Thursday Night Training Vid

patferrari

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Some of Thursday Nights Sparring,

just some questions and advice would be appreciated, im the big guy with the red shirt and mohawk

my question is so im a lefty for writing, kicking, eating preety much everything but ever since i first started boxing i have been fighting with my right as my jab but knowing my left hand is my strongest hand so my right cross isnt as powerfull as i know it could be

for the past fight camp and past weeks i have been switching stances and using my right hand as 1, jab and 2 as my left cross and when my left cross lands its a bomb...thing is my jab and hooks with lead hands just feels majorly strange and alkwards..

would it just be best for me to keep training using it till i get re used to my lead hand as my right?? anyways thanks guys! osssss

I think you should just grow a bigger mohawk. then noone will fight you

What's your weight? You need to slim down big man, it's impossble to move well carrying that extra weight. That should be your first priority, everything will get easier from then on.

Edit: Also, your post doesn't make sense. You say that you are left handed, but have been using your right hand as your jab since you began (southpaw) and then these last few weeks you've been using your right hand as your jab (still southpaw). Did you mean to say you have been standing with your left hand forward (orthodox) when you began and then just now switched to southpaw?

PS: You can hardly see you in the video as well so it's hard to critique.

What's your weight? You need to slim down big man, it's impossble to move well carrying that extra weight. That should be your first priority, everything will get easier from then on.

Edit: Also, your post doesn't make sense. You say that you are left handed, but have been using your right hand as your jab since you began (southpaw) and then these last few weeks you've been using your right hand as your jab (still southpaw). Did you mean to say you have been standing with your left hand forward (orthodox) when you began and then just now switched to southpaw?

PS: You can hardly see you in the video as well so it's hard to critique.

as of now i am 355 i was 361 last week, i am doing IF to make it easier with calorie counting as well as i cut soda, i was drinking coke like 3 times a day safe to say i was addicted to coke...a cola, anyways i cut soda and am work on slimming down week by week but can feel the difference in my cardio already with no soda and IF style of eating.

but my mistake, yes since i started training i use my left hand as my jab and cross is my right....even though i know it should be opposite and thus knowing this for the past couple of weeks i switch stances to practice southpaw but throwing jabs and lead hooks still feels really awkward i just need to keep hitting mits/sparing/shaddowboxing while in southpaw stance to get used to it

as of now i am 355 i was 361 last week, i am doing IF to make it easier with calorie counting as well as i cut soda, i was drinking coke like 3 times a day safe to say i was addicted to coke...a cola, anyways i cut soda and am work on slimming down week by week but can feel the difference in my cardio already with no soda and IF style of eating.

but my mistake, yes since i started training i use my left hand as my jab and cross is my right....even though i know it should be opposite and thus knowing this for the past couple of weeks i switch stances to practice southpaw but throwing jabs and lead hooks still feels really awkward i just need to keep hitting mits/sparing/shaddowboxing while in southpaw stance to get used to it
You don't HAVE to be southpaw just because you are a left handed, although that is the norm. If you want to stick with it, yes then it will take some getting used to. Maybe others have better suggestions in that regard, but ask your coach what he thinks.

Congrats on the weight loss, keep it up!

You don't HAVE to be southpaw just because you are a left handed, although that is the norm. If you want to stick with it, yes then it will take some getting used to. Maybe others have better suggestions in that regard, but ask your coach what he thinks.

Congrats on the weight loss, keep it up!

thank you! i had a fight scheduled at super heavyweight last saturday and my opponent backed out after 4 hours of driving to new york

and well i know it doesnt have to be like that but after talking to sparing partners and my own knowledge i have noticed when i land the straight left, it has WAAAAY more power and "pop" to it and quicker than my right cross, so i know if i fought southpaw that i would benefit way more fighting orthodox..

and thank you! taking it week by week! just doing IF, 16/8 eating lunch, than eating after training around 7 and not eating till 12 again next day, easy to count calories etc. feel great.

