Tips Against Guys in a Bladed Stance Who lean back to avoid punches?

Hammer him in the body - you can lean back with your head, but you can't move your body.

I doubt he can block body shots the way Mayweather does.

or sweep the leg if he's side ways.

or takedown gnp ufc just bleed style

Next time your arms get tangled up go for a flying armbar.

peek-a-boo, fake body and overhand to the head, leg kicks, back away and be patient because that style requires you to be agressive, and lastly work on moving around him instead of walking straight in and he should be open to a hook or two. Just a few ideas you'll have to try what you feel comfortable with and see which makes him uncomfortable. shelling and rushing close would be the easiest to do for example but if you dont want a slugfest its not your best option.

try combination punching

Also its pretty easy to hit a guy if you know what hes gonna do, try to anticipate his lean

I know the type. He's fast, so when I throw leg kicks he leaps forward and I eat it. So I set up with feints and a strong jab and go to the body. He gets tired after a while.

Leaning backwards is stupid in boxing.

Just take an extra step

Watch the Ali vs Norton fights

now

The main difference between you guys and them is that their in a ring so Norton can come in with his jab and back Ali up against the ropes. As you guys probably dont have a ring you need to feint more to get him to lean back but the principles are the same.

combinations is the key ,, when i can pattern a guy , i throw a 3 or 4 or even five punch combination, i dont have any intentions on landing the first few punches , its the last few im really going for , use your footwork to close the gap .

when kicking is involved , this method is used frequently , we call it using motion , strike on the first motion , or third motion ect... same with countering , we will say counter the first motion or second motion ect...

Fake a blast in and watch your distance so you dont get hit with power. As they presumably kick let them extend and be just outside reach. As they draw their leg back just follow it back in and smother it so they cant throw twice. This takes timing, distance and a good first step. At this time, they will prob throw out a defensive backfist so keep your back hand up to block it. It that works, just run right through him. Bounce your body off his if necessary. The idea is to keep him sideways and his feet together as you land hooks. End with a good hook to the back which might push him towards the right (presuming he was right side forward) and end with a hard low body kick.

He will come back harder two or three more times but if you can time, absorb smother and punish him, you will destroy his game and he will lose confidence. This is the part of fighting that I love. Finding a way to take away weapons and watch a fighter struggle.

Why are people still talking about kicks?

Watch Nas vs Barrera to see how to deal with someone who stand side on and leans back a lot. Step up on them, throws combos and use your footwork to get on their outside. There is only so far they can lean back but their feet won't be under them so they can't move any further away. Hit to the body with hooks to straighten them up and then hook to the head which will be right there for you.

Getting on their outside is even easier because you have less far to go as they are so side on. One step will take you to their outside. Watch how Barrera is circling to Nas's outside almost the entire fight.

Watching it back just reminds me of what a great strategist Marco was.

Why are people still talking about kicks?

because they are like kryptonite, when all else fails just kick the guy.......... If only I'd of realized this earlier I could avoided all that time learning footwork, defense, positioning, etc...... and just "kicked the shit out of everyone". :eek:

Hammer him in the body - you can lean back with your head, but you can't move your body.

I doubt he can block body shots the way Mayweather does.

Yep! get to his body which will get his feet set, then IMO the best way to get to his head is to get inside and pivot as soon as leans back, then attack him straight on (pressure, keep on him) while he's adjusting.

Last edited:
Back