To the Athlete burning out on SS/SL5x5

I dont disagree with the ramped up 5 x 5. That is a good way to train for most people. I guess it also dependent how heavy your cleans are. I program most of my cleans at 5 x 2, but I can also clean above bodyweight.
Remember this is a novice/early intermediate program so if anyone is cleaning bodyweight and wants to use this program as written then they're making a mistake.

Fights are more stop and go than not. The qualities you list don't sound like you have no idea the fuck American Football is or how athletic the players are.

You only work in the 85-90% range one day out of the week, not every session.

On your off season? Absolutely

So again, maybe it's a lack of comprehension on your part but you basically are arguing a strong man.

Enjoy the bosu ball lunges bro

I am arguing a strong man not in a power lifting or strong man competition, not even in american football. I am arguing mostly strength needed for sports. And not actually strength needed for sports but lifting 85-95 %. I am arguing about programming 85-95% lifts 3 x week when clearly there are more beneficial stuff one can do based on his sports.

So what is you sugestion in the.end lift 85-95% only once per week? I need to make this clear.

My old man used to be a wrestler. His team in sports school has trained twice per week with the olympic lifting team. I can not argue for example with this. They are wrestlers and strenght training has huge benefits in their sport too. I hope you see where I come from and where I want to go with this convo. There is no optimal way of training for every sport.

I am not doing anything but lifting at the moment. Yesterday was a pull day in my peak week. After doing 5 sets of 6 ,DL, 5x10 barbel rows, 5x8 chin ups, 5x12 reverse flyes and 5x10 biceps curls I am so beat up that I am skipping my push day to take a rest. I do not lift heavy. I am also an amateur soccer player, can you imagine if I had a practice today, how would I feel?

Last edited:
I am arguing a strong man not in a power lifting or strong man competition, not even in american football. I am arguing mostly strength needed for sports. And not actually strength needed for sports but lifting 85-95 %. I am arguing about programming 85-95% lifts 3 x week when clearly there are more beneficial stuff one can do based on his sports.

So what is you sugestion in the.end lift 85-95% only once per week? I need to make this clear.

My old man used to be a wrestler. His team in sports school has trained twice per week with the olympic lifting team. I can not argue for example with this. They are wrestlers and strenght training has huge benefits in their sport too. I hope you see where I come from and where I want to go with this convo. There is no optimal way of training for every sport.

I am not doing anything but lifting at the moment. Yesterday was a pull day in my peak week. After doing 5 sets of 6 ,DL, 5x10 barbel rows, 5x8 chin ups, 5x12 reverse flyes and 5x10 biceps curls I am so beat up that I am skipping my push day to take a rest. I do not lift heavy. I am also an amateur soccer player, can you imagine if I had a practice today, how would I feel?

All things else being equal, the stronger athlete will win every time..

I'll break it down for you.

The first day is heavy day. That is when you would squat a new 5 rep max (85%-90% 1rm) every week.

Second day is light day, either do a squat variation that doesn't impact your CNS so much like a front squat, or back squat 70-80% of what you did on heavy day.

The last day is medium day. Back squat with 80-90% of heavy days 5rm

The weight ramps up to a top set, so volume is low. The low volume allows an athlete to practice different things without killing him.

I woud never run a PPL unless I was training for a body building show. Srs

Lmao at mma fighter lifting weights 3 times a week.

Unless hes pro or "off season" then its ok

That is ridiculous there have been pro fighters on this very site for long time even this very board.

That is ridiculous there have been pro fighters on this very site for long time even this very board.

The 1% of posters thar are pro fighters arent using novice programs .Get real.

You are terribly misinformed. An athlete vying to become a professional fighter by default must do everything optimally and that’s would entail them grabbing the low hanging fruit that is beginner gains as quickly as possible. Every athletic quality is improved by gaining this strength majorly and is very important.

The caveat is that you cannot train mma 4x a week during this beginner strength gain period and it must be treated as an off-season where you go in and work technique with some light rolling/ pad work.

If you aren’t willing to take a few months to do that you won’t be competitive at any high level of mma.

After that strength must be carefully managed around the sport practice/conditioning sessions which should be gradually ramped up as that isn’t the main focus at that point. You are also at the same time trying to get stronger with less demanding sessions than RPE 10 for 3 sets across every single session.

The program you listed isn’t not optimal for anybody that reads this thread that is trying to become a pro fighter.

If that wasn’t your target audience here that’s fine but i am making an appoint to point that out.

You are terribly misinformed. An athlete vying to become a professional fighter by default must do everything optimally and that’s would entail them grabbing the low hanging fruit that is beginner gains as quickly as possible. Every athletic quality is improved by gaining this strength majorly and is very important.

The caveat is that you cannot train mma 4x a week during this beginner strength gain period and it must be treated as an off-season where you go in and work technique with some light rolling/ pad work.

If you aren’t willing to take a few months to do that you won’t be competitive at any high level of mma.

After that strength must be carefully managed around the sport practice/conditioning sessions which should be gradually ramped up as that isn’t the main focus at that point. You are also at the same time trying to get stronger with less demanding sessions than RPE 10 for 3 sets across every single session.

The program you listed isn’t not optimal for anybody that reads this thread that is trying to become a pro fighter.

If that wasn’t your target audience here that’s fine but i am making an appoint to point that out.

The majority of people here will be recreational athletes and never compete more than once or twice for their entire lives, and if you think you're lifting at an RPE 10 every session in this program you did not read the OP.

Fact is, everyone can benefit from being stonger. All things being equal the stronger athlete wins.

TL:DR People playing sports concurrently (who are not youth athletes) should have undulating loading throughout the training week, and have some element of auto-regulation (because of the extreme variation in fatigue they may have). The particular rep scheme and exercise selection don't matter very much unless there's a sport-specificity, injury, or skill concern.

Someone training the sport using an undulating structure (like most intermediate programs) will end up in the exact same place strength-wise as someone who takes time off for an LP, and will suffer less strength loss. If they're already experiencing burnout or something that would cause you to dial back MMA training that's fine, but the idea that you can't develop the athletic qualities needed unless you have a dedicated LP phase is...ill-supported in my opinion. There are people who need periodized block training to make progress. Novices are not them.

TL:DR People playing sports concurrently (who are not youth athletes) should have undulating loading throughout the training week, and have some element of auto-regulation (because of the extreme variation in fatigue they may have). The particular rep scheme and exercise selection don't matter very much unless there's a sport-specificity, injury, or skill concern.

5s gives the beat of both worlds in terms of strength and hypertropty for novices.

Someone training the sport using an undulating structure (like most intermediate programs) will end up in the exact same place strength-wise as someone who takes time off for an LP, and will suffer less strength loss. If they're already experiencing burnout or something that would cause you to dial back MMA training that's fine, but the idea that you can't develop the athletic qualities needed unless you have a dedicated LP phase is...ill-supported in my opinion. There are people who need periodized block training to make progress. Novices are not them.

i think i agree...

Back