How you feel in terms of stance, balance, and movement? While in ortho? If your leftt side is alot stronger but your everything else is off don't do it. Instead have attacks you do from that stance and ocassionally use them.

You're still very green so stick with a stance where you have balance , mobility and its stable opposed to switching back and forth and having half the exp of what you should bring. Power is good, but its point less without the others

Also your teammate in the white shirt needs to keep his chin down or he's gonna end up in KO city.

Less black shirt blocking knees on the clinch wasb hard to watch as I've seen ppl do that end up with broken forearms

How you feel in terms of stance, balance, and movement? While in ortho? If your leftt side is alot stronger but your everything else is off don't do it. Instead have attacks you do from that stance and ocassionally use them.

You're still very green so stick with a stance where you have balance , mobility and its stable opposed to switching back and forth and having half the exp of what you should bring. Power is good, but its point less without the others

Also your teammate in the white shirt needs to keep his chin down or he's gonna end up in KO city.

Less black shirt blocking knees on the clinch wasb hard to watch as I've seen ppl do that end up with broken forearms

my movement and balance isnt too much of an issue, my footwork is alright while in southpaw. not as good as it is while im in orthodox but my balance and my movement still feel alright, the awkwardness and jankyness that im talking about is more of the jabs and lead hooks with my right.

next week im gonna record some more videos focusing only on me for you guys to see, from sparring with a couple of people, the dude in the black shirt and my step brother the dall vato loco looking guy, when my left straight lands its a big big difference in power..

the black shirt dude stated that even when he would plant his foot while bracing for my left straight that it would still push him back and that he dint see it coming, when i through the left straight it just feels WAAY more fluid than when i throw a straight cross with my right.

Switching partners without rest... that’s that shit I don’t like. I know it’s light sparring though, but still.

Why did you stop mid round in the video? Looked like you were getting some good work in.
Also if this is the type of sparring you are doing preparing for your fight.. I have some bad news

Switching partners without rest... that’s that shit I don’t like. I know it’s light sparring though, but still.

Why did you stop mid round in the video? Looked like you were getting some good work in.
Also if this is the type of sparring you are doing preparing for your fight.. I have some bad news

Still looking for another fight, and rest for what? No one takes rest after light sparring doing 1:30 rounds lol and at the beggining i stopped because he hit me with the glove and my contacts almost popped out.

My last fight that opponent never showed up was last Saturday and sparing sessions was er and more intense.

As a natural southpaw that's recently switched to orthodox I'm going to throw my bit in here.

At the end of the day there will be advantages and disadvantages to boxing either stance. When I boxed southpaw I had a left cross that was accurate and strong, and alot of my work revolved around setting up a left hand shot. But my jab hand was weaker.

Now as an orthodox, I have a solid jab and left hook, and I score most frequently with these...but it's much harder for me to land a meaningful right cross, because as my non-dominant hand, the power, and more importantly, sense of timing, isn't there. ALOT of my effort at the gym is focused on having my right hand catch up.

And then there's your footwork - not just how well you move around, but also little things like which leg you naturally prefer to have your weight on because these will open up certain possibilities and close down others. As an orthodox I have a real hard time slipping to the outside because I tend to put my weight on the front foot. But as a southpaw it's really the bread and butter to get the outside foot advantage, and I had no problems with this because I was much more fluid with my weight shifts.

So either way you're going to have to do work to shore up your weaknesses because eventually they'll be exploited by someone. If you don't mind spending a bit of time 'not knowing' then play around with it for a little while and see what works best. I say this because as a fellow left hander we tend to be more ambidextrous than most people because society has been set up for right handers - so to get by we've had to learn to adapt to being somewhat competent with both hands. Eventually you'll find which way feels the best.

But if you want to actively compete, I reckon it's best to just pick a side and stick with while training for a fight, otherwise you'll just confuse your motor patterns. Hope that helps.

As a natural southpaw that's recently switched to orthodox I'm going to throw my bit in here.

