he can make weight, he has a good chance to be champ with his high output and grappling skills. He would probably beat Poirier and Oliveira, neutralise Islam, and completely murk Conor. Maybe Gaethje can blitz him early before he stacks up cumulative damage, but Gaethje is too hittable IMO and can easily get caught by Colby.
Conor 3.0 obliterates Covington and anyone else at 155

They both defended punches with their chins. If Colby took advantage of Usman always dropping his head down when he was pressured, he could have won

That pitter pat point punching maybe enough for aging one foot out the cage fighters, but not for Usman...

That pitter pat point punching maybe enough for aging one foot out the cage fighters, but not for Usman...
Well we saw it hurt Usman several times. And I was not even saying he would have finished him. He could have won the 5th and the fight if he pressured. Usman is very uncomfortable when he has to fight inside. He drops his head so he can't see shit. Colby took advantage of this in the third and 4th rounds, but stopped in the 5th

It was a VERY close competitive fight where both fighters showed how bad their striking is. It could have gone either way. Anyone acting like the fight showed Colby will never beat Usman is delusional

He's not even considering going to LW, he couldn't make it, why are so many people bringing this up?

I wouldn’t say never, I think this was the first fight where Usman is possibly starting to slow down. His age is starting to get there and these types of fights aren’t gonna help either.

If Usman is still champ in a year or two and Colby gets a 3rd fight it’s very possible he can win.

Well we saw it hurt Usman several times. And I was not even saying he would have finished him. He could have won the 5th and the fight if he pressured. Usman is very uncomfortable when he has to fight inside. He drops his head so he can't see shit. Colby took advantage of this in the third and 4th rounds, but stopped in the 5th

It was a VERY close competitive fight where both fighters showed how bad their striking is. It could have gone either way. Anyone acting like the fight showed Colby will never beat Usman is delusional

No... Usman beat him up physically & visually you saw the effects of when Usman hit Colby, did not ever get the feeling Usman was hurt even when Colby got a few pokes in, keyword "pokes"...

No... Usman beat him up physically & visually you saw the effects of when Usman hit Colby, did not ever get the feeling Usman was hurt even when Colby got a few pokes in, keyword "pokes"...

When you consider that the 2nd was a pretty obvious 10-8 round for Kamaru (that none of the judges called as such), the best Colby could have done would be a draw with those last 3 rounds. But he didn't cuz Usman was the slightly better man and earned the W. I'm kinda surprised there are so many folks on here that don't see it this way but the better man won last night.

What the fuck were you watching? It all came down to a very close 5th round. Usman and Colb both looked like shit, but it was undeniably a very, very close fight between two guys who are awful strikers

Amazing how he hangs at the very top of 170. Wonder if he has ever considered trying 155?

He already said he walks around at 180ish, and won't cut down to 155, unfortunately.

He won't get another shot at the WW title as long as Usman is there, so he'll just be a gatekeeper for contenders.

This reminds me of Rashad Evans after his lackluster performance against Jones. He stayed at 205 and just fought chumps until he lost a few more times and FINALLY moved down to 185 too late in his career when if he moved to 186 immediately after Jones he would have been on a fasttrack to a title fight against Anderson Silva.

Colby is now in that exact same situation. If he went down to 155 he'd be a HUGE Lightweight, immediately get big fights, and on the fasttrack to a title shot.

Unfortunately, it sounds like he's content with being a gratekeeper for Usman.

He's too much of a fat doughboy to get to 155lb. Uncle Dana has tried to give him an easy road to the Title. Covington hasn't fought Edwards, Wonderboy, Masvidal and a few other top ranked fighters and he gets 2 title shots. What a joke.

He already said he walks around at 180ish, and won't cut down to 155, unfortunately.

He won't get another shot at the WW title as long as Usman is there, so he'll just be a gatekeeper for contenders.

This reminds me of Rashad Evans after his lackluster performance against Jones. He stayed at 205 and just fought chumps until he lost a few more times and FINALLY moved down to 185 too late in his career when if he moved to 186 immediately after Jones he would have been on a fasttrack to a title fight against Anderson Silva.

Colby is now in that exact same situation. If he went down to 155 he'd be a HUGE Lightweight, immediately get big fights, and on the fasttrack to a title shot.

Unfortunately, it sounds like he's content with being a gratekeeper for Usman.

Evans was absurdly jacked. He wrestled 174lbs in college.

FYI, that is the same weight Colby wrestled as a senior in college. He is lean and bone dry on the scale making 170lbs.

Anyone saying Colby can make a scale read 155lbs have never wrestled or fought. He hasn't been that size since he was 15 years old.

Back