Thoughts on Ben Askren/Lawler.

EmbraceTheGrind

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
First off, it was a nice slam, I do remember Gus getting some good TDs on DC. Robbie showed explosiveness I didn't know he still had. Also, Askren showed amazing durability and toughness, he immediately got back to his feet after some shots from hell and got a hold of lawler and really imposed his will on him along the fence. The choke was pretty deep and idk if Lawler was getting out, but Herb shouldn't be crucified, he's a great ref and the angle i saw it was tough from herbs POV. Either run it back or give Askren another top 10 while Colby and Usman fight.

Ben Askren destroyed Robbie Lawler and nerds cant fathom it. Funky didn't even want the fight. He just did it for the lulz and rekt one of the best WW's ever.

As someone who had never seen an actual Ben Askren fight i didnt think he looked that great. He looked like someone with zero natural athleticism. Im not saying that as an insult, if anything it makes his accomplishments more impressive, but i dont see him doing great in the UFC. He showed incredible toughness and i think the stoppage was justified.

Everyone made fun of his lack of athleticism but he just zombie walked towards Lawler and took him down with a casual effort.
Once again proving that footwork to avoid wrestling is a myth and the better wrestler wins.

Herb continues to make horrible decisions. Same shit different day.

Askren had more grit than I gave him credit for. I have to admit that. The rest was entirely unimpressive. Herb fucked up another fight. Askren gets a gift win and starts shooting his mouth off.

He’s still pretty much who I thought he was. Just a little tougher.

Herb continues to make horrible decisions. Same shit different day.

If Herb hadn’t called it then, he would’ve called it 10 seconds later when Robbie tapped or sub’d.

Askren took control, that shit was a wrap.

Askren lost the first round. He was on queer street for like 3 minutes. Don't get me wrong the fact that he didn't get finished and 'submitted' Woodley is a true testament to his grit. I think we should get a rematch, however, given the controversial nature of the stoppage. We were robbed of an otherwise amazing fight in the making.

Askren lost the first round. He was on queer street for like 3 minutes. Don't get me wrong the fact that he didn't get finished and 'submitted' Woodley is a true testament to his grit. I think we should get a rematch, however, given the controversial nature of the stoppage. We were robbed of an otherwise amazing fight in the making.
he got up and completely controlled lawler along the fence. Lawler had no answer. "Queer street" or not lawler gave him his best and ben still shook it off and proceeded to dominate him. Hope there's a rematch and we'll see if you lawler fanboys put your money where your mouth is.

Askren didn't lose the first round because the first round never ended. Despite the beating he took in the initial minute, it was possible even without the fight ending with that choke that he would have transitioned to a top position and possible he would have dominated on the ground. Or Lawler could have gotten out and KOd Ben on the feet. Either way I don't think it's fair to say Askren lost that round. If anything the momentum was shifting in his favor

Everyone made fun of his lack of athleticism but he just zombie walked towards Lawler and took him down with a casual effort.
Once again proving that footwork to avoid wrestling is a myth and the better wrestler wins.
Wrestling is the strongest.
Wrestling with a giant afro is stronger than that.

What the hell are you talking about? Lose the first round? He won it in the first round! And what does Woodley have to do with this?

How is Herb a good ref? His recent track record is awful.

What are you talking about? Lawler is not the type to use footwork to defend TDs. He is a tank - good at breaking TDs, not denying them with footwork, or even fighting on the move.

I like Robbie, & I think in hindsight it was a bad stoppage, but it's Robbie's responsibility to make sure Herb knows that he is not out. The way Robbie's arm fell & the fact that he isn't moving, it's tough to blame the stoppage all on Herb even with 1 thumbs up that Herb may or may not have seen.
The only way I want to see a rematch is if they can turn this around & redo it quickly. Robbie hasn't been very active lately. If Robbie is planning on taking a 8-12 month "family vacation" & Askren is ready to fight, let Askren fight someone else.

Back