At the end of the day there will be advantages and disadvantages to boxing either stance. When I boxed southpaw I had a left cross that was accurate and strong, and alot of my work revolved around setting up a left hand shot. But my jab hand was weaker.

Now as an orthodox, I have a solid jab and left hook, and I score most frequently with these...but it's much harder for me to land a meaningful right cross, because as my non-dominant hand, the power, and more importantly, sense of timing, isn't there. ALOT of my effort at the gym is focused on having my right hand catch up.

And then there's your footwork - not just how well you move around, but also little things like which leg you naturally prefer to have your weight on because these will open up certain possibilities and close down others. As an orthodox I have a real hard time slipping to the outside because I tend to put my weight on the front foot. But as a southpaw it's really the bread and butter to get the outside foot advantage, and I had no problems with this because I was much more fluid with my weight shifts.

So either way you're going to have to do work to shore up your weaknesses because eventually they'll be exploited by someone. If you don't mind spending a bit of time 'not knowing' then play around with it for a little while and see what works best. I say this because as a fellow left hander we tend to be more ambidextrous than most people because society has been set up for right handers - so to get by we've had to learn to adapt to being somewhat competent with both hands. Eventually you'll find which way feels the best.

But if you want to actively compete, I reckon it's best to just pick a side and stick with while training for a fight, otherwise you'll just confuse your motor patterns. Hope that helps.
Got it,

Insight like this is why i post asking for opinions and advice, thank you sir

For the best round of critiquing me just focus on from 9:05 best round against mu brother, you can see my movement is preety good, head movement, i cut some angles once or twice too,

May I suggest you timestamp your original post so people know where to start watching from.

There are other people here with much better eyes for critique than myself but these are the things that jumped out at me.

- At around 9:15 while you decide which stance you're go going to work out of, you stand dead square You stand square a number of other times throughout the round for prolonged periods (talking seconds here, but this is long enough). This is not good - a solid shot with direct forward momentum will send you straight on your arse because your legs aren't there to counteract the force. If you're going to switch your stances at least make it decisively one or the other, and if you're going to stand square at least be out of striking range. Muay thai guys get away with standing a bit more square, but they are on the balls of their feet alot more, leading to the next thing that stuck out to me:

- You spend way too much time with your weight on your heels, both while stationary and in motion. When you do this you are not allowing your ankles to do their job as natural springs. So you're both hindering your power/explosiveness/agility, and your ability to take shots. You can see it pretty clearly when you walk backwards - when your left foot steps, the heel is the last thing to leave the ground. Being flat footed like this makes you more prone to knockdowns - not because necessarily because it's a great shot - but because it throws you off balance.

- You threw some nicely timed left (lead) hand counters. Going back to the earlier topic, the result of having your dominant hand up front. Also you're pretty relaxed when you move around, which I like.

Do you have a target weight you're cutting down too? Someone mentioned it earlier and I'd agree that you're not near your optimal weight to fight from. For me more than anything you can see it in the way your legs take the load from your upper body. But the good thing is, as the kilos drop you'll find yourself more even lighter on your feet, more agile, and more powerful. This would be awesome to see.

Also, props to the older lady in the pink shirt sparring. We've got a guy that trains at my gym who has multiple sclerosis. Reminds you that everyone has their own battles to fight and it's not always about winning comps.

May I suggest you timestamp your original post so people know where to start watching from.

There are other people here with much better eyes for critique than myself but these are the things that jumped out at me.

- At around 9:15 while you decide which stance you're go going to work out of, you stand dead square You stand square a number of other times throughout the round for prolonged periods (talking seconds here, but this is long enough). This is not good - a solid shot with direct forward momentum will send you straight on your arse because your legs aren't there to counteract the force. If you're going to switch your stances at least make it decisively one or the other, and if you're going to stand square at least be out of striking range. Muay thai guys get away with standing a bit more square, but they are on the balls of their feet alot more, leading to the next thing that stuck out to me:

- You spend way too much time with your weight on your heels, both while stationary and in motion. When you do this you are not allowing your ankles to do their job as natural springs. So you're both hindering your power/explosiveness/agility, and your ability to take shots. You can see it pretty clearly when you walk backwards - when your left foot steps, the heel is the last thing to leave the ground. Being flat footed like this makes you more prone to knockdowns - not because necessarily because it's a great shot - but because it throws you off balance.

- You threw some nicely timed left (lead) hand counters. Going back to the earlier topic, the result of having your dominant hand up front. Also you're pretty relaxed when you move around, which I like.

Do you have a target weight you're cutting down too? Someone mentioned it earlier and I'd agree that you're not near your optimal weight to fight from. For me more than anything you can see it in the way your legs take the load from your upper body. But the good thing is, as the kilos drop you'll find yourself more even lighter on your feet, more agile, and more powerful. This would be awesome to see.

Also, props to the older lady in the pink shirt sparring. We've got a guy that trains at my gym who has multiple sclerosis. Reminds you that everyone has their own battles to fight and it's not always about winning comps.

thank you sir, i was watching on my big screen yesterday looking for things i can pin point on a bigger than and the MAIN thing i noticed is exactly what you were saying about me being WAY too flat footed way too much, and my goal weight is about 265 atleast, but i will get some Super HeavyWegith fights in NY for cage wars until i lose more and more weight, im doing IF like i said and losing weight quite comforterbally without the DIEt Emphasis since if makes calorie counting sooo much easier, no soda, WATER 24/7 with some black coffee and i been feelling great and feel my cardio getting even better every day.

as for the stance issue, how would i go about switching stances properly when i do want to switch?

I disagree with a lot of the advice telling you stay fighting orthodox if that’s where you feel comfortable. That would be like a left handed kid who plays his first season of baseball telling his coach he feels very awkward having to catch balls with his right hand, so he wants to catch with his left and throw with his right. No baseball coach would ever agree to that. When learning something new you have to go through those awkward phases and learn the proper fundamentals. It’s actually quite common for beginners learning combat sports to want to fight with their strong side to the front, as it feels more natural to them. But they are almost always turned around by their coach and taught the proper stance. Fighting with your strong hand as lead, you will only have one real ko punch, your left hook. If you fight south paw though your left cross will be a ko punch as well as your right hook, because a hook punch has so much leverage to it (if you put your body into it) that it can still ko people even with your weak hand. A jab has many many purposes, and none of them are to knockout your opponent. You can accomplish everything you need with jab with your weak hand. And finally, southpaws have tremendous advantages in the fight game! Why would you want to give that up? Many fighters, especially beginners, have real trouble fighting southpaws. I read something once that said left handed people are only 10% of the population but like 25% of high level fighters are left handed. Why? The advantage they have over other fighters helps them get to the top.

I promise if you throw 100 right hand jabs and hooks everyday for even just 30 days you’ll start to feel much more comfortable. P.S. I’m a southpaw.

With all due respect (my opinion may differ from others) but I believe the weight loss should be your main priority. Posture, balance.. well overall physical conditioning is very important especially if you want to become a good fighter which I'd say is one of your goals based on your post. Without the right conditioning, your technique will probably turn half assed once fatigued and you may pick up bad habits over the course of repetition which can be daunting to fix. Just my 2 cents.

If it's just for fitness and weight loss, solid man. Glad you found martial arts to help you achieve those goals. Keep it up.

P.s im a leftie and my primary stance would be southpaw. It just feels more natural. Especially with kicks and combination set ups. Though I do sometimes switch stances to mix things up but only to get in the pocket to set up a left hook or in the middle of a combination. I'd say itll be more the footwork for a particular combo than a stance switch though.

Is this a boxing sparing class? Or kickboxing sparring? Just confused as some are kicking and some purely boxing haha. If kickboxing mix it up bit more man.

Last edited:
Back