Thumb up vs palm down debate with RJJ, Tom Yankello, Dr. DeMeo & Frank Velasquez

I like palm facing me. It's how I was taught. Feels more powerful maybe a bit slower.

My experience is you can only punch the face palm down. Palm facing you for body shots.

Palm down feels like a shorter snappier hook, with a different timing on the pop.

I thought the most over talked is how to combat the evil terrorists known as southpaws

That topic IS essential for our survival, brother! We need to discuss it more! Southpaws are known Chaos supporters, so only those with the true faith to the Emperor could oppose them!

i was taught palm facing me, but hooking with palm facing down has more force and feels a tad more natural to me. The latter is better on my wrist. Interesting thought about it being bad on the shoulder
So you're saying that palms facing down is better on your wrist? Everyone I know with wrist problems including myself say that it hurts the wrist more. I do feel like I can get more power with my palms down though. But with palms towards me I can counter faster

So you're saying that palms facing down is better on your wrist? Everyone I know with wrist problems including myself say that it hurts the wrist more. I do feel like I can get more power with my palms down though. But with palms towards me I can counter faster
Might be a technical part on my end, but palms facing me, I've gotten more wrist jams.

Hook with your elbow not your fist. boxers love it.

Might be a technical part on my end, but palms facing me, I've gotten more wrist jams.
What part of the wrist is it that hurts? The ecu/ulnar side if the wrist is what I've found gets aggravated by palms down hooks

What part of the wrist is it that hurts? The ecu/ulnar side if the wrist is what I've found gets aggravated by palms down hooks
I'm not too sure about the exact anatomy of it, but I guess it would be the top part on the direction of the back of my hand, but a bit strain to the sides, not as much though. If that kind of makes sense

I teach palm facing me but explain to folks it doesn’t really matter and the coaching world is split on it
That's the answer right there. There are wrong ways to do things, but there's usually several right ways to do things. I teach what i do, i show what other peoplw do, then i let the person decide how they want to do it

In such debates I follow the JLI school of thought: Just Land It (no matter how) :)

I've seen a lot of arguments in favor of each type of hook throughout the years but never realized hooking with the palm down (which I always do) was medically bad for the rotator cuff.

What do you think?

If you're holding your arm thumb up, or palm down, you can feel the muscle engaging a little in order to rotate and hold it in that position, right? But if you're just holding the arm in a relaxed state, it's in a somewhat diagonal posture; that's the sweet spot for putting force through hooks imo.

When you're hooking at long distance, a bit of extra internal rotation is almost inevitable, just from the act of reaching out for the other guy.

If you're holding your arm thumb up, or palm down, you can feel the muscle engaging a little in order to rotate and hold it in that position, right? But if you're just holding the arm in a relaxed state, it's in a somewhat diagonal posture; that's the sweet spot for putting force through hooks imo.

When you're hooking at long distance, a bit of extra internal rotation is almost inevitable, just from the act of reaching out for the other guy.

Thats how I punch normally but I do find myself throwing hooks palm facing me at long distance, especially at the body.

I think it depends in the situation too, its good to be able to mix it up and throw both ways, both can be effect if used right. If you usually punch palm down when your up close and your opponent has a tight guard you throw a hook thumb up you've got more chance of slipping one in behind his guard and landing.

Thats how I punch normally but I do find myself throwing hooks palm facing me at long distance, especially at the body.

Whether you're punching down or punching up can make a big difference in what feels comfortable. Most people tend to hook thumb up to the body without ever really thinking about it, and likewise, at the same time, rotate more palm down when going for the head, like Joe Frazier's famous leaping lead hook.

Back