Tom Aspinall confident despite ‘worst circumstances possible’ for #UFC295 title fight

Short notice title fight, worth it?

• Total voters
If you watch Embedded his dad, who's his coach, clearly isn't and thinks this is a colossal mistake.

Surprised the editors actually let his comments through. Never seen anything like it where a coach is essentially saying his fighter's about to get his ass kicked doing this and wants everybody to know it's not him pushing for this.

I do think a fully prepared Tom is probably the better fighter though.

Last edited:
I've grown very confident that Aspinall wins.

When he walked into the UFC with a 7-2 record and a bit of hype, I thought "well he can't be that good", but the guy is a monster. His power is just incredible, every shot he lands (even blocked shots) seem to send guys loopy. His takedowns have looked unstoppable, too.

It's a real shame we never got the Blaydes fight in a true sense, because that is easily the toughest opponent he's ever lined up against.

Destroying guys like Spivak, Tybura and Volkov is for sure impressive, but nothing Pavlovich couldn't have done.

Good job that 2021 fight between Aspinall and Pavlovich never happened! We've got two monsters charging in for a head on collision now, and I'm here for it.

Obviously whoever lands a good shot first has a real chance of finishing this one, and that makes both live bets: but I think Aspinall is better. I think he taps Pav in either R1 or R2.

Hmm, I don't agree with this beign the worst circumstances possible.

Did he not just see Volk and Usman stepping up a weight class to fight on 10 days notice?

That too, they had to cut weight... and they were fighting opponents who had full camps.

3 Weeks notice, HW fight where you don't have to cut weight.

I don't see how that so bad. Yes, sure. it would be nice to get a full 2 months camp I guess.

Sergei was the backup fighting for the HW title fight, right?

I guess he had a bit more time to train. But this is hardly worst case scenario.

Only downside is that it's not actually for the title. It is for an interim title... that too, the champ has no plan to come back and fight the interim champion. Total paper belt.

If you watch Embedded his dad, who's his coach, clearly isn't and thinks this is a colossal mistake.

Surprised the editors actually let his comments through. Never seen anything like it where a coach is essentially saying his fighter's about to get his ass kicked doing this and wants everybody to know it's not him pushing for this.

It's a Win-Win.... If he wins... Most likely setting up the biggest payday of his career later next year vs Jones or Stipe.

And really. Does anyone see this one going past 2-3 rounds? He just has to be blessed by the JBG Saturday Night.

"worst possible circumstances". Is he preloading media coverage of a forthcoming loss with a stealth excuse? Granted its far from ideal circumstances but isn't Pavlovich also going into a dangerous fight on short notice too?

"worst possible circumstances". Is he preloading media coverage of a forthcoming loss with a stealth excuse? Granted its far from ideal circumstances but isn't Pavlovich also going into a dangerous fight on short notice too?

Think he's saying Pav being a back up means he was probably training more intensively.

But that's on Tom, really.

<6>

"This might be the first of a few" is presumably talking about title shots, which also implies he thinks he'll lose and will have to work his way back to another title shot.

Wait, what? Stipe is still his opponent when he comes back?

<{anton}>

10 days ago Tom had a choice ;)

tom-aspinall.gif

He's already making excuses. War PAV!
Tom shows allot of respect for Pav, the self deprecating humor made you wonder how much of it was respect vs inferior complex....and admitted he fights best under pressure, which is fear. Problem with PAV, in the past, he could be much better than that now, but in the past looked bad off his back. Tom could someone who puts Pav on his back...so we will see...I see Tom going for the wrestling while Pav trying to end it with a KO.

just got home fromChemo boys! Fuck that shit!

anyways..

It’s not a career
“Worst possible circumstances” would be having a drunk Bisping and Daren Till as your only coaches
Tom will be OK
But will get KO
(Reverse OK)

Would he have stepped up , short notice , to fight GOAT Jones with basically no training camp?

A title shot is always worth it unless you absolutely have no confidence in yourself tbh sir.
It really depends on how hard it would be to get a full camp title shot.
A guy like Belal should take a shot on one days notice or he'll never get it, Conor can turn down any title fight anytime NBD.

